Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello we are looking to purchase a new 2014 pro-4x and wanted to know what we should, upgrade replace first. Would like to go off road more then we do now. Any suggestions would be great.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
All depends on what kind of off-roading you plan to do (dirt roads/mud/rocks/snow) and where abouts you live.

There are many, many ideas in here and lots of discussions about them. Have a browse around and I"m sure you'll get a list that's way longer than you ever thought, and then there will always be more after that.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
congrats. try it out of the box first. see what it will do, and work from there. the factory mud flaps/side steps, will be a issue off road.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
Post up where you live and what you want to do with it and you can get better suggestions.

Do you want to hard core wheel? Climbing rocks, scraping rocker panels and testing your skidplates? Well theres a path for upgrades.

Want to bury it in deep, sticky, mud. Another path.

Want to do light fire roads while getting to your favorite campgrounds. Yet another path.

Give us some info and youll get many responses for ideas.

·
Registered
433 Posts
congrats. try it out of the box first. see what it will do, and work from there. the factory mud flaps/side steps, will be a issue off road.
this.... take it off road stock, see what it is capable of. it may not need any mods. but do take off the step rails, and mud flaps first.
a few common first mods are better skid plates, and rock sliders. better / bigger tires (285/75/16 fits, or a 255/85/16, again depends on your situation if you need wider or taller).

·
on line
2,233 Posts
A tank of gas.

Go drive it. Figure out your needs.

I can give you a great big list of things to make it my perfect truck, which I guarantee will be completely different then someone else's perfect truck. Find what you want to be different and go after that.

Keep in mind that one thing can quickly lead to another. That 5" lift and huge tires will kill gas mileage (just figure it will drop 5 MPG and be real happy if it only drops 4).
How much warranty are you willing to throw away how fast? IF you modify a part and it dies, you own the problem. If your modification is the cause of another part failing, you own that problem as well. The good thing is you don't loose all the warranty, just the parts that you screw with. If they can prove that what you did caused the failure, you own the failure. And dealers are quick to deny warranty at any reason they can.

The best thing you can do right now is just drive it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Exactly this

I was really impressed what I could do offroad, turns out for me I'm going to just add a 2in lift with 33'' tires and ya those rear mudflaps keep hitting everything

·
Registered
4 Posts
The advise about using the truck first is a good idea in my opinion. In this way you will know what the truck will do and then decide what modifications you want to make for the driving you will be doing. If you get factory side steps take them off before you take to the woods. They get damaged easily. I might think, however, of adding sliders as they will give you some added protection that the factory set up doesn't.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The first "mod" I would get in your situation is a book of offroad trails in your region. Your stock Pro-4X will be capable of handling many of them, and the experience will make you more aware of the X's capabilities and shortcomings, as well as give you a better idea of the direction you want to go with it.

From what I've read on this forum, there are a few directions you could go, but they primarily fall into 1 of 2 loose categories: rock crawler or overlander. There is definitely a lot of grey area between the two, and much of it depends on your local topography.

·
on line
1,511 Posts
Trail books, a good GPS Unit, some basic recovery gear, some blankets, CB or Shortwave Radio, water, energy bars, first aid kit. Pick a weekend, pick a trail and go have an adventure! Start with easy trails first, then build up. Remember that if you do venture off road, you'll likely be away from other people, but also away from services and help. Go into it prepared. Here in the Arizona Desert, exposure to the heat can kill a person, similarly, exposure to very cold or freezing temps can kill a person. Be prepared, start off easy, and have fun Xploring!

**Almost forgot the most important thing <<TOILET PAPER>> Don't leave home without it!!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
After modifying my Off Road edition (predecessor to your Pro-4X), here is the order of things I would recommend:

1. Remove mud flaps
  2. Remove side steps (if applicable)
  3. Upgrade tires (I went with the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO) See our thread on tire fitment to find the right size if you go up from 265/75/16.
  4. Rock sliders - protect those rocker panels with some armor
  5. Lift kit of your choice. I avoided the spacer lifts and went with the PRG Advanced Coilover Kit.
  6. Rear bumper with tire carrier, add another matching alloy and start a five-tire rotation.
  7. Next up: Front Bumper with winch.
  8. Then: Roof basket and/or off road lighting.
This is just how I did things, and I'm pretty happy with the order. There are a few detail mods I did, like upgraded fog lights and such, but nothing major.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts