Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

New Owner :)

Tags
2012 newbie
2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  mojavedesertman 
#1 ·
Hey guys!
I just sold my starter car yesterday (last pic) and upgraded to a 2012 X-Terra S and I get to take it home Monday. I’m so excited to be able to make this car my own and to be a part of this community. I’m planning on driving it until the wheels fall off; I live in West Virginia so there’s plenty of opportunities to really test the limits. What’s the necessary items to put on my to-do list in terms of inspection and mods? For context, I’ve driven a Honda Civic as my daily for five years so this is pretty new to me.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Cloud Sky

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive carrying rack

Tire Wheel Cloud Car Vehicle

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks! There was actually another one on the lot, a Pro-4X, but it had some rust, more miles, and all stock so I picked this one. I love what the previous owners have done to it. It has 107k on it, decent service record too thankfully!

#6 ·
Congratulations on the purchase. Looks like your truck came with a moderate lift and a nice set of wheels.

I would personally recommend you remove the step rails and mudflaps as you’ll likely rip the mudflaps off your first day on the trail and the steps can really do some damage if bent back into your rocker panel. The only real ‘must do’s’.

Other than that, search the site for ideas, enjoy your rig and make it your own as you see fit. I’ve enjoyed modifying as I go. It is also easier on the budget, as anyone who tells you that camping, off roading or camping while off roading and exploring is inexpensive is flat out being untruthful. Just ask my wife.

#8 ·
Hey guys!
I just sold my starter car yesterday (last pic) and upgraded to a 2012 X-Terra S and I get to take it home Monday. I’m so excited to be able to make this car my own and to be a part of this community. I’m planning on driving it until the wheels fall off; I live in West Virginia so there’s plenty of opportunities to really test the limits. What’s the necessary items to put on my to-do list in terms of inspection and mods? For context, I’ve driven a Honda Civic as my daily for five years so this is pretty new to me.
View attachment 133498
View attachment 133499
View attachment 133500
View attachment 133501
I got my keys today! For day one I removed my front license plate bracket and replaced the headlight bulbs with new LEDs. Driving around has been so fun, I’m super excited to really mod it out and make it mine!

#10 ·
Hey guys!
View attachment 133498
View attachment 133499
View attachment 133500
View attachment 133501

Repainted the rear bumper and hitch as well as the front bumper under the grill! Added new LED fog light, reverse, and side marker light bulbs as well. This week I’ll be hardwiring some interior LED strips through the fuse box.

#11 ·
If you want suggestions on mods it would help if we knew what it has done already and how you plan on using it as far as off road. Out here in the desert where I live we have lots of soft sand and rocks. So I have installed heavy duty skid plates rock sliders and a small 1.5" lift as far as tires I have all terrains 265/75/16 the stock size for a pro4x. This setup so far has served me well. Just this past weekend I was out with some Jeep owners and they were all impressed by what I can do with my X compared to their Jeeps that all have more lift and bigger tires.

#12 ·
Haha you’re right! I’m not entirely sure what all has been done to it, I know there’s a lift and that they’ve done the headlight mod. I also have an add a circuit that has been unplugged from the fuse box so I’m assuming some sort of light bar or something else has been added. As for off-roading, I’m a newbie, so I’m not quite sure as of yet. I know there are some trails around here and lots of people around here go mudding.

#13 ·
Hey guys!
View attachment 133498
View attachment 133499
View attachment 133500
View attachment 133501
It’s been a while :)
I finished up painting all my plastics black and just got lights installed yesterday by a local place; a 52” curved bar up top, 4 pods up on the rails, and a 22” curved bar in the grille. Switches and clamps came from Amazon and fit perfectly.
I’ve also hardwired a dash cam and interior LED lights since purchasing, and bedlined my stock rails until I have money for sliders. Next mod will be a front bumper chop, like a viper cut of some kind. Also planning on doing a suspension lift and larger tires after melt modding and bumper chopping.
Seem to have all the post-buy problems fixed up, I’ve replaced the camshaft sensor and O2 sensors and cleaned up one of my cats. Absolutely in love with this car haha I totally get why this community is so large and so awesome!! I’ve learned everything so far off of this forum and YouTube and havent had to visit the dealership since buying it. Thank you everyone!

#16 ·
Welcome to the community.

Considering you have over 100K miles on your xterra, I would focus on general maintenance .

Spark plugs are a recommended replaced around your mileage.
Fluids ( engine, transmission, transfer case, differentials, power steering and brake)

I noticed you "cleaned" one of your catalytic converters.
Please be aware the Nissan 4.0 engine can draw back some gasses from its exhaust during normal operation. In a case where a catalytic converter is failing, there are known problems where the media of the catalytic converter can find it's way into your cylinder which may damage your rings and score your cylinders. The end result will be a gross amount of oil usage and the need to either rebuild your engine or replace it with another.

If your having an issue with your catalytic converters, I would suggest a replacement asap.

Reactions: mojavedesertman
#17 ·
As someone that lost an engine to a bad cat I strongly second this if you have a cat issue get it fixed asap before you drive your X anymore. An engine swap cost me about 3k doing it my self. Part of that was doing the timing chain guides and head gaskets up on the replacement motor before swapping it in I also replaced my clutch while I was in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.