Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

New Owner Quick Study

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  topman09 
#1 ·
So I just bought an 09 (not sure of model) with 142k on it.
Been driving a Subaru STi for a while and enjoyed the support of that community, but I am not sure they're as passionate as people are about X's.

Already these threads have been super helpful.

Cabin filter mouse nest delete is complete.
Not sure what mod will be next.

Cheers

#3 ·
Yeah thank you.
Been looking at the SMOD stuff. Wondered if it had adverse affects in the colder climates (Toronto, Canada) Haven't seen too much about that. Is the quick hose switch alright through the colder temps? Or does it lean heavily on the trans to warm up?

Not as familiar with the breather extension, though seen it mentioned. Is that purely for off road? or generally a good idea?

#8 ·
Not as familiar with the breather extension, though seen it mentioned. Is that purely for off road? or generally a good idea?
It’s 100% an off-road mod as it allows your rear diff to breathe even when the rear axle is totally submersed. If you don’t extend it and wade through 1’+ deep water your seals might blow up and you get to rebuild your entire diff.

If you don’t go off-road, or stay out of puddles generally it isn’t really necessary. But it only cost 5-35$ and maybe 30-60mins so it’s a popular mod to err on the side of caution.

#4 ·
Hello and welcome to the club ))
and yes here you will find alot of useful information and help for members )

doing a bypass will not effect in negative way if you live in cold it would more effect if you live where its hot , then the trans would heat up more
so for you it would be safe to do a bypass just to be on the safe side now and change rad to a new one later or just change to a new rad now ..

#5 ·
Hello and welcome to the club ))
and yes here you will find alot of useful information and help for members )

doing a bypass will not effect in negative way if you live in cold it would more effect if you live where its hot , then the trans would heat up more
so for you it would be safe to do a bypass just to be on the safe side now and change rad to a new one later or just change to a new rad now ..
Yes. Thank you.
Switch now for ease. Change rad for peace of mind long term yeah?

#9 ·
The breather mod is not just for off road. The breather can get easily plugged - especially in places where they use lots of salt on the roads, and the plugged breather will greatly shorten the life of your axle seals due to positive air pressure in the diff. Its a easy mod - you should put it on your list.

Definitely bypass immediately. Lots of guys have run forever with the bypass. Your trans will run a little hotter, but if your not off roading or towing it seems its not hot enough to affect it. You will likely want to change the rad anyway at some point - its 12 year old - and at that point you can reconnect your cooler.

#10 ·
As said above, SMOD is your biggest concern but by 09 the problem was likely addressed. That being said, bypassing will not likely be a problem for you. I live in Denver and have had 2 bypassed Xterra's with zero problems. The first was an 07 that I bought with 95k miles and it was already bypassed. There was no way of telling how long ago that was. I had it until 156k miles, while towing a 1500 lbs camper (I know, not much) and had zero problems. BUT - buy a Koyo radiator and spend an afternoon swapping it out and you'll have zero SMOD worries and your tranny will be cool as well (although, I wouldn't worry about it where you live).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.