Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
The oil pressure switch is bad on my 2006 Xterra, as the gauge always reads max pressure. I ordered a new switch, and I would like to replace it soon.
My question is, should the switch be installed "dry" or should I use Teflon tape or other type of sealant on the threads of the switch? I don't want the new switch to leak after the install.
Also how difficult is the switch to replace? Any tips or pointers?

Thanks,
Zack

·
on line
209 Posts
According to the FSM all you need is RTV.

"Apply liquid gasket and tighten oil pressure sensor to the specification.
Use Genuine RTV Silicone Sealant or equivalent."
Oil pressure sensor torque : 14.7 N·m (1.5 kg-m, 11 ft-lb)

·
on line
2,234 Posts
NO TAPE! The little fibers like to come off and go floating through the engine. Since this is on the flitered side it puts tape debris into the filtered oil. Teflon tape does not dissolve in oil. If that gets into the variable valve solenoids it can make for ugly things.

A very light touch of Teflon paste is all I would use.

Being that you have an '06 check that you have the correct sending unit before you start. '06 had a running change from 3-wire to 1-wire senders. They are not interchangeable. They thread in the same but the wires are different.

Also Teflon tape can be an insulator. The paste allows electrical contact that the tape can insulate.

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NO TAPE! The little fibers like to come off and go floating through the engine. Since this is on the flitered side it puts tape debris into the filtered oil. Teflon tape does not dissolve in oil. If that gets into the variable valve solenoids it can make for ugly things.

A very light touch of Teflon paste is all I would use.

Being that you have an '06 check that you have the correct sending unit before you start. '06 had a running change from 3-wire to 1-wire senders. They are not interchangeable. They thread in the same but the wires are different.

Also Teflon tape can be an insulator. The paste allows electrical contact that the tape can insulate.
I read about the changeover in 2006. I ordered the sensor from Rockauto and they sent me the three wire sensor. I hope my truck has the three wire sensor. I am going to try this job tomorrow.

Zack

·
on line
350 Posts
To confirm, does the 3 wire indicate a sensor for the "live" oil pressure gauge (2006 and earlier) and the 1 wire for the "dummy" gauge (what is used in later model models) ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts