Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I have a couple of questions...

1- is it going to be difficult to do this alone?
2- the directions mentioned something about when i do the passengers side I have to raise the engne up approx 1". can i do this without an engine block lift thingamajig?
3- The directions also said to use the factory gaskets... is this normal procedure when replacing headders?
4- Anybody want to help???? :drunken: :blackeye:

Here they are...

·
on line
631 Posts
i can only answer number 3... yes you can use the factory gaskets as they are metal and can be reused. as for the other questions... im lost too

·
on line
3,484 Posts
1 Yes, You'll have to get up to get all the tools you need, and you won't know what you need until you get down.

2. Ewww Well, I hate to raise and engine without pulling the engine mount as you may damage the mount and then need a new one. But, an inch is not much..... ahhhh kinda touchy I have not looked, but I think if it was me, pull bolt for engine mount that side.... Jack it only as much as needed to get it in there as there are other things to worry about also.

The last step of each section during a header install is .... Wipe blood on shop rag.

MC

·
on line
240 Posts
Headers aren't that bad to install. I've done it several times myself. Just take your time with it, and make sure you have someone to run you to the auto parts store if necessary. It will take most of, if not all day to do it.

First, soak the exhaust manifold bolts the night before with liquid wrench. This will help insure you don't snap one off when removing them.

Jacking up one side of the engine is very common in header installations. YOU HAVE TO DISCONECT THE MOUNT ON EACH SIDE! A floor jack and a piece of wood (small piece of 2x4) against the oil pan is what you'll need. I'd raise one side only at a time if necessary. The passenger side according to the directions. Don't be surprised if you have to do the drivers side too.

You may even have to remove the steering shaft that goes from the firewall to the steering box. Various sensors sometimes need to be removed too to prevent damage while installing the headers.

The factory gaskets are metal and are very good. Stick with re-using them. Be carefull not to bend them or crack them. With everything removed, including the gasket, stick the header in place, start one bolt on each end of the header, and then slide the gasket in between the header and the engine. The gasket will have a spot on each end that rests on top of those bolts you started on each end that keeps them in place (keeps it from falling through).

Another pointer: after several days of driving (several heat cycles), you will need to go back and re-tighten the header bolts. All of them, even the ones on the collectors. You may have to do this a couple of times, or else you will have leaks.
JBA makes nice stuff. Before you start though, make sure the flanges (surface the mates to the engine) is nice and straight. Use a straight edge to check. If they are warped, or not flat, you will have exhaust leaks no matter what.

PS - Buy yourself a pair of Mechanix gloves. You're knuckles will thank you. Lot's of sharp stuff in there.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah the directions did say something about removing the engine mounting bolts or something... (didnt really look that deeply at the directions). But im glad i can raise it with just a jack. i was thinking that I might have to buy an engine crane or something. I will check and recheck to make sure all the parts are ship shape and I have all the tools I need.

The good news is I have a friend coming to visit this weekend and he will be able to help with the install.

I will take lots of pics and do a How-To (if I think it is up to MC's standards)

·
on line
189 Posts
how much gain with the JBA headers

·
on line
3,218 Posts
you can see gains via a dyno sheet on the JBA site.. google JBA headers frontier. . .

Oh man, I wish I hadn'ta seen those. For the $440, those look awfully nice, and I had my eye on that Stillen exhaust sale this month too.. Tough call, I've got a few duckets for mods, but I'd like to see about those 5.38s from TXR. When are you going to get crackin' on that chit? GONE is coming up soon, and you wanna' have your junk right. Right?

Lets see the install pics. :cheers:

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well all my mods would be done by now if i was at home, but i am an France right now.... I didnt do this myself like i originally planned but they will be on before i go to GONE.

·
on line
631 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
they will be on before i go to GONE.
i hope so! i want to see the hedders, and decide if it is worth purchasing and installing.

what days are you going to GONE?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
driver X said:
i hope so! i want to see the hedders, and decide if it is worth purchasing and installing.

what days are you going to GONE?
Hopefully I will be there for most of the event but the only person that I can get to go with me is my fiancee and she can only take about three or four days off of work. she still isnt sure which days she wants to take off. If she ends up not being able to go at all, then I will be there for the whole thing.... all by myself!!! :crybaby:

·
on line
551 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
If she ends up not being able to go at all, then I will be there for the whole thing.... all by myself!!! :crybaby:
Same here. Wanted to go, got ready to register, then the wife informs me that that is the last week of school and the boy has finals. No way am I leaving a teenage boy alone for a week. And the wife really wants to go also. So no GONE for us this year. Of course if you want to swing the Springs.....
Nice headers BTW

·
on line
240 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
Well all my mods would be done by now if i was at home, but i am an France right now.... I didnt do this myself like i originally planned but they will be on before i go to GONE.
Be sure to get those headers done a couple of weeks before leaving. That will give you plenty of time to chase down any potential leaks, etc before hittin the road.

·
on line
28 Posts
I applied some Permatex Ultra Copper rtv sealant to the header/cat. flanges because it leaked from there and I also just unplugged the O2 sensors instead of having to remove them. A 2' length of pipe over a breaker bar also comes in handy for those stubborn nuts.

·
on line
28 Posts
syndicate said:
Welcome to the forums dude.
Thanks, I've been lurking awhile now. You guys seem to be a little ahead of us Frontier guys as far as cool mods go.

·
on line
76 Posts
I did a header change on my 2002 maxima. It was tough b/c of room, but with how much extra room is in the xterra engine bay it should be easier. We lifted the engine out just a little by putting boards underneat the engine bay. Also use the stock nissan header gasket. But buy a new one. Its cheap and a really good gasket to use. I also ran the engine for awhile after the headers were on and had to retighten some bolts to torque spec still. Keep that in mind.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, i got them in but i didnt do it myself. I figured that I would let a professional take care of it. It has been a while, so hosestly I cant even remember what kind of gains or losses i took by installing these. I dont even remember if my truck got any louder or not. Guess that is what happens when you slap a supercharger on your truck.... every other mod becomes obsolete.... I would like to look into getting a nismo camshaft (or equivilant) installed. Do they make anything for our engines like that. A good tuner shop might be able to tweak my engine to post up some better numbers (even though i dont know what my numbers are right now). Hmmmmm, I hate haveing a litte extra money in the bank (dont tell my fiancee!!!)

·
on line
279 Posts
Say Eddo,

Do you remember the total time it took your installer to get this done? I actually have a set of headers for my X sitting here, but if I have to unbolt engine mounts and lift the engine and crap, I'm probably not going to install them. That's way too much work, especially if at inspection time they're noticed and I have to take them off anyway.

After what the headers cost, if I throw in the cost of wrap and spray materials (I like to keep under-hood heat down), and then it takes someone six hours to install....all of the sudden you're talking about $1000 for a header install. My guess is that it might be WAY past the point of diminishing returns by then.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts