Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been awhile since I've been here, but had to share this story.

Now my X hasn't been off road on more than just dirt/gravel trails more than twice, the last time being more than 8 months ago. I do however drive a lot, the truck is roughly 14 months old and I have 34k miles on it.

Starting a couple weeks ago my Diff Lock light started either flashing on and off or staying on, along with the VDC off light. This while driving at highway speeds in 2 wheel drive. A few days after this started, the Diff lock light would turn off only to have the ABS, VDC off, and Slip lights come on. When this happened ABS and VDC where indeed non-functional.

So into the dealer it goes. First call I get they tell me it looks like something is wrong with the rear diff. and that they will call me back after looking at it further. I'm fully expecting at this point to get grief for the Shrockworks rear diff cover and the various dents and dings to the underside. I get a call back in a couple hours, they give me no problems and tell me yeah there is something wrong with the rear differential and instead of trying to fix it we are just going to replace it.

So I'm a little upset that the diff broke, especially just during street use, but glad they were replacing it without any problems.

So I picked it up today, service desk said again they replaced the rear differential; put the cover in the back with all the screws. So to my suprise when I walk out and look under the back of the truck a see a shining new complete rear axle.

I take another look at the paper work, all the work descriptions say replaced rear differential. I get down to the parts list and there it is: RR axle assy.

I'm kind of suprised that they replace the entire axle for a differential problem. Not going to complain though.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Well, Nissan does not replace just the diff or can even get parts for it as I understand. When the diff goes on the M226, they replace the whole rear axle assembly.

I only have 2500 miles on my 08 and am getting a new one soon. Dealer ordered it last Friday.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Yeah but its only for the front diffs. Now we need separate ones for the...

Front diff

Rear diff

Transfer case

U-joints

What the hell is next? Damn, thats almost the whole drivetrain!

·
on line
1,149 Posts
oops sorry. im an idiot. just saw the sticky for diffs.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
There are also polls for the front and rear diffs under the polls section.

His problem sounds different than the rest. My guess you had a screwed up locker, not an actual blown diff. I know this happened to at least one other person.

The dealer is required by Nissan to replace the entire rear end. I am not sure if this is because Nissan wants all the failed diffs back for analysis or if they feel the techs can not set new gears.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Muzikman said:
The dealer is required by Nissan to replace the entire rear end. I am not sure if this is because Nissan wants all the failed diffs back for analysis or if they feel the techs can not set new gears.
I am assuming it is for analysis. Lucky for us, it is much faster to replace the entire assembly than it is to rebuild a failed one.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
I'm guessing Nissan doesn't manufacture the rear axle, but gets it from a supplier. Can anyone confirm this? If this is true, Nissan is trying to recoup the cost from them for bad set ups. If Nissan touches it, they can't prove the set up was bad. If It's a design flaw that Nissan was responsible for and the axle manufacturer is building them to spec, Nissan is going to have to eat it.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The M226 is a Dana built axle to Nissan specs. The C200 is a Nissan built axle. In either case I bet the dealer is replacing the entire axle.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Muzikman said:
The M226 is a Dana built axle to Nissan specs. The C200 is a Nissan built axle. In either case I bet the dealer is replacing the entire axle.
Yea, in either case I don't think the dealers are set up to do repair and set up. But in the M226 case, I'm sure Dana doesn't want Nissan touching it until they get to inspect it IMHO.

Obviously Dana has been around a while. It's hard for me to image they are having set up issues but it can happen I guess.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
It's easier to replace an entire axle than to repair/re-build a diff. A total replacement is relatively certain, the diff rebuild is iffy. They're saving labor and trying to guarantee that it's over and done once.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Im just hoping that this new diff lasts longer than 30k miles. I really love this truck and dont want to start looking for its replacement yet. Yes i do wheel it but its usually once or twice a month and i dont wheel it hard. All im worried about is whats gonna happen once the powertrain warranty runs out. Ill ask about this tomorrow.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
xterra3100 said:
Im just hoping that this new diff lasts longer than 30k miles. I really love this truck and dont want to start looking for its replacement yet. Yes i do wheel it but its usually once or twice a month and i dont wheel it hard. All im worried about is whats gonna happen once the powertrain warranty runs out. Ill ask about this tomorrow.
Well, the powertrain warranty goes to 60k. I have the extended warranty that covers me to 100k. I just hope they figure out why they are having issues and correct it.

·
on line
225 Posts
At this point with so many going out, they could even be throwing in remanufactured rears in. Take the broken ones out... install new one in car... rebuild broken one... install in the next... and so on.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Ricky said:
At this point with so many going out, they could even be throwing in remanufactured rears in. Take the broken ones out... install new one in car... rebuild broken one... install in the next... and so on.
This would have to be the case or nissan is losing ALOT of money they dont need to be losing.

·
on line
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As a lot of people have stated here, this gives me a lot of concern. I was actually looking at in the next 2-3 months selling of my jeep and putting the money into building out the X for taking off roading. Not sure that this is the best course of action at this point.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
I havent heard of anyone in my local club with a new X that has blown their diff.....

I wheel as much as I can, but not hard and have not experienced any problems...maybe Nissan needs to TSB this problem.

Could this problem be manufaturing date specific....meaning x's built from this date to that date are having these problems? Mine was manufactured in Jan of 2006...and no problem yet

·
on line
16 Posts
I second finding a way to pin down if this is problem date specific. I mean I believe the did make a minor change in the mid year for 2005. With the number of side gear or spider gears although I don't know if this helped. My build 10/05 and haven't had any issues yet but have been hearing light rear end whine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts