Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any place that has aftermarket hoods for our X??? My guess is no... but it is worth a shot....

How much do you think a body shop might charge to convert my hood into a scoop style hood... what is a fair price.... Or should I just have a shop make one from scratc (im guessing that would be ALOT more)

·
on line
1,716 Posts
mcampana said:
Id try a hot rod shop. I bet they could do what you want and not kill you on the price. But then again, if it has to be repainted, then your goona spend some cash.
I agree! Even something like an old school scoop could be made to look good on the X.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
I used to get a performance products catalog for trucks that had a bunch of stuff like that. I dont know what they will have for the Xterra but it is a start. Look up performanceproducts on the web.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Ok, I have to ask...why?

I can see if you want it / need it for the SC, but where does the SC draw it's air?

If you are just doing it for looks, might want to think about cawl inducted scoop and small rad fan to keep the engine bay cool. I have been wating to do this for quite some time as my engine bay temp when wheeling in the summer is ungodly high.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
Muzikman said:
Ok, I have to ask...why?

I can see if you want it / need it for the SC, but where does the SC draw it's air?

If you are just doing it for looks, might want to think about cawl inducted scoop and small rad fan to keep the engine bay cool. I have been wating to do this for quite some time as my engine bay temp when wheeling in the summer is ungodly high.
I thought I saw somewhere that they have to cut the inside bracing of the X/Frontie hood when they install the SC. I like the idea of the small fan to exhaust the hot air when wheeling.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah the idea behind the scoop is.... If you saw the piece that they cut out, they also have to cut out the protective fire resistant padding on the underside of the hood... Im not sure how hot it gets under that baby but I am a little worried that the paint or clearcoat on the top of the hood might start to foul up because of all that heat..... It doesnt need to be a scoop... Im not sure what the other type is called... sort of looks like a reverse scoop.... I just want room enough to make it fit and have the paint protected.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Then i would go with a cawl inducted (reversed) scoop and run a fan (blowing out) in it. Like I said, in PA in the summer when wheeling my engine bay temp can reach some ugly numbers.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
is it possible to get those fake ones and cut the intake portion open, cut the hood and have it molded so it looks like it belongs on the hood?? i know the molding part can be done, but i'm not sure if the fake scoops could be cut open and mocked up to really work.

oh, and my real vote is for a cowl hood

·
on line
1,792 Posts
The louvers, like on the Cherokee in the pic above, or the 98 5.9 L Grand Cherokee, which comes with them, would work well. I have the 98 with the louvers and you can feel the heat blowing out of them. The Jeep guys who don't have the 98 GC poach them from all sorts of older muscle cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts