Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have the Shrock sliders on and I am considering changing the color from black to silver. Can anyone suggest what steps I can take to accomplish this? I have read about Por-15 but I am not sure how much I will need and it seems a bit expensive.
My goal ultimately will be to order the front and rear bumpers from Jim in bare steel and paint them myself the same color to match the sliders. Ideally I would love to order a silver coat done before being shipped but I dont think I have ever heard of custom paint jobs at Shrockworks.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Send them all out to a local powdercoat shop and get them all done. You are not going to have much luck getting anything to stick to the already powdercoated sliders and unless you have access to a sand blaster, I would avoid trying to coat bare metal bumpers yourself. I did my sliders and front bumper and after the front bumper I said I wouldn't do it again. It's way too much work to do by hand.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Jim will do silver powdercoat... just gotta throw him a few extra bucks.
I think he charges the same or just a bit more than the grey powdercoat.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
He will have any color that the powder coating folks do down for you.

Even Pink:

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for all of your input people. i am pretty stoked about this. i have decided to go with the shrock over the calmini but i was a little concerned with all the black on the rig. i think silver and black will be a nice color combination. what do you guys think?

·
on line
589 Posts
Won't get opposition from me. I did it opposite, with my granite colored X and all black shrock (as well as rear corners and body side moldings). I think it looks great.

·
on line
2,573 Posts
I think it will look pretty slick having Silver all the way around.

I went went with black all the way around but the Diff Cover is Silver. Really don't know why I went with Silver but I like it.

The Silver really pops when you are looking at the back of the X.

Later

DaveP

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my only concern will be the side bumpers in the back. erick, you painted yours, do you think any color would stick on those things?

·
on line
11 Posts
I almost went with a "kustom" type color for our shrock stuff. Untill someone smarter than me (the wife) said one word... touch-ups!?!?.. went with black. Looks good on yellow too.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mars said:
I almost went with a "kustom" type color for our shrock stuff. Untill someone smarter than me (the wife) said one word... touch-ups!?!?.. went with black. Looks good on yellow too.
How is black any different from any other color? Since it is powdercoated, wont you have to make touch ups no matter what color you put? Or are you saying that because black is black and it will be easier to find a matching color?

·
on line
1,716 Posts
KillJoy LosAngeles said:
thank you for all of your input people. i am pretty stoked about this. i have decided to go with the shrock over the calmini but i was a little concerned with all the black on the rig. i think silver and black will be a nice color combination. what do you guys think?
I think Silver and Black looks great...but I'm a Raiders fan, I might be biased. (No Raiders Jokes please, they are enough of a joke recently without anyones help)

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No Raider Jokes, damn!

I was hoping not to get that association but its all good. I really wanted to do like a red for the bumper so it would be black and red but I think if I go silver it would look good with the steel wheels I have.

Plus I have that skull sticker on the back of my ride all ready so what the hell.

Al Davis has to die sometime.......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts