Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

I am brand new to serious mods like tweaking the suspension, lifting and anything external to my X. I have a 2007 S xterra and have decided to keep it instead of getting a new car. So i want to do some stuff to it for fun.

Id like to lift it a little, like 2" or so with the intent of putting up to 33" tires on the stock wheels at some point. I read through the sticky on options and have a few questions.

1: for the front, would replacing my stock suspension with the bilstein coilovers form the pro4X model do anything for lift? if not, how do you get a certain amount of lift out of going to coilovers? I dont quite get how they work.

2: On the rear, can i do shackles with a coil over? i see in the common setups that coilovers commonly go with AAL but id rather not run into driveline vibrations.

Any suggestions based on my goal of about 2" of lift and possible 33" tires would be greatly appreciated. And the more explanation the better. Id like to understand what i'm doing and not just blindly do things to my truck. I did just get the aries brush guard for the front so the coilovers seem like a good option based on increased weight.

Thanks,

Cory

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
OP your a bit confused on the rear, leaf springs not coilover out back. Now....

1. No Bilsteins from Pro4 will not give you lift. A spacer will, or you can buy a new coil spring, or a complete coilover assembly that is adjustable(Radflo,SAW,TJM, Bilstein) for ride height.

2. Rear lift can be achieved by new shackle, Add a Leaf(AAL) or a new custom spring pack( Alcan, Deaver, local spring company).

Hope this helps ya a bit in choosing what direction to go.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies guys.

I didnt mean to have coilovers on the rear. i just meant coilovers on the front, paired with shackle on the rear.

from what i read, the spacer doesnt do anything for you in terms of increased weight capacity. with the brush guard i bought, im anticipating more weight up front and therefore want to counter the sink from it with stiffer suspension, which i why i think i would want coilovers up front instead of just a spacer. are there different sized coils that giver you the different lift heights?

now on the rear, it sounds like the AAL is the best option due to its increased load capacity, even though it could result in vibrations.

for some reason, i cant see any of the pictures in the sticky except for the airbag assist thing which is the last option.

again thanks for the help while i start to piece together the ins and outs of this stuff.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
hey guys,

I am brand new to serious mods like tweaking the suspension, lifting and anything external to my X. I have a 2007 S xterra and have decided to keep it instead of getting a new car. So i want to do some stuff to it for fun.

Id like to lift it a little, like 2" or so with the intent of putting up to 33" tires on the stock wheels at some point. I read through the sticky on options and have a few questions.

1: for the front, would replacing my stock suspension with the bilstein coilovers form the pro4X model do anything for lift? if not, how do you get a certain amount of lift out of going to coilovers? I dont quite get how they work.

Coilovers, in simple terms, are springs and shock absorbers combined into a single unit. Shocks provide no lift, they just provide ride damping. Springs provide your lift. One either end will be some form of mounting bracket, one will attach (in the case of the Xterra) to a coilbucket that's welded on the frame, the other end will connect to the lower control arm which is part of what the wheel is connected to. So, by adding a longer coilover, you effectively push the wheel and control arms further down which lifts the body/frame of the truck up.
You already have coilovers in the front of your truck. You have a couple options to do the lift. You can just put spacers on the top of the stock coilovers to make them "longer" (no added travel here) or you can buy aftermarket, longer coilovers which, in most cases, will allow for more wheel travel as well.
If this all sounds like Greek to you, definitely get out, with this information in mind, and crawl around under the truck. It will come together.

2: On the rear, can i do shackles with a coil over? i see in the common setups that coilovers commonly go with AAL but id rather not run into driveline vibrations.

There are no coilovers on the back of the Xterra. Period. The rear is much more simple than the front. You simply have leaf springs. AAL is an Add A Leaf, this is a half way decent way to get more lift on your truck. Shackles will work, however if you combine them with AALs you would be better off. Shackles tend to help the process that causes the rear leaf springs to sag. If you add AALs, you atleast help to strengthen the stock leaf packs because you are physically adding leafs to the leaf pack. You should not have to worry to much about driveline vibrations with the size lift you are talking about.
So again, NO coilovers in the back. Leaf springs and stock shackles. An aftermarket shackle just pushes the leaf spring further down. Being that the axle is attached to the leaf spring, this pushes the body/frame further up, providing lift.

Again, if this isn't making sense, get out and crawl around under the truck.

Any suggestions based on my goal of about 2" of lift and possible 33" tires would be greatly appreciated. And the more explanation the better. Id like to understand what i'm doing and not just blindly do things to my truck. I did just get the aries brush guard for the front so the coilovers seem like a good option based on increased weight.

There is no real concern with the weight from that brushguard. Personally, you asked for suggestions, remove that piece of crap.
check out these two sites:
www.prgproducts.com
www.nissteclifts.com

Thanks,

Cory

Good luck. Please make sure you read this thoroughly! I know you said you read the lift options sticky which is the only reason that I wrote this all out versus just linking you back to the same thread. I was in your shoes at one point and was confused about everything I read on here. That lift options sticky was something I had zero experience with and was like trying to read latin. Seriously, I cannot stress this enough, please get under the truck, hell take your laptop with you and read as you look at all this stuff. Getting out there and physically getting hands on will be 10X as effective as just continuing to ask for people to spell it out on here.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
thanks for the replies guys.

I didnt mean to have coilovers on the rear. i just meant coilovers on the front, paired with shackle on the rear.

from what i read, the spacer doesnt do anything for you in terms of increased weight capacity. with the brush guard i bought, im anticipating more weight up front and therefore want to counter the sink from it with stiffer suspension, which i why i think i would want coilovers up front instead of just a spacer. are there different sized coils that giver you the different lift heights?

now on the rear, it sounds like the AAL is the best option due to its increased load capacity, even though it could result in vibrations.

for some reason, i cant see any of the pictures in the sticky except for the airbag assist thing which is the last option.

again thanks for the help while i start to piece together the ins and outs of this stuff.
Lol, now you post this? Either way, this post makes much more sense than your last one. You are on the right track here...other than that damn brush guard:) You don't need to worry about vibrations with AALs, just get some 3* shims and they will roll the pinion flange up just enough to mitigate that angle on the driveshaft and get rid of the vibrations. WITH the shims installed, I never got vibrations until I got up over 5" of lift.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks alot!!! Im not unfamiliar with whats going on under my truck. I do do all of the maintenance myself, so ive seen all of what you are talking about while changing brakes and whatnot. im just not familiar with the names of everything.

Your description of each makes plenty of sense. and i will definitely go hang out under my truck looking for all of this specifically instead of just seeing it while doing other things.

if i am understanding you right, getting something like these and replacing the stock springs on my truck would provide about a 2" lift. and those are all i would need to do the front. Now the back i will have to look at a bit more but i think i understand the front better now. (http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58926&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72)

and i appreciate the opinions, but ive always wanted the brushguard, i just like how it looks. and im not sure i like the aftermarket bumpers i have seen so far. ;)

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I would suggest something more along these lines, as you will need new shocks soon anyway:
http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58943&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72
The rear is an AAL which is really only a bandaid for the stock rear leafs.

If you got the cash I would pick this instead:
http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58950&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

I personally run the PRG Advanced 4wd Package, it is a bit more $, but includes new Upper Control Arms(gives more front travel)

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
OP what's your budget and what are you looking to do with the truck?

If you just want to go basically for looks (33s, a brush guard, and a 2'' lift) there are cheap / easy options. Namely a body lift. But know that it will ride worse than it does today with those changes.

If you want to do it for true off roading capabilities while maintaining on road handling, you should do it right and get a kit built for additional travel like the ones DucatiDom linked to. The Old Man EMU kit is a great kit for a mild lift.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live in south florida, so its pretty damn flat. I want the looks but im also not super cheap. Id like to have the extra height and maintain road handling since it is my daily driver.

Im looking at the OME front coil over and AAL kit for ~$800. I think it fits my wants pretty well and doesnt bust the bank too hard.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
If you have any plans for an after market bumper I would choose the HD coils(608), it will be a bit stiff till the bumper goes on though. If not go with the 607 MD coil.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, so i have decided to goahead and buy a lift kit through Nisstecbut i have been going back and forth between the OME complete kit(http://www.nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58943&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72)

and the Nisstec Ultimate(http://www.nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58957&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72)

I have talked to Nisstec and gotten good info from them but still cant decide if the ultimate kit is really worth the extra cash over the OME kit.

I like the adjustability of the ultimate kit and its ability to go to 2.5". but talking with Nisstec, it sounds like the back is still only going to make it to about 1.5", maybe a little more of lift. So im not sure the ability to go to 2.5" is worth it other than the chance of adding shackles in the future in conjunction with the AAL to get to almost 3" lift capability(wouldnt go that high)

is there anything else to the Ultimate kit that makes it worth the extra cash or am i working off of incorrect info that the back AAL will only give about 1.5". I have seen that mentioned in other threads but it seems to be inconsistent.

Thanks for any info.

Cory

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
ok, so i have decided to goahead and buy a lift kit through Nisstecbut i have been going back and forth between the OME complete kit(http://www.nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58943&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72)

and the Nisstec Ultimate(http://www.nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58957&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72)

I have talked to Nisstec and gotten good info from them but still cant decide if the ultimate kit is really worth the extra cash over the OME kit.

I like the adjustability of the ultimate kit and its ability to go to 2.5". but talking with Nisstec, it sounds like the back is still only going to make it to about 1.5", maybe a little more of lift. So im not sure the ability to go to 2.5" is worth it other than the chance of adding shackles in the future in conjunction with the AAL to get to almost 3" lift capability(wouldnt go that high)

is there anything else to the Ultimate kit that makes it worth the extra cash or am i working off of incorrect info that the back AAL will only give about 1.5". I have seen that mentioned in other threads but it seems to be inconsistent.

Thanks for any info.

Cory
just add a shackle to the rear for an extra 100 bucks. the ultimate kit is WAYY better than the OME kit IMO. More flexibility, plus you get the UCA's so you don't have to worry about coil bucket contact, plus you can customize the springs and such. Its more of a question of how high do you want to go? and do you want to install it and never touch it? or do you want the ability to adjust it to suit your needs? If you have the cash, I'd get the ultimate kit hands down, and just add a shackle to the rear. I have an AAL and shackle on the lowest setting in the rear and I'm at least at 3" of lift in the back.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the ultimate kit that i posted the link to does not have the UCA's. It is just the Nisstec adjustable coilovers and deaver AAL.

it is the same equipment that comes in the OME kit i posted, just the nisstec pack and its a bit more expensive.

other than the adjustablitly in the coilovers, i was wondering if there were any other differentiators.ie. are the bilstein 5100's considered to be much better than the OME shocks?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
the ultimate kit that i posted the link to does not have the UCA's. It is just the Nisstec adjustable coilovers and deaver AAL.

it is the same equipment that comes in the OME kit i posted, just the nisstec pack and its a bit more expensive.

other than the adjustablitly in the coilovers, i was wondering if there were any other differentiators.ie. are the bilstein 5100's considered to be much better than the OME shocks?
oh i thought u were getting the one with the radflos. in that case id probably go with the ome kit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi ,I also have an 07 s 4x4 just put on the tough country spacers which gave just a little over 1.75" of lift after alignment and all.78000 miles on the factory suspension. it was an easy install maybe two hours with minimal power tools. airlift air bags in the rear: adjustable ride height and load capacity. seems to ride nice as dd will try out on trails soon

·
Registered
44 Posts
cblaxx19, Im by no means a mechanic and I installed a 2'' spacer with 3'' shackles in the rear in a few hours. Total price was around $240. Keep in mind you'll need a wheel alignment afterwards for $60ish. The ride didnt change much but I do notice a bang coming from the front when rolling over speed bumps, ect. Almost like the suspension up front is lost some range of motion and maxes out, causing the bang/thud sound. Im not going to give better advice than the people already on this thread, but this is my simple/stupid experience. Good luck

1 - 20 of 21 Posts