1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
wait what am i missing. why do you need high outpout coils? I would never put an audi part on my X lol audis are great cars.. until something breaks...

unless your like supercharged with larger injectors.. why would anyone need HO coils?

·
TNX Veteran
4,805 Posts
Especially for $350, is the benefit really THAT significant? I would like to know what it is.

I guess OEM is ~$100 per, and aftermarket is about $50/per or $300 total, so the price isn't that bad relative to these. But hard to replace all my good ones if not needed

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wait what am i missing. why do you need high outpout coils? I would never put an audi part on my X lol audis are great cars.. until something breaks...

unless your like supercharged with larger injectors.. why would anyone need HO coils?
There's no real need for the HO coils, honestly, unless you're throwing in a supercharged VK or something like that. However, I did gain significantly better throttle response and about 2 MPG. They're also not Audi, they were NGK. :)
Especially for $350, is the benefit really THAT significant? I would like to know what it is.

I guess OEM is ~$100 per, and aftermarket is about $300 total, so the price isn't that bad relative. But hard to replace all my good ones if not needed
I honestly don't think it's a great mod, when it comes to bang-for-the-buck. However, I do think it would be good for someone who is replacing old coils or building a modded engine and they have literally nothing left to modify.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I always thought higher output coils lasted not as long - perhaps that's changed over time?

I also thought it caused the plugs to run hotter - making them more likely to seize in the head. Am I misinformed on this also?

However if your willing to accept more maintenance, it probably does help the burn a little - if nothing else your cats might last longer?

/QUOTE]

I guess OEM is ~$100 per, and aftermarket is about $50/per or $300 total, so the price isn't that bad relative to these. But hard to replace all my good ones if not needed
Rock Auto is $33.00 each for HItachi - so assuming there legit and not knock off there about $200 plus shipping a set. Its not a huge difference, but I agree that the performance benefit likely isn't worth the money?

·
TNX Veteran
4,805 Posts
There's no real need for the HO coils, honestly, unless you're throwing in a supercharged VK or something like that. However, I did gain significantly better throttle response and about 2 MPG.
Really? 2 whole MPG?? If I could guarantee a nearly 2 MPG highway increase (15 to 17) I would buy right now.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Yeah, that's about what I gained the the Audi coils, I was actually a little shocked. I don't know what's advertised as gains for the Z1 coils, though.
2mpg is absolutely worth it - the ROI would be a few months. It would be nice to get specs from both coil packs to compare. Of course Z1 doesn't publish anything as far as specs go that I can see.

Anyone know much about the Audi ones? Found this link - haven't pursued it yet. R8 coil packs?

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
why would nissan leave 2mpg on the table if all it took was better coils? mfg's these days ( and even in '05) are doing anything to get better efficiency from their fleets.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
why would nissan leave 2mpg on the table if all it took was better coils? mfg's these days ( and even in '05) are doing anything to get better efficiency from their fleets.
Well that's a good question. Maybe his old coils were worn out, and the new coils improved the mileage. Maybe new stock coils would have improved the mileage as well. EPA mileage is based on when the EPA tests the car once a year, so they test with new coils presumably? I am not sure if there is a long term follow up.

Of course, with closed loop control I am unsure why it would matter since the engine is going to be forced into 14.7:1 Stochiometric ratio either way.

Or possibly the hotter coils work better in real world driving, vs the standard driving EPA test track which is identical and published and the same for everyone (that is how VW was able to cheat - it sensed the test.)

Either way mine likely need changing anyway - they only have 371,000 miles on them. The Audi ones are actually cheaper - but of course I need the adapter. Denso on rock auto are $22.00 vs $33.00 for the Denso Nissan version. The NGK mentioned above are $19.00. So even with the adpaters its not much more - assuming the guy on facebook still sells them?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
There's no real need for the HO coils, honestly, unless you're throwing in a supercharged VK or something like that. However, I did gain significantly better throttle response and about 2 MPG. They're also not Audi, they were NGK. :)

I honestly don't think it's a great mod, when it comes to bang-for-the-buck. However, I do think it would be good for someone who is replacing old coils or building a modded engine and they have literally nothing left to modify.
Did you post anything when you changed yours? If not do you mind posting a picture of them installed here, so us nubes can see what this adapter looks like?

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
"Nissan Coilpack only has 1 coil. Audi has 2 coils as you can see in the picture below. By having 2 coils it doubles the spark output and can easily handle spark blow out that turbocharged vehicles suffer from."

Again, unless your Forced induction, I dont see the benefit, also your adding another failure point with the adapters to make them fit the nissan wiring.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
With the Audi coils being all metal boot - is it possible to get them installed in number 1 without removing the intake manifold? If not then this is a non starter for me as well.

I will say I am intrigued however. The article I read says your going form 30,000 to 50,000 volts. That has its own problems - however it says that the metal boot dissipates heat from the plug better - which is good, less likely to seize in the head. Also it should improve cold start with hotter spark as well. Not that our rigs have any issues starting anyway, but in theory.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
The first time I heard of the Audi coil swap mod was around late 2018 - early 2019.

Since this time, I will hear mention of the coil swap mod on occasion, with mixed opinions.

However, the one common detail is everyone seems to be quoting a dyno result posted on facebook from a few years past .

I couldn't find a current dyno post from a reputable shop which could prove or dispute the claims supporting the coil swap.

·
on line
740 Posts
A good apples to apples comparison would be to run new out of the box OEM coils and then switching over to the new Audi units (which aren't made by Audi, probably Bosch). Running old coils that have been in service and then going to a NIB Audi coil of course will yield an improvement.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
I’ll toss those alongside the intake manifold spacer in my do not try pile.
There is no way a 2mpg difference can be had when compared to new, OEM coils. Plus, as others stated, if it improved fuel economy without sacrificing wear or emissions, it would have been done OEM.

·
Registered
2012 Pro-4x
70 Posts
Those ‘Audi r8’ coils are what I replaced the stock coils on my wife’s gti with. Worked great for about 10k miles when they started failing.

Very surprised to see that these fit on the xterra engine.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Those ‘Audi r8’ coils are what I replaced the stock coils on my wife’s gti with. Worked great for about 10k miles when they started failing.

Well that puts another damper on things, although I am not surprised - I have always thought and heard higher voltage coils last less time. I was sort of interested in this mod just because, but its likely not worth doing in the end as others have mentioned unless your really pushing your rig often.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well that's a good question. Maybe his old coils were worn out, and the new coils improved the mileage. Maybe new stock coils would have improved the mileage as well. EPA mileage is based on when the EPA tests the car once a year, so they test with new coils presumably? I am not sure if there is a long term follow up.

Of course, with closed loop control I am unsure why it would matter since the engine is going to be forced into 14.7:1 Stochiometric ratio either way.

Or possibly the hotter coils work better in real world driving, vs the standard driving EPA test track which is identical and published and the same for everyone (that is how VW was able to cheat - it sensed the test.)

Either way mine likely need changing anyway - they only have 371,000 miles on them. The Audi ones are actually cheaper - but of course I need the adapter. Denso on rock auto are $22.00 vs $33.00 for the Denso Nissan version. The NGK mentioned above are $19.00. So even with the adpaters its not much more - assuming the guy on facebook still sells them?
I swapped the coils out around 70K, so the old coils could have been very likely somewhat worn out, but highly unlikely at that low of mileage. MPG improvement is one of the common trends across with the people I've seen do the swap. However, a lot those swaps were on higher mileage motors and the improvement could be very well attributed to new coils/plugs. The best test would be to throw these on a brand-new truck and see what happens.

If you're looking for adapters, look Preformance Racing. Rico, the guy that originally sold them started to ghost a lot of people. Preformance started building them and has stock on hand.
Did you post anything when you changed yours? If not do you mind posting a picture of them installed here, so us nubes can see what this adapter looks like?
I posted about them in my build thread, but I never reported the MPG improvement in the thread. I ended up pulling them back out because one of the adapters was faulty and I didn't want to take the time to narrow down to which one.
With the Audi coils being all metal boot - is it possible to get them installed in number 1 without removing the intake manifold? If not then this is a non starter for me as well.

I will say I am intrigued however. The article I read says your going form 30,000 to 50,000 volts. That has its own problems - however it says that the metal boot dissipates heat from the plug better - which is good, less likely to seize in the head. Also it should improve cold start with hotter spark as well. Not that our rigs have any issues starting anyway, but in theory.
I didn't completely remove my mani, however I did remove all the bolts to allow me to lift it far enough up to get the front coil in there. The stock one comes out pretty easily without removing the mani, but the Audi coils won't snake in there without lifting the mani.
The first time I heard of the Audi coil swap mod was around late 2018 - early 2019.

Since this time, I will hear mention of the coil swap mod on occasion, with mixed opinions.

However, the one common detail is everyone seems to be quoting a dyno result posted on facebook from a few years past .

I couldn't find a current dyno post from a reputable shop which could prove or dispute the claims supporting the coil swap.
I've only seen two dyno results. The first was from Rico, the guy who came up with the adapters. The other was by another guy on FB that has a pretty heavily modded VQ. He initially saw a slight gain, but then was not able to replicate that gain on subsequent runs. He theorized that they don't really allow for much more gains on a motor that's already been tweaked with all the bolt ons and a good computer turn from UpRev. However, he did say his tuner thought they would be huge benefit for vehicles with forced induction.

I've read about many of the non-NGK coils failing early, but even peaking through the VAG forums when I was researching the mod, the NGKs are what many people switch to. To be specific, these coils aren't purely for the R8 and they cross-reference to many different vehicles throughout the line.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts