Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
on line
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to paddlesport 2008 today in NJ and bought two 14' yaks. They are wilderness system Tsunamis, one is a 140 and the other is a 135 for the girlfriend. Now I cant wait for the weather to warm up.

The picture is from inside the house so it is a little blurry. I dont have this picture taking thing down.

The people walking past when the boats were getting loaded said it looked like a nissan commercial

·
on line
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
at the end of the bow tie down there is a metal hook that they put through a hole in the frame. Actually worked out pretty well. Too well. I wanted to use the bow and stern tie downs as an excuse for shrockworks bumpers.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
ha, woulda been a fine excuse.
im trying to rear-end someone and have it their fault for my excuse.
...i dont think its possible.

·
on line
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about stopping short a few times to take care of the rear bumper but the front one will take some creativity.

·
on line
1,123 Posts
If someone were to anonymously back into your bumper, and then drive off without leaving a note, you'd get what you want. The convenient thing is that there is no way to tell if someone backed into you, or if you drove into another car/object.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Looks good! Nice boats.
This is how I got away from letting the bow tiedowns rub on my paint. I used flat webbing loops that are bolted to the inner fenderwell.

·
on line
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a nice way to do it.

My tie downs have a plastic sleeve about 8 inches long over the cable that you can place at the point of contact with the paint. I think it does a good job but maybe you know differenlty.

·
on line
10,133 Posts
18'...When in Jerz, I go to Split Rock Res., Monksville Res., or Lake Muscenectong (my buddy lives on the lake). These are all places in North Jerz tho. It doesn't have a rudder, just a skeg. I love the boat. It's fast as hell and handles pretty damn good for a big boat. It's composite, so it weighs in at only 53 lbs.

·
on line
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is one light boat. My 14' is about the same weight.

Who makes that boat.

I will have to check those areas this summer.

·
on line
1,017 Posts
How much for the kayaks if you don't mind me asking...me and the wife want 2 but there is no place to store them living in an apartmetn right now. damnit.

·
on line
10,133 Posts
it's a Necky Chatham 18. The reason I got such a big boat is because I'm a tall bastard (6' 4"). I can't fit in a kayak much smaller than the one I got. Mine was NOT cheap. I think it was in the ballpark of $2400. BUT, that's because it's composite and freakin huge. You have to remember that when you add a nice paddle, PFD, roof rack stuff, and other misc. gear, it adds up quick. I got all my stuff at Jersey Paddler and I think I dropped close to $3500 that day when all was said and done.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: I'm pretty good size to (6' 4"), but I just wanted to be able to go in the High lakes, while we're camping and get out in the deeper waters, so--

--I use this 10' SEVYLOR Inflatable and it's pretty easy to handle, (20 lbs)-

--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Funny - all my stuff so far has come from jersey paddler.

The boats were about $1,200 each and like creek said the other stuff just adds up so quick.

I bought cheap werner paddles for $100 each, the rack was about $500 I dont have life jackets yet or anything else so the total keeps climbing.

I hope it is worth it. These are my first boats.

·
on line
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is a nice boat. I was at the Necky section of the kayak show for a long time. I really wanted a longer boat but I also wanted something easier to turn and a little more stable for my girlfriend. I hope I made a good compromise.

I did like the necky looksha and the manitou bot were around 14'.

I never expected paddles to be that much. If I feel the need for a lighter paddle after going out a bunch i will take a steeper plunge. It was hard because everything I was buying I was getting two.

Do you have any recommended paddle locations in northern NJ.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts