Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I had to use the stock scissor jack the other day because I didn't have room to use my hi lift. ended up throwing the scissor jack onto the off road base I have for my hi lift and lifted my wheels off the ground high enough for me to throw the X on jack stands

·
TNX Veteran
4,179 Posts
Get a Hi-lift and store it under your rear seat. There used to be a how-to thread, but I can't seem to find it. I have mine there along with a shovel and an ax. Works great.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
Cheap easy fix. Toss this in the X. Use the scissor Jack on top of it. You can store it in the wet box on the roof or under the rear cover in the back, or under a seat.

This. I keep a couple of 2x4's under my drivers seat. It's amazing how often I use them for random tasks. I wouldn't leave without them

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the quick responses.

I figured I'd throw a 2x6 in my truck to raise the scissor - but honestly, I don't feel like carrying around a block of wood all the time. I'm going to look into that high-lift storage mod. However, I don't have sliders. All I have are stock steps so a high-lift jack might not work for me. I need to research it further.

·
on line
2,243 Posts
Block of wood is cheaper and lighter than a High-lift that won't have any lift points on your Xterra anyway.

I like a nice bottle jack personally. But there are issues that require them to have a minimum clearance to install. The stock scissor jack is really amazing in the range that it can lift.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Block of wood is cheaper and lighter than a High-lift that won't have any lift points on your Xterra anyway.

I like a nice bottle jack personally. But there are issues that require them to have a minimum clearance to install. The stock scissor jack is really amazing in the range that it can lift.
Yeah, I understand. I carry a bottle jack when I tow the boat trailer in FL. I guess it could fit, but it weighs a TON (no pun intended).

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I use my 60in hi lift for everything but i also have sliders and lift points on my front and rear bumper. If you get sliders you could use a hi lift no problem.

otherwise a block of wood and a bottle jack is your best bet.

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
My Xterra is lifted 2 inches with Hefty sliders. This is what I carry:

Factory scissors jack

Walmart 6 ton bottle jack

Bogert Manufacturing "Safe Jack" bottle jack recovery kit

Bogert Manufacturing compact jack stand

48" Hi-Lift Jack

Hi-Lift Offroad jack base

Hi-Lift Jack tube adaptor (for use with sliders)

Folding shovel and Max Axe multipurpose tool

I also carry pieces of scrap 2x4 and 2x6 lumber and some asphalt shingles for getting unstuck in soft sand or snow/ice.

I'm not sure if my factory scissors jack will be of much use now that my truck is lifted and sports larger tires, but there is no compelling reason not to carry it in the factory location under the rear seat. At least it will still be where it belongs rather than lost somewhere in the garage when it comes time to retire my Xterra.

I find the 6-ton bottle jack and Bogert jack accessories to be much more useful than a Hi-Lift for tire changing and almost all other purposes. The bottle jack recovery kit makes its use quite stable on rough terrain, and the bottle jack fits well into the Hi-Lift offroad jack base for use on soft or uneven ground. I bought the Bogert compact jack stand (8x10 version) because it uses the same extensions as the Bogert bottle jack recovery kit and because I am more comfortable doing a trail repair with the rig supported by a jack and jack stand rather than a jack alone. (And because I thought it was a cool item.)

I still carry my Hi-Lift jack hidden under the rear seat, and have a tube adaptor so I can jack up my rig from the sliders. Without the adaptor there would be no way to use the Hi-Lift jack on an Xterra at all (plastic bumper covers). I would probably just leave it at home, but I've had it for many years and it does have a use as a come-along.

The scrap lumber weighs almost nothing, consumes little space, and is useful as a jack base, means for additional jacking height, as wheel chocks, and for many other purposes in a pinch. (Many years ago, in another rig, I used a piece of scrap 2x4 and a piece of chain to improvise a motor mount so I could drive off the trail.)

Just my two cents. Your needs may vary.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I found the 48 to be too short. On level ground it works ok but the ground is rarely level on the trail.
I'm lifted but nothing too crazy, the 60in works like a charm

·
Registered
120 Posts
For side of the highway changing of a tire, the stock jack can still be used under the axle no? At least for the rear tires.
The front jack point is on the frame so it might not work.

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
Wow that compact jack stand is $220!!!! Womp.
That is the suggested retail price for the full bottle jack extension kit plus the jack stand base. The retail price for the jack stand base alone is $70.

A bit pricey for sure, but a discount code is published on expeditionportal.com from time to time that reduces the price 15%. That's how I got mine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts