Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this at Harbor Freight the other day. It was only $8.00 so I grabbed it.

It just looked like it might work.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Looks similar to the one I have in my gear box on the roof. I used a couple of heavy duty zip ties to stop it from rattling around.

I wouldn't want to dig a big hole with it but for around a campsite or digging out a stuck truck it's a good size.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks similar to the one I have in my gear box on the roof. I used a couple of heavy duty zip ties to stop it from rattling around.

I wouldn't want to dig a big hole with it but for around a campsite or digging out a stuck truck it's a good size.
I'm going to put it up in the gear box, was wondering how I was going to keep it from making a bunch of noise. Maybe I'll use those QuikFists I bought.

Thanks

·
on line
4,593 Posts
I'm going to put it up in the gear box, was wondering how I was going to keep it from making a bunch of noise. Maybe I'll use those QuikFists I bought.
It actually doesn't move around all the much to make a lot of noise.

But with a small Sears tool box, a 3# sledge and the small shovel in my gearbox, not much of it moves around.

Prior to putting the tool box there I used:

They have a section to secure one end the wrap your item up with the "tag" end. No movement and about $5-6 for this pack of 30 from Lowes.

I use them for the electrical cords for my power tools, extension cords, etc.
May even be a few extra in the truck. Very handy to have.

ETA: No, it is not too small. IMO it is the perfect size. I've dug my (and others) truck out of snow drifts, cleared fire rings, dug latrines etc. You wouldn't want to bury a body with it, but for most anything else it does just fine.

·
Registered
288 Posts
A small shovel is always good to have in the Xterra. Here is the one I keep in the back. I built it, so it is compact ,about 28" long.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
That depends...how much do you need to compensate for?

I kid, I kid :p I have a shovel about that size (which will have its own mount within a day or two). Some guys carry full-size shovels on the roof rack. It's not about the length of the shovel (though a bigger spade end could help), it's the amount of back breaking you're willing to put up with. After all, you could dig yourself out with your hands if you absolutely needed to.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A small shovel is always good to have in the Xterra. Here is the one I keep in the back. I built it, so it is compact ,about 28" long.
That's awesome. You should build some more!!! (hint hint) :iconbiggrin:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That depends...how much do you need to compensate for?

I kid, I kid :p I have a shovel about that size (which will have its own mount within a day or two). Some guys carry full-size shovels on the roof rack. It's not about the length of the shovel (though a bigger spade end could help), it's the amount of back breaking you're willing to put up with. After all, you could dig yourself out with your hands if you absolutely needed to.
LMAO, I don't know what else to say! :iconbiggrin:

·
on line
1,113 Posts
Its not the size of the shovel its how you use... ahhh nevermind too easy. But def a good thing to keep in the X. The plastic handles I dont like though they always bend on me but I got a foldable that I keep in the back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use an old folding army shovel. Works great in mud and sand. Folds up so it wont take up much room in your x, or on your roof rack.

·
Registered
19 Posts
GI Folding Shovel

I keep a post-VIetnam GI folding shovel in the back. Takes up little space but is there if you need it.

Dozens of vendors have them, but stick with US GI issue Ames or Gerber makers.

/http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/new-us-mil-issue-tri-fold-shovel.aspx?a=1157604

1 - 20 of 38 Posts