Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. First xterra, first nissan....

Here to get squared away on a my new x. I have a 2014 prox on order (lava red) with tow package and leather. No floormats. going to go weather tech hood guard, window covers, and digital floormats....

We were originally planning on getting a 4runner, and really liked it, especially for its size/capacity. By the time I built out a new 2014 4 runner trail with leather and nav, it was like 40 grand. we stepped down to a SR5, and it was 38 with no locker. I drove a Pro-4x and really liked how it drove...honestly it drove better than the runner imo...better engine feel and ride.....and while a little smaller than we originally wanted, getting one totally loaded with leather for about 30 made it a no brainer choice.

My plans for this Veh is mall crawling, general overlanding, skiing/camping, and getting to para gliding launch sights off the beaten path. I have absolutely no desire in 'rock crawling' or 'mud bogging' beyond what i need to get to my intended destination.

So that being said, I wanted to sign up here and get some expert advice on how to build it out. Ive been doing a lot of lurking and searching already, but want to go ahead and get some additional input.

I dont have any desire for a ARB style bumper....i read a member here did a factory bumper winch mount which is way more my style....i may eventually do a rear bumper with a tire swing out. Im planning on using an old man emu lift. Ive used them in the past on my jeep and really liked the over all quality, ride and price.

-is the winch mount for factory bumper still available?

-Im thinking WARN m8000....thoughts?

-if i do a winch mount, shrock sliders and full skids, which old man emu lift should i get? heavy duty or regular duty?

-volant intakes....is there a sealed model available direct from volant to match up to a snorkel? or are the sealed boxes all user one-offs? Im going to snorkel it, more for convoy dust than for water....this X will get wet, but i dont go out of my way looking for water fording...just what it takes to get to where im going.

-from reading around BITOG sight, it seems like mobile 1 0w40 performs well in this VQ engine...is that the consensus here as well?

-can i mount a RTT to the factory rack?

-i like letting engines breath. is the Nismo exhaust for the X good to go? I dont mind a little purr, but I dont want a lound exhaust by any means. free flow and relatively quiet....

Thanks for the help guys. Looking forward to getting into the new X :drink:

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
If you mean the RockyMtnX winch cradle, he should still be making them. Check out the Member's Product subforum for more details. Do keep in mind that you're going to have to chop up your front bumper to mount it.

Heavy Duty OME kit will probably be ideal for the weight of the winch and sliders. The rears are the same IIRC, but the front coilover springs are upgraded. You won't get too much lift out of OME but it's a solid kit.

I'm probably wrong, but I think I have seen builds with RTTs on the stock rails. If not, you can add a simple platform (which has definitely been done) with basic fabrication skills.

As to letting the engine breathe, the first thing you'll want to do is replace the stock "Y-pipe" (note the quotes), and headers if you have the patience/time. The rest is just details.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you mean the RockyMtnX winch cradle, he should still be making them. Check out the Member's Product subforum for more details. Do keep in mind that you're going to have to chop up your front bumper to mount it.

Heavy Duty OME kit will probably be ideal for the weight of the winch and sliders. The rears are the same IIRC, but the front coilover springs are upgraded. You won't get too much lift out of OME but it's a solid kit.

I'm probably wrong, but I think I have seen builds with RTTs on the stock rails. If not, you can add a simple platform (which has definitely been done) with basic fabrication skills.

As to letting the engine breathe, the first thing you'll want to do is replace the stock "Y-pipe" (note the quotes), and headers if you have the patience/time. The rest is just details.
Thanks for the reply and the info...

I think the OME lift will be good to go for my needs. it looks like it will give me 2" lift, and ill do the "dakar" springs in the rear. Based on your advice for sliders/skids/which, ill go HD on the front. Honestly, with a lift, the stock 31.5" tire will get me everywhere i want to go. I dont go anywhere crazy, and dont see the point in buying a whole bunch of lift and tire i dont need.

Ill tag up on that winch mount.

Also, based on your recommendation, replace the headers, y pipe, and probably some high flow cats...from there to the stock cat back?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
This is good advice.

I agree on the 4runner. I don't like the 5th gen. All of them, minus the Trail, feel like you are driving a big boat. I definitely wouldn't pay. $40k for a trail edition.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
I'm not an exhaust guy, so I'll let the next poster answer that one, but I do know the stock y-pipe is poorly designed.

I have a medium duty OME kit - I was at 1.75" out of the box and settled to about 1.5". On my stock tires (30.5" for the SE) I was still dragging my skid plates across everything, so I went for 33" tires. PS, speaking of skids, Hefty Fabworks is having a 15% Black Friday sale until tomorrow. I know you don't have your truck yet but on top of their full set discount, you're getting a hell of a deal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not an exhaust guy, so I'll let the next poster answer that one, but I do know the stock y-pipe is poorly designed.

I have a medium duty OME kit - I was at 1.75" out of the box and settled to about 1.5". On my stock tires (30.5" for the SE) I was still dragging my skid plates across everything, so I went for 33" tires. PS, speaking of skids, Hefty Fabworks is having a 15% Black Friday sale until tomorrow. I know you don't have your truck yet but on top of their full set discount, you're getting a hell of a deal.
good info...thanks. Ill check out hefty fabworks.

with the OME heavy duty kit, would i be able to fit 255 85/r16? That would be my choice for 33"s if I did need to punch up a tire size.

Or should I consider another lift kit with a little more lift? My primary concern is durability/reliability and ride.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is good advice.

I agree on the 4runner. I don't like the 5th gen. All of them, minus the Trail, feel like you are driving a big boat. I definitely wouldn't pay. $40k for a trail edition.

I agree...i like leather, and really like leather clean up for having kids..so that was a definite for me.

I dont have a problem paying for what i get, but I did not walk away from the 4runner feeling like it was worth 40k, and definitely not worth 10k more than the xterra.

·
on line
684 Posts
I always actually thought that the 4runners rode a bit better than the xterra does. The 4Runners reminded me of my 2001 Isuzu Rodeo. That 4link rear suspension and flexy front end felt right for a pavement and offroad pounder in one package where my xterra and frontier just felt like rock solid yet wobbly tank in stock configuration in comparison.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I always actually thought that the 4runners rode a bit better than the xterra does. The 4Runners reminded me of my 2001 Isuzu Rodeo. That 4link rear suspension and flexy front end felt right for a pavement and offroad pounder in one package where my xterra and frontier just felt like rock solid yet wobbly tank in stock configuration in comparison.
Have you driven a 5th gen 4Runner? The Trail Edition uses a different suspension and has a more conventional drive, but the SR5 and Limited wallow down the road like a 70s Cadillac. Its horrible. The 2nd gen Xterra feels rock solid in comparison.

·
on line
684 Posts
Have you driven a 5th gen 4Runner? The Trail Edition uses a different suspension and has a more conventional drive, but the SR5 and Limited wallow down the road like a 70s Cadillac. Its horrible. The 2nd gen Xterra feels rock solid in comparison.
Ah I haven't driven the newest, but I'm sure a heavy body on frame with that soft of suspension doesn't drive with such a confident feel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah I haven't driven the newest, but I'm sure a heavy body on frame with that soft of suspension doesn't drive with such a confident feel.
Exactly.

The kdss technology on the trail is a 1600 dollar option. Which is, imo, absolutely worth it. That said, a $1600 option thats worth it doeant make the rest of the truck worth 40-42k. Getting just the base sr5 with faux leather and premium sound/navigation is still over 38k. Just didnt seem worth it when a loaded pro4x is only 30.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
10,980 Posts
with the OME heavy duty kit, would i be able to fit 255 85/r16? That would be my choice for 33"s if I did need to punch up a tire size.

Or should I consider another lift kit with a little more lift? My primary concern is durability/reliability and ride.
I'm running that size tire just fine on an 83k mile stock Offroad ('08) suspension that's shot all to heck ... meaning I sit loooooow. All I did with those tires was mount them on the stock rims (wider/more offset from aftermarket will be a different story), and do a 'melt mod' to the back of the front fender liners ... that was 50k miles ago and it's been great to me ever since ... 'course with a 1 year old I haven't gotten out much lately, so it hasn't really had a chance to get as dirty as it likes, but it's served me well in Moab (before kiddo) and getting up to the mountains for camping and skiing (only once since kiddo ... :rolleyes:).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Picked her up this weekend and logged on to ExPo also.

Gotta say, i really love this truck.

Only issue is the temp display in the mirror is stuck on "oc" so ill let the dealer take care of it on the first service. I think the temp unit is in the bumper, if it clears up and im not laying in slush, Ill take a look and see if its connected and all.

·
on line
1,511 Posts
Congrats on the new X! Most of your concerns have been addressed, but letting the engine breathe issue I might be able to help on.

The issue with the Xterra's exhaust is where the two sides meet up in a restrictive "Y" connection. If you are looking for better breathing, great quality and "NON-Droning" system, the best shot is a 2 into 1 Magnaflow, part no. 12580 muffler and have a shop weld up a catback.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30943&highlight=magnaflow+catback

If Engine warranty is not an issue, the headers and hi-flow cats can be used with this system and will yield the highest gains. Only issue you'll have is this will lean out the mixture so you'll want to do some type of EM tuning.

This pic shows how the 2 into 1 is welded in to replace the "Y" Pipe.

The Volant Intake does mate up to their snorkel, all you have to do is use their template and cut the fender, then plumb the system. Oh, you might have to relocate the horn, but that is real easy. The Volant is also highly used by folks here.

Good luck man and Welcome!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats on the new X! Most of your concerns have been addressed, but letting the engine breathe issue I might be able to help on.

The issue with the Xterra's exhaust is where the two sides meet up in a restrictive "Y" connection. If you are looking for better breathing, great quality and "NON-Droning" system, the best shot is a 2 into 1 Magnaflow, part no. 12580 muffler and have a shop weld up a catback.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30943&highlight=magnaflow+catback

If Engine warranty is not an issue, the headers and hi-flow cats can be used with this system and will yield the highest gains. Only issue you'll have is this will lean out the mixture so you'll want to do some type of EM tuning.

This pic shows how the 2 into 1 is welded in to replace the "Y" Pipe.

The Volant Intake does mate up to their snorkel, all you have to do is use their template and cut the fender, then plumb the system. Oh, you might have to relocate the horn, but that is real easy. The Volant is also highly used by folks here.

Good luck man and Welcome!!
Hey thanks for the info....

So Volant has a high mount snorkel that mates to their intake? I was under the impression is was an airflow snorkel or something that had a connection piece that fit to the volant intake?

I was looking at a Gibson exhaust (carb exempt etc) that replaces the restrictive y pipe?

What do you suggest for engine management to compensate for all that?

Thanks!

·
on line
1,511 Posts
You are correct, it is the Airflow Snorkel. Uprev would be the tuner of choice, it is more customizable than Bullydog.

IMO the Gibson exhaust is fairly loud, and has noticeable drone at highway speed, but if CARB Cert is important, you won't have much choice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
really? I thought the gibson was supposed to be a quiet one?

what does it need to kill the drone? an added resonator? different muffler? any other carb cert exhausts out there that fix the problem?

edit: Im also pretty familiar with the advantages of 'tunable' software for max gains etc...but i really just want a 'set it and forget it' type file that i can set to whatever octane i want and go.

I dont care about the CARB cert perse, only as far as not getting hassled.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I wouldn't buy a bullydog for a 13 or 14. They don't have WOT restriction removal on those yrs. a friend of mine has a 13 frontier and found out the hard way. They said they have no date on it either. It didn't sound promising. He said they told him they aren't investing more in the Nissan trucks/SUVs.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
If you decide to go for the magnaflow, advance auto parts has it for approx $120. When checking out ( online) enter code TRT41 for $40 off from $100 or more and free shipping

1 - 20 of 26 Posts