Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends at Ted Wein's Firestone... AKA Ted Wein's Custom 4x4.... are helping me put my suspension on today! New Bilstein fronts, bilstein rears, AAL, shims, front camber bolts, alignment... and fix my bent diff cover, measure for a custom OBA plate (where the spaire use to be)... change the front, rear and t-case fluids... all for the price of a regular trans flush... i would do everything but its so much easier with a lift!

Pics will be posted after... and before of course :cheers:

·
on line
1,059 Posts
Congrats!! :cheers:

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Re: New suspension goes on today!!

driver X said:
measure for a custom OBA plate (where the spaire use to be)
Dumb question...what is an OBA plate?

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Thats what I would think.

Can't wait to see the pics, better get one of it posed on a rock or something.

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, its getting aligned right now... and some of the techs there are rushing to finish the project vehicles for next weeks Hump N Bump in Logandale, NV!
They have a lot of things to finish before next Wednesday, so I was suprised when they told me to bring it in this morning... I cant wait to pick it up!

For those doing rear AALs, make sure you get new u-bolts... I forgot to order em, but a local spring shop has a ton of em in stock and I paid $40 for 4 new ones... I was lucky!

Should be done in about an hour or so...

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got a few pics of the X when I got home... tomorrow I will flex it out and actually test the suspension in the dirt and make adjustments...

The front is really soft, maybe because I am using factory coils on aftermarket shocks. The rear is stiffer than before because of the AAL and Bilsteins but it is really smooth... will post pics tomorrow

·
on line
245 Posts
Where are the picstures?!!!

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ARRRGH!! So there is no wireless connection where I live, and the pics are on my laptop... I tried to transfer them over to our desktop but cant, so I will post them tomorrow when I get to my parents place... I do have some on my phone that I will try to post too cuz they are pretty good shots...
So the pics will be up tomorrow!!

EDITededeeddd by me

Got a good connetion for while so I am posting the pics of before and after.. here goes

AFTER

I still have some pics on my phone that I took while the X was on the lift but I cant upload them to this computer... oh well... I will try again tomorrow...

VERDICT: The front is really really REALLY soft, so new coils are on order for next week. The rear rides really nice, the AAL/shackle combo with the bilsteins is a nice setup to go with. I did not need shims because I am running AAL with shackles so the shackles tilt the pinion angle up to accommodate for it.. Just some advice for those planning a similar lift.
:bounce: The fronts are adjustable coilovers (not Radflos). The install went kinda smooth except for me not ordering new ubolts! But other than that it went good. Took a long time to adjust the fronts up, and test drive and readjust and test drive and readjust but now I feel I should have purchsed new springs to stiffen it up... tomorrow I will test off road to see how she handles over bumps in the dirt and flex the rear after I put the new brake lines on!

·
on line
3,050 Posts
nice job.....looks awesome. Question with your spare tire mounted up top did you notice a significant drop in gas mileage? and what are you using to have it stay up there?...

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
miles said:
nice job.....looks awesome. Question with your spare tire mounted up top did you notice a significant drop in gas mileage? and what are you using to have it stay up there?...
The rack is a Yakima.. and I have their tire hold down thingy holding the tire on... it mounts flush so you cant see it from the side but it secures it pretty good, it doesnt move at all! As for the gas mileage, yes it dropped, but not a big drop. I think I noticed a bigger drop when I upgraded the tires to 285s... It went from around 18 to just above 17.5 or so... on the freeway I get around 20-21 or so which I think is pretty good for it.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
They are the bilstein ones from AC. I hear that they arent that great and the amount of lift you get out of them is not as much as the Radflos.

What is your take on them?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts