Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

New Guy Here...

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  GreyDuck 
#1 ·
Hello!
Bought my xterra a few months ago, primarily used by my mother inlaw.

I'm a licensed chrysler mechanic located in ontario Canada.

Got this for a steal $2600cnd from my work. It was a trade in. Had to jump on it since it was a good deal and had to replace my 2003 Dakota that was falling apart. Knew I wouldn't find or afford a used pickup due to covid I had to settle for this. I also used to work for nissan briefly 9 years ago in Edmonton and always loved the xterra.

Has 210k kms currently. Had to replace the rad, one leaf spring assembly and fix one front speed sensor when I bought it. Im not a huge truck/suv guy but they have their uses. I've been a Honda guy for many years.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks! It's not a pro4x. It's only an off road. I want to do a mild lift and some more aggressive tires when these tires are done, probably after the winter. It's currently driven by my 67 year old mother inlaw so lifting it isn't a good idea. My wife's lease is up next summer and she wants this after.

Heading to an island near me this week with the family. I live in windsor, about 45 minutes from Detroit. Packed the X full for the trip.

#5 ·
Thanks! It's not a pro4x. It's only an off road.
View attachment 137831
Yellow's one of my favorite colors for Xs :D

Off Road is basically Pro-4x. They changed the trim level name in 2010 but the trim level is the same. The only thing you don't have is the roof lights, but the Off Road/Pro-4X trim didn't even get those until 2008 I think? Maybe 2009.

I'd also suggest replacing BOTH leaf packs, not just one. You've got one (probably very worn) old pack and one new pack. The spring rate and lift will be different on the old one compared to the new one.

#7 ·
What are some recommended lift kits? Is using a shackle to lift the rear a good option ? I'm not a big fan of using front spacers and would prefer a new strut and spring instead.
This kit says the lifted strut option is for frontiers only in the notes.

#8 ·
Welcome! Nice color.

rear shackles will soften the suspension, I have experience with that. That’s what I wanted for my new Old Man Emu leafs because they were too stiff even after 1000 miles.

best is to get new leafs. AAL on old leafs can help for a while. Shackles on old leafs should wear them out sooner.

#10 ·
Welcome Janz3n! C$2,600 is a decent price.

Your canoe has me intrigued. It appears to have a Chestnut Prospector rocker design. What brand name and model is it? Material?

Sorry for the thread hi-jack guys but us Eastern Canadians love our canoes (born and raised in Ottawa). I own a 16 foot original Chestnut Prospector early inherited from my father. These are the canoes that geo-scientists used to explore the Canadian north in the post-war period.

I have canoe-tripped in Algonquin Park (3 trips); Kipawa Forest Reserve in NW Quebec, Georgian Bay (several trips), a couple of places near Quebec City, Temagami, NE Ontario and a 10-day trip in Gwaii Haanas (Queen Charlotte) Islands. Have also canoed off the west coast of Vancouver Island. I also use the canoe to drift trout, salmon and steelhead rivers here in BC.

Reactions: Janz3n
#11 ·
Welcome Janz3n! C$2,600 is a decent price.

Your canoe has me intrigued. It appears to have a Chestnut Prospector rocker design. What brand name and model is it? Material?

Sorry for the thread hi-jack guys but us Eastern Canadians love our canoes (born and raised in Ottawa). I own a 16 foot original Chestnut Prospector early inherited from my father. These are the canoes that geo-scientists used to explore the Canadian north in the post-war period.

I have canoe-tripped in Algonquin Park (3 trips); Kipawa Forest Reserve in NW Quebec, Georgian Bay (several trips), a couple of places near Quebec City, Temagami, NE Ontario and a 10-day trip in Gwaii Haanas (Queen Charlotte) Islands. Have also canoed off the west coast of Vancouver Island. I also use the canoe to drift trout, salmon and steelhead rivers here in BC.
I'm not sure what brand it is. I borrowed it from a friend for my trip. I wanted to buy one but it's hard to do at this time. I'm kind of glad I borrowed one because it has taught me that I really don't like to canoe. Lol. My wife and I coukdnt keep it straight.

#14 ·
Nova Craft Canoes are based just outside of London, Ontario, where I lived and attended UWO 74/75.

Nice looking canoes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.