Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too soon for a review other than the fact they are quieter than the stock Hankook ATM's, which I loved!!! Went for a more beefy E rated tire. Some of the rock/dirt trails I access to go backpacking up in the Sierra are notorious for shredding rubber.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Too soon for a review other than the fact they are quieter than the stock Hankook ATM's, which I loved!!! Went for a more beefy E rated tire. Some of the rock/dirt trails I access to go backpacking up in the Sierra are notorious for shredding rubber.
I'm getting new tires soon, keep thinking about those. They look great.

Even though my X is mostly a camping and wheeling rig now, I spend so much time on the pavement getting to my destination I'm still leery of going full MT.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm getting new tires soon, keep thinking about those. They look great.

Even though my X is mostly a camping and wheeling rig now, I spend so much time on the pavement getting to my destination I'm still leery of going full MT.
i was thinking the same thing but these tires are unlike any mudders i've owned!! very smooth and quiet on the road and once you air down it's like riding on air. stabile, confident and no swerve or sway. i loved the hankooks which were actually noisier than these so far!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like you went stock 265 75 16's?
yup, waiting till next year (or sooner) for a suspension upgrade, then a new tire size. just came back from a 75 mile cruise after the alignment to test out highway driving... very impressive handling. not noisy or misbehaved at 80 mph with cruise control on. lane changes & abrupt moves were predictable and smooth. of course the fun off road tests happen this weekend!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love the look of those tires! i wonder what kinda magic they used to make them quiet.
it seems they altered the rubber compound dramatically. the design has been adapted from their baja tires. it's a 10 ply tire with a 3 ply sidewall. i noticed almost no height change when airing down to 20psi. the sidewall is so strong it supports the car! the tread rubber "flattens" and is meant to envelop obstacles as it rides over them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
finally got a chance to take the BFG's out on some gnarly trails today heading to a fishing hole... performed flawlessly in deep sand, mud gravel and rocks. when airing down it was floating over obstacles with little effort or wheel spin. very confident feeling driving these bad boys. on the road they were so quiet i asked my buddy if he heard anything objectionable and the answer was no. great rubber!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It will be some time before I wear out my Falken Wildpeak AT3W's, but I will keep these tires in mind when that happens.

I've not been unhappy with my Falkens in the least.

However, the large blocks on the KM3's do look good on the Xterra.

·
Registered
647 Posts
it will be a couple of years until I wear out my (near new) Hankook Dynapro ATMs in stock size.
Am pretty happy with them after coming from a incredibly loud Courser MT

Maybe because of their newness but my hankooks are as smooth and quiet as all season tire.
But if the KM3s keep getting reviewed this favorable they may be my next set.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm on 285 KO2s and they were quiet on full tread but as they wear, a little more noisier, nothing to complain about. I wonder if the KM3s will be the same, anybody with 1/2 tread or less on these chime in on noise? I'm sure grip will be better than KO2s because of those more open tread blocks, but I do like the load E 10-ply, can air down below 20 psi and still not too mushy, plus better sidewall protection.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Till I bought the BFG A/T's that are on my Xterra now......I'd ONLY run Muds on the last 5 4x4's I've had over the last 20 years. IMO all mud tires are quiet when they're new.......but I think they all get much louder than A/T's once they get 6-12 months of pavement driving on them. Plus they usually (for me) only lasted like 15k-20K miles. Since I off road so infrequently now....I decided to go A/T on the Xterra and was excited about hearing guys say they got 25-30k miles out of them. I've driven them daily for a year now and they hardly look like they have any wear at all. And still quiet.

So yeah, while my preference is absolutely Muds, my logical side won out this time and I went A/T. By the time these need replacing tho.....I'll likely have a different daily driver and the X will be relegated to part time (camping and shooting in the desert) status. So at that time......I'd def go muds.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
16 Participants
TurboChris
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing