Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2006 Night Armor Xterra S
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I just picked up a 2006 Xterra X in granite metallic with 138,000 miles a few days ago. I’ve already taken it on 4 different trails including Pilot’s Knob and Crystal (in Colorado). After the Pilot’s Knob adventure I deleted the OEM nerf bars and mud flaps since I was bottoming those out horribly, so my X is 98% stock. I’m still deciding on a name, I was thinking seXy since I’ll probably put an se badge in front of my XTerra badge.

I’ve already bought Ironman Nitro Gas Performance suspension kit, SPC upper control arms, and wheel bolt patter adapters... still waiting on the to arrive.

Unfortunately, the previous owner didn’t maintain the X very well. The dif fluid and transfer case fluid have never been replaced, the tranny slips bad, they wrote with permanent marker all over the engine bay, and they were running diesel engine oil for a few dozen thousand miles. I already bought the supplies to change the oils. I also have plans to replace the radiator with a Koyo. I may also have to get the transmission rebuilt (again). I can only hope the engine wasn’t damaged too much by the diesel oil.

My initial thought on the XTerra is very positive. It has more cargo space than any other vehicle I’ve ever seen this size, especially since the front seat folds down. I figured out you can slide the passenger seat far enough forward you can take out the rear passenger side bench and fit it in between the folded down seat and the front passenger seat, so I slept in it for 3 nights on a camping trip. It was pretty comfortable.

The situation with the sound system is upsetting. The first owner installed a pioneer head unit in place of the OEM head unit. The next owner didn’t like it so he replaced the pioneer head unit with a broken OEM head unit from a junkyard and tossed the pioneer. I like my music, so I have plans on replacing the speakers with Alpine Type-R 6x9’s and 6.5’s along with the iLX-W650 head unit with a KTA-450 amp. I also have a pair of R-Type 12” subs with a 1200W amp for the rear. This is going to be the best sound system I’ll probably ever own. 😱

Beyond that, I plan on wheeling every summer in CO. I have plans to mod my X over the next few years and build a mean lean wheeling machine. I’m talking full Al skids, armor, front and rear lockers, front and rear Al bumpers, roof rack, tire carrier, 33’s, high quality lights (light bar, fog lights, upgraded headlights), interior improvements, mechanical improvements (intake manifold spacer, exhaust upgrade, header upgrade, and maaaaaybe a supercharger), and mods I probably don’t even know about yet. I’m pretty excited. I’m starting college this year though, so I’m not sure how many mods I’ll be able to afford. I’ll probably start a build thread.

I look forward to joining the community!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Welcome. I would have zero issues using a motor oil for diesels. Have better detergent packs but usually 15-40. To bad about it needing a tranny so soon. Mine is at 120k but had recommended all fluids changed and plugs at 90k and another round of changes completed last month. Zero tranny issues now using Valvoline Maxlife. More worried about a failing crankshaft or camshaft sensors

·
Registered
581 Posts
Welcome in....

·
TNX Administrator
20,443 Posts
Welcome to the New TNX Site - (y)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts