Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone with Calmini and the told me if I got their 3" AAL I would have to buy new shocks. Is this true?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
the shocks are the limiting factor for the leaf articulation. if you want max articulation you'll have to go with a longer shock like the bils 5125. you can still run the stock shocks, you just won't get the same amount of travel.

·
on line
14,014 Posts
willgr1 said:
the shocks are the limiting factor for the leaf articulation. if you want max articulation you'll have to go with a longer shock like the bils 5125. you can still run the stock shocks, you just won't get the same amount of travel.
Yeah, what he said! Bilstein 5125 shocks are a GREAT way to go, you can get them from Greg at PRG.

·
on line
234 Posts
I don't know if anyone here tried this or not, but Greg has modified 2.25" sway-a-way piggyback shocks to fit Frontiers. Maybe not enough room under an X cause of the reservoir, but at $400 for the pair, the price is decent for a badass shock, especially since they are revalvable. I forgot to ask him about this when I was talking to him yesterday. Just a thought.

·
on line
104 Posts
hey sorry to steal this thread but my question is along these same lines...
the AC website said (just like calmini) that when you add the AAL's and AC coilovers that you need to extend the break lines as well as longer shocks.
you guys already covered the rear shock aspect, but how about the extended rear break lines and longer front shocks? is it really a problem if i dont extend the break lines? also do i really run a risk of damaging a front shock if i dont replace them?
from this site i got a general decision that you DONT need to do all this but the AC site wrote in all caps and in red that they highly recomend getting new ones
again sorry to steal the thread Xterror

·
Super Moderator
2,600 Posts
AC states that on their site to cover their tail, I'd imagine. If you don't extend them, there's a chance you could rip off the stock brake lines on full articulation. Now, having said that, if you still have the rear sway bar on, your chances are probably much less. Do you have to extend them? No. Should you extend them? Well, it depends. Do you plan on wheeling your truck? If so, will it be light trails or hard trails? In my opinion, you can't go wrong by extending them. The steel braided brake lines are going to be better/stronger than the stock ones.

As for the shocks, I ran the stock Bilsteins with the AC coils for about 7 months. I didn't break any shocks, but whenever I went over bumps/dips in the road, the shocks would sometimes top out. So, I'm sure I was abusing them pretty good. If I went that route again, I'd get the longer shocks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts