Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just got back from Moab. We ran Gemini Bridges and Long Canyon on Saturday, and Klondike Bluffs on Sunday. Unfortunately, we got rained out Monday, and left early due to weather back home Tuesday, so no trails those two days.

Gemini Bridges- The Wells' book says this trail is moderate, but definitely seemed easy. No real obstacles, one mildly rocky climb. View at the Bridges was cool, though. There looked like some good rock ledges to play on at the Bridges, but it was too crowded and would have been too much a scene to go 'crawling around there.

Long Canyon/Pucker Pass- An easy trail through a steep decent into Long Canyon. Pretty views, and a great way to test out the 4 low compression braking.

Klondike Bluffs- In a word... bikers! Mountain bikers were everywhere, and the vast majority didn't like us being there. We were just as nice as we could be, stopping and letting them pass anytime they were close. The trail itself was rated moderate, but definitely hard enough for a stock X due to the ground clearance. Motto of the day was "Glad I had the sliders!" I used them in plenty of spots. I managed to scrape one of my wheels a little bit it the last rough area, which was a steep decent through a narrow tippy section of loose rock. I'll take the knick, though, as I could have easily torn the sidewall of the tire in the spot.

Great trip, and of course, too quick. Wanted to do a couple more trails, but the Bluffs trail held us over since it ended up being tougher than any of us expected, plus we ran out of time anyway.

These pics will have to hold everybody over till I can weed through the rest of the 500 or so that got taken. :geek:

Dropping down Long Canyon

Flexy shot near the beginning of Klondike Bluffs

One of a few tight squeezes through Klondike Bluffs

What I began calling "Mini Crack," the stock-rig verison of Golden Crack (to me, anyway). A slickrock expanse on Klondike Bluffs.

The last section of rock, and one of the hardest parts of the trail. Actually, this is an alternate exit to Sand Flats Road in Arches NP. The trail isn't on a map, but is in the Wells' book. The sign was for a bike trail called Baby Steps. This is the spot I got my wheel.

I hope to post a few more over the weekend maybe. Enjoy!

·
on line
564 Posts
Awesome pics dude...looks like y'all had a blast!

Rob

·
on line
358 Posts
Looks awesome. We, my family, is planing to go to Moab in June. I need to get a list from you where we can go with a stock X.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More pics...

Playing in a sandy area off of Long Canyon

Near the beginning of Klondike Bluffs- a little air under that tire

Side view at same spot

Another pic at the crack

One of the many slickrock areas on the trail

Trying to find the right line (this isn't it!)- descending down Baby Steps- alternate exit for Klondike Bluffs

Same spot

Tippy spot- right before I got my wheel

Rock rash on the wheel- Glad I didn't lose the tire! Seemed close

Only in Moab! This was in the garage of the condo we rented- some unlucky lad's busted diff. There was a big ole chuck missing out of one of the spider gears

Nearing home- a foot of snow in some areas- and I had shorts on still from Moab!

Can't wait till next year!

·
on line
631 Posts
wow. nice pics! haha, driving home with shorts from Moab's 70 degree weather to snow... man that must have been fun haha. we did long canyon too, but instead of being only a 30-45 min drive, it ended up being 2 hours. after we drove under the fallen rock and started descending the hill, we passed a white chevy pickup on the side with US GOVERNMENT plates. thought nothing of it and kept driving. then passed a few more on the side and finally got stopped and the base of the hill by another truck with US GOVT plates. they told us no pics til we hit the road near Jug Handle Arch. the whole time we were waiting for him to move i kept saying "The hills have eyes!" and scared my girlfriend. i learned never to do that again :blackeye:

good thing you hit the rim and not the sidewall. my rims are scratched too, by many things. even have a piece missing (actually i peeled it off) on one of em. Rocky... have you ever heard of ronincolorado.com? some friends from UXOC are running that this summer i believe. i might go. actually i want to go. its in the san juans area...

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I was checking out the RONIN gathering. I won't be able to make it this year, though, as my wife is planning a vacation that same week. I would love to get together with a group of X's for a run, though... maybe GoneMoab or RONIN next year...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts