Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
82 Posts
You can also use/buy/make adaptor plates to use different sized speakers. Make sure they are sturdy.

Moving a bit further along, you could make the holes in the door bigger or custom fab an enclosure. The sky is the limit for stereo installs.

·
on line
559 Posts
Sony doesn't make the best audio equipment around. If you're on a budget, try and listen to some Alpine or Infinity or maybe Polk. Sound is subjective (so are wallets), but you'll be pleased. If you have a little more money, check out Boston Acoustics or Diamond Audio. And if you have even more money check out Morel, CDT, Arc Audio, Rainbow, or Focal.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i agree, don't get sony speakers

look at alpine, polk audio, or eclipse....all great brands, i've owned speakers from each and they are price pretty well

also, i wouldn't recommend talking to people at circuit city, i've found they don't really know what they are talking about (ex. the guy tried to tell me alpine sucks and kicker was way better.......) i would suggest talking to the guys at tweeter if you have one of those stores around...granted they will probably try to sell you way more then you need, but if you go in tell them exactly what you want (i.e. head unit and a pair of 6x9s and a pair of 6 1/2s) and stick with that their recommendations are usually very good (they typically sell alpine, eclipse, polk, jl audio, mb quartz...all very good brands)

or even give the techs at crutchfield a call, they've always seemed knowledgeable when i've talked to them.

·
on line
500 Posts
Crutchfield is the gold standard for your questions. I just bought from Crutchfield, the wiring and mounting instructions, adapter plates, door panel removal tool and three day delivery all for $45 (delivery next week). Crutchy somehow custom sizes each driver to each car, so all you have to do is tell them (or buy from them) the speaker you want and they do the rest. The Polk MMC6500 and MMC5250 were $376 shipped (PriceGraber found SonicElectronix the lowest), so next week should be fun. Next an amp, then a head unit, but presently, I’m in no rush.

·
on line
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks for the replies guys. i just thought those were a good price, but i guess i'll stay away from them and shop around for infinitys. i had them in my previous ride and they rocked. there's an audio shop that specializes in all that stuff around here...maybe i'll pay them a visit
________
Web shows

·
on line
339 Posts
willgr1 said:
i agree, don't get sony speakers

look at alpine, polk audio, or eclipse....all great brands, i've owned speakers from each and they are price pretty well

also, i wouldn't recommend talking to people at circuit city, i've found they don't really know what they are talking about (ex. the guy tried to tell me alpine sucks and kicker was way better.......) i would suggest talking to the guys at tweeter if you have one of those stores around...granted they will probably try to sell you way more then you need, but if you go in tell them exactly what you want (i.e. head unit and a pair of 6x9s and a pair of 6 1/2s) and stick with that their recommendations are usually very good (they typically sell alpine, eclipse, polk, jl audio, mb quartz...all very good brands)

or even give the techs at crutchfield a call, they've always seemed knowledgeable when i've talked to them.
HEY! :angryfire: I work at circuit city! lol

no offense taken though, a lot of circuit city/best buy car stereo shops have bad people working.....but so do the other "specialized" stores.

but anyways, check out sounddomain.com, millionbuy.com, and woofersetc.com. i scored on a pair of infinity 6x9s from sounddomain for $62 shipped.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I have had bad luck with sony car audio and I have had good luck with polk and infinity so I agree with the above.

·
on line
54 Posts
you should consider you options with you system... are you going to run it off an aftermarket deck ?? or stick with the stock ?? or maybe add an amp or to and run either active or passive.... there are many options ... for the speakers... you should find something YOU like... your ears wont lie to you.... everyone has there opinions on speakers... but you like what you will like.... personally ive heard a $4000.00 componet set that sounded like shit, and ive heard a component set for under $300.00 that sounded f'ing amazing..... also the INSTALL in everything.... the best speakers int he world will sound like compleate shit if not installed correctly......

ive been around the car audio world for years..... compeated in several DB competitions, and a few IASCA comps here and there.... if you have any detailed questions feel free to drop me a line...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts