Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

New HO Coilpack from Z1...

9K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  jmd11mtb 
#1 ·
#4 ·
wait what am i missing. why do you need high outpout coils? I would never put an audi part on my X lol audis are great cars.. until something breaks...

unless your like supercharged with larger injectors.. why would anyone need HO coils?
There's no real need for the HO coils, honestly, unless you're throwing in a supercharged VK or something like that. However, I did gain significantly better throttle response and about 2 MPG. They're also not Audi, they were NGK. :)
Especially for $350, is the benefit really THAT significant? I would like to know what it is.

I guess OEM is ~$100 per, and aftermarket is about $300 total, so the price isn't that bad relative. But hard to replace all my good ones if not needed
I honestly don't think it's a great mod, when it comes to bang-for-the-buck. However, I do think it would be good for someone who is replacing old coils or building a modded engine and they have literally nothing left to modify.

#3 ·
Especially for $350, is the benefit really THAT significant? I would like to know what it is.

I guess OEM is ~$100 per, and aftermarket is about $50/per or $300 total, so the price isn't that bad relative to these. But hard to replace all my good ones if not needed

#5 ·
I always thought higher output coils lasted not as long - perhaps that's changed over time?

I also thought it caused the plugs to run hotter - making them more likely to seize in the head. Am I misinformed on this also?

However if your willing to accept more maintenance, it probably does help the burn a little - if nothing else your cats might last longer?

/QUOTE]

Rock Auto is $33.00 each for HItachi - so assuming there legit and not knock off there about $200 plus shipping a set. Its not a huge difference, but I agree that the performance benefit likely isn't worth the money?

#10 ·
Well that's a good question. Maybe his old coils were worn out, and the new coils improved the mileage. Maybe new stock coils would have improved the mileage as well. EPA mileage is based on when the EPA tests the car once a year, so they test with new coils presumably? I am not sure if there is a long term follow up.

Of course, with closed loop control I am unsure why it would matter since the engine is going to be forced into 14.7:1 Stochiometric ratio either way.

Or possibly the hotter coils work better in real world driving, vs the standard driving EPA test track which is identical and published and the same for everyone (that is how VW was able to cheat - it sensed the test.)

Either way mine likely need changing anyway - they only have 371,000 miles on them. The Audi ones are actually cheaper - but of course I need the adapter. Denso on rock auto are $22.00 vs $33.00 for the Denso Nissan version. The NGK mentioned above are $19.00. So even with the adpaters its not much more - assuming the guy on facebook still sells them?

#13 ·
"Nissan Coilpack only has 1 coil. Audi has 2 coils as you can see in the picture below. By having 2 coils it doubles the spark output and can easily handle spark blow out that turbocharged vehicles suffer from."

Again, unless your Forced induction, I dont see the benefit, also your adding another failure point with the adapters to make them fit the nissan wiring.

#14 ·
With the Audi coils being all metal boot - is it possible to get them installed in number 1 without removing the intake manifold? If not then this is a non starter for me as well.

I will say I am intrigued however. The article I read says your going form 30,000 to 50,000 volts. That has its own problems - however it says that the metal boot dissipates heat from the plug better - which is good, less likely to seize in the head. Also it should improve cold start with hotter spark as well. Not that our rigs have any issues starting anyway, but in theory.

#15 ·
The first time I heard of the Audi coil swap mod was around late 2018 - early 2019.

Since this time, I will hear mention of the coil swap mod on occasion, with mixed opinions.

However, the one common detail is everyone seems to be quoting a dyno result posted on facebook from a few years past .

I couldn't find a current dyno post from a reputable shop which could prove or dispute the claims supporting the coil swap.

#17 ·
I’ll toss those alongside the intake manifold spacer in my do not try pile.
There is no way a 2mpg difference can be had when compared to new, OEM coils. Plus, as others stated, if it improved fuel economy without sacrificing wear or emissions, it would have been done OEM.

#19 ·
Well that puts another damper on things, although I am not surprised - I have always thought and heard higher voltage coils last less time. I was sort of interested in this mod just because, but its likely not worth doing in the end as others have mentioned unless your really pushing your rig often.

#23 ·
So replacing the ignition coils at 70K miles resulted in an increase in throttle response and MPG? Both outcomes indicate better combustion is taking place after coil replacement.

If you google "do ignition coils weaken over time?", you get articles suggesting both Yes and No. Your data suggests the OEM coils with only 70K miles may have weakened over time, or else those new coils are just that much better. I assume the spark plugs weren't changed at the same time as the coils, correct?

After your experiment, I'm tempted to replace my OEM coils with Hitachi coils at 65K on my vehicle just to see if the OEM coils do actually weaken over time. I did an early spark plug replacement at around 60K miles and immediately noticed a smoother idle. If I can extend the life of the CATs even more by preventing more unburnt fuel making its way down to them with fresh coils, it might be an interesting experiment at the RockAuto cost of about 6*32+shipping = $200ish. Hmmmm?

#25 ·
Initially, no I didn't replace the spark plugs, but I still showed increased MPG. I went back in a second time, trying track down a loose connection and at that point, I replace the plugs. The MPG didn't change beyond the initial increase I noticed, though.

#26 · (Edited)
The only way to figure this out is with a spreadsheet :p

Someone is going to have to take one for the team. Replace your spark plugs first. Then buy a new set of OEM coils, install them, drive around and record MPGs. Then install a new set of the Audi coils and do the same thing.

Replacing old factory coils with brand new Audi coils and going "These are better than factory coils!" isn't scientific in any stretch.

#29 · (Edited)
To revive the tread, I have pulled a trigger and purchased the Z1 Performance coils. They should arrive by tomorrow. I will report my findings. My plan is to swap coils only, since the spark plugs in my car are only 32,000 miles young.

June 21 2022 Update:

Coils installed. The car drives fine, but it also drove fine with the OEM coils. I will report MPG changes, if any, once I will accumulate any significant miles.

Jarek

Attachments

#31 ·
Bratcat,

You might be right with the tune.

Unfortunately,I haven't driven much miles yet to notice any mileage improvement if any (like 50 miles since the install). My car has IMS, CAI, and Magna Flow muffler swap so it drove pretty nice even before the coil swap.
There is a shop two hours away from where I live that does Nissan/Nismo tuning on dyno They are also the UpRev authorized shop.. Last time I have talked to them 3 years ago, they said it would take about $500 to get a tune for the Xterra. It is something on my to do list, maybe later in the year.

Should I disconnect battery to trigger relearn procedure, would that improve anything?

Jarek

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.