Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Pro4x MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my X 2 years ago from South Carolina, so its rust free! 2012 Pro4X manual transmission.

I live in Syracuse and explore lots of start forest and the Adirondacks. If you know where to look, there's lots of fun places.

There are still quite a few forest access roads that are very rough and bring you to nice secluded camp sites. I pretty much only use my X for tent camping in primitive site on rough "roads" that I use as a basecamp for hiking adventures.

In the springtime, there is a lot of mud and I try to avoid that. In the fall and winter, there is lots of snow and I don't/can't avoid that ;)

I broke two mudflaps that first trip out. Removed them after!

·
Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
440 Posts
Hello and welcome !
Awesome to see more X owners here on east coast
Great looking Xterra

·
Registered
578 Posts
Welcome in...
Already putting to good use...I like that

·
Registered
6 inch suspension lift with 33" tires and ShockWorks front bumper, sliders, and skid plates.s.
129 Posts
Can you recommend any places to ride in the southern parts of New York?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I got my X 2 years ago from South Carolina, so its rust free! 2012 Pro4X manual transmission.

I live in Syracuse and explore lots of start forest and the Adirondacks. If you know where to look, there's lots of fun places.

There are still quite a few forest access roads that are very rough and bring you to nice secluded camp sites. I pretty much only use my X for tent camping in primitive site on rough "roads" that I use as a basecamp for hiking adventures.

In the springtime, there is a lot of mud and I try to avoid that. In the fall and winter, there is lots of snow and I don't/can't avoid that ;)

View attachment 134451

View attachment 134452

View attachment 134453

View attachment 134454

View attachment 134455
I broke two mudflaps that first trip out. Removed them after!

View attachment 134456

View attachment 134457

View attachment 134458

View attachment 134459
Love the X! Looked for black and blue, whichever fit first. And fellow “not NYC”er from Rochester. I think I was there 2 years ago on those trails. The bridge looks familiar. Anywhere near Tinker Falls? Got a friend there up in Cicero I visit from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Looks like you found so nice trails up there! Are those cooper discoverer at3 xlt's? 285's?

·
Registered
2012 Pro4x MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like you found so nice trails up there! Are those cooper discoverer at3 xlt's? 285's?
Thanks, its tough to find trails in NY, but they exist and I am very respectful of mud season.

Good eye, I do indeed have Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT LT285/75-16. Been mostly happy with them; the snow/ice performance is a bit lacking (tire chains do wonders), but I might attribute that to the large size and not so much the tire. Airing down considerably is a must with them.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Thanks, its tough to find trails in NY, but they exist and I am very respectful of mud season.

Good eye, I do indeed have Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT LT285/75-16. Been mostly happy with them; the snow/ice performance is a bit lacking (tire chains do wonders), but I might attribute that to the large size and not so much the tire. Airing down considerably is a must with them.

thanks!

I also was concerned about winter performance, Im really looking for something with a 3 peak mountain snowflake rating, and it doesnt look like they have it. but otherwise it seems like a solid tire.

looks good though!

·
Registered
2012 Pro4x MT
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks!

I also was concerned about winter performance, Im really looking for something with a 3 peak mountain snowflake rating, and it doesnt look like they have it. but otherwise it seems like a solid tire.

looks good though!
I hear the AT3 4S is much better in the snow/ice (it has a lot more siping), but they didn't have it in the size I wanted....

I was also considering the NOKIAN ROTIIVA AT PLUS, which would have kicked butt in the snow, but I try not to drive my Xterra in the winter anyway due to the salty roads.

·
Registered
426 Posts
thanks!

looks good though!
I have the exact same setup and completely agree with @wildbillsyr on snow/ice performance. Everything else was solid as I had them at Rausch Creek in dry and mud with no complaints.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I have the exact same setup and completely agree with @wildbillsyr on snow/ice performance. Everything else was solid as I had them at Rausch Creek in dry and mud with no complaints.

Ice, i mean unless youve got studs installed, no tire is going to get good grip on ice. its more about wet/snow for me.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ice, i mean unless youve got studs installed, no tire is going to get good grip on ice. its more about wet/snow for me.
Yeah, I know ice. Been here in western NY for over 45 years. Snow/ice doesn’t bug me but I’ve had better tires before for that. Just another reason to get out of NY for me I guess. Retire and sell peanuts and popcorn on the beach in Florida or S Carolina?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Yeah, I know ice. Been here in western NY for over 45 years. Snow/ice doesn’t bug me but I’ve had better tires before for that. Just another reason to get out of NY for me I guess. Retire and sell peanuts and popcorn on the beach in Florida or S Carolina?

SC still get ice, FL doesnt! also less taxes. ( fwiw i grew up in FL!)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love the Adirondacks. I ride up to Lake George on my Motorcycle every year. Rode all through the region. Lake Saranac, Lake Placid and so on. Would love to find places to wheel up there. I'm on the Island. We do lots of beach driving.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 inch suspension lift with 33" tires and ShockWorks front bumper, sliders, and skid plates.s.
129 Posts
I love the Adirondacks. I ride up to Lake George on my Motorcycle every year. Rode all through the region. Lake Saranac, Lake Placid and so on. Would love to find places to wheel up there. I'm on the Island. We do lots of beach driving.

Long Island? Started networking with people in LI, the five boroughs, and southern NY. Let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Long Island? Started networking with people in LI, the five boroughs, and southern NY. Let me know if you are interested.
Yes, Long Island. The only time we get to use our 4x4 down here is snow storms and driving on the beaches lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts