Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2014 Pro-4X with right at 100k. Leather package. Great shape overall. Well maintained. I've had too many cars to count, most recently being a Range Rover Evoque, which I traded in on this. Decided to take advantage of the sky high trade in values and use my equity to get out of a payment. Aside from that, I've had a long list of performance cars (Focus RS, Mustang Cobra, Camaro 1LE, BMW M3, and a bunch of others). Getting older with kids means getting a vehicle that we can use for some family activities.

I'll be doing some minimal mods to this (1" lift all around probably) along with some heavier duty suspension (maybe Bilstein 6112's and 5160's if I can find them, otherwise 5100's). I'd like to tackle some of the backcountry discovery routes eventually, so I don't think huge lifts and monster tires are needed. I'm not the rock crawler type.

Just got this a week ago. The RF nav head unit was having some touch screen issues, so it's currently at the dealer to get that fixed as well as a driver side rear axle seal I noticed that looked a bit seepy. Good thing the dealer is covering both.

Glad to be back into a vehicle that has an active forum, rather than just FB groups. Those can be annoying, no offense to any of you that use them regularly.

Just a couple dealer photos. My garage doesn't have the best lighting for pictures.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
1,347 Posts
Looks very nice.
The RF head units are very well known to have issues no matter what.
Be sure to take the running boards and mud flaps off before going on anything more than a dirt road.
I would also suggest looking into the read diff breather mod since you already have a leaking axle seal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks very nice.
The RF head units are very well known to have issues no matter what.
Be sure to take the running boards and mud flaps off before going on anything more than a dirt road.
I would also suggest looking into the read diff breather mod since you already have a leaking axle seal.
Good call on the diff breather mod. I'll get that on order first thing.

And yeah the RF units seem to be fairly unreliable. I'm awaiting word from the dealer. They told me the options would be to send it off for repair (I'm not going to do that because I'm not going to be without a radio for weeks), order a replacement (who knows how long that will take to fulfill) or send it off to a specialty shop for an aftermarket unit install (this is probably my first choice).

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Just got this a week ago. The RF nav head unit was having some touch screen issues, so it's currently at the dealer to get that fixed as well as a driver side rear axle seal I noticed that looked a bit seepy. Good thing the dealer is covering both.
Bet they replace the whole rear axle assembly. IMHO... if that is what they want to do say "No" and find a good mechanic to replace just the seal.

BTW... Welcome, and nice looking rig.

·
Registered
2005 Xterra 4wd 6MT 1.5" lift Heftyfab skids,Shrockworks diff guard,Hardcoreoffroad sliders
501 Posts
Nice ride and welcome 1-2 inches of lift and some decent 285 m/t tires and you should be set for what you want to do with it out there in Ks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bet they replace the whole rear axle assembly. IMHO... if that is what they want to do say "No" and find a good mechanic to replace just the seal.

BTW... Welcome, and nice looking rig.
Curious to know why you say that. I'm not out of pocket any money even if they choose to replace the entire axle assembly, whereas I would be paying out of pocket to a mechanic to replace the seal. Is there a detriment to this that I'm not aware of?

And thanks!

Welcome in...nice looking X
Thanks! Glad there's an active web forum community for the X.

Nice ride and welcome 1-2 inches of lift and some decent 285 m/t tires and you should be set for what you want to do with it out there in Ks.
Thanks! Realistically, unless I hit one of two (I think) off road parks here, 1-2 inches of lift and 285 MT's is overkill for Kansas. But yes, I'm thinking that will be plenty. I'm at the point where I've gone into analysis paralysis on my lift options. More research needed!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congrats! I just got a 15 S myself this past weekend with 91k. I did the same as you, and took advantage of the high trade-in values. I look forward to seeing what you do with the suspension. When my current tires are done I would like to do a 1" lift to fit slightly bigger tires. Not sure if I am going to have the stock rims painted black or buy a set of American Racing rims or something similar.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I'm not in favor of replacing parts that do not need to be replaced.
huh.. even at dealer cost? I mean i get what your saying, dont just throw parts at something, but.. hey ill take a free new axle if the dealer doesnt feel like swapping the seals...

in this example your saying you'd rather pay a shop to change the seals as opposed to let the dealer swap the axle for free? sorry, doesnt add up to me.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
1,347 Posts
I think you might be talking about two different things?
The dealer will not replace the entire rear axle over a leaking seal. They will replace the axle shaft assembly that includes the one side axle with bearing and seal already installed since most dealers don't have the high capacity presses to remove and install the bearing retainer.

·
Registered
2005 Xterra 4wd 6MT 1.5" lift Heftyfab skids,Shrockworks diff guard,Hardcoreoffroad sliders
501 Posts
Curious to know why you say that. I'm not out of pocket any money even if they choose to replace the entire axle assembly, whereas I would be paying out of pocket to a mechanic to replace the seal. Is there a detriment to this that I'm not aware of?

And thanks!

Thanks! Glad there's an active web forum community for the X.

Thanks! Realistically, unless I hit one of two (I think) off road parks here, 1-2 inches of lift and 285 MT's is overkill for Kansas. But yes, I'm thinking that will be plenty. I'm at the point where I've gone into analysis paralysis on my lift options. More research needed!

I am thinking of some of the mud I have seen on minimum maintenance roads getting to a few fishing spots. My wife is from Ks I lived out there for 12 years.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nice find. In my limited experience, I don't think you need much if any lift for the majority of the BDR - at least here in Colorado, a stock Pro4X with good tires (and remove those running boards) should be fine. I would look into the rear leafs though, they become a "wear item" at around 100k - my first pair snapped at 106k.

And if you find a fix for the touchscreen that lasts, let us all know. In mine the touch screen works fine, but you never, ever, touch the volume knob - if you do you go into the no volume penalty box until the truck decides it's over. Could be 10 minutes, could be 3 days, the truck gets to decide. Otherwise the touchscreen works great!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
The dealer will not replace the entire rear axle over a leaking seal. They will replace the axle shaft assembly that includes the one side axle with bearing and seal already installed since most dealers don't have the high capacity presses to remove and install the bearing retainer.
You're probably right. LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Understand. However, I still don't quite understand why I shouldn't let them replace a whole driver side axle assembly as opposed to paying out of pocket for just the seal... Either way, the part is on backorder (they said seal, not axle, so we'll see).

I am thinking of some of the mud I have seen on minimum maintenance roads getting to a few fishing spots. My wife is from Ks I lived out there for 12 years.
Most minimum maintenance roads can be handled with anything with AWD and decent tread. Mud is the only concern, not washouts and off camber sections (that I've seen around me).

Nice find. In my limited experience, I don't think you need much if any lift for the majority of the BDR - at least here in Colorado, a stock Pro4X with good tires (and remove those running boards) should be fine. I would look into the rear leafs though, they become a "wear item" at around 100k - my first pair snapped at 106k.

And if you find a fix for the touchscreen that lasts, let us all know. In mine the touch screen works fine, but you never, ever, touch the volume knob - if you do you go into the no volume penalty box until the truck decides it's over. Could be 10 minutes, could be 3 days, the truck gets to decide. Otherwise the touchscreen works great!
Well, according the carfax, the radio was replaced in this one when the X had less than 1,000 miles. So it's on it's second unit already. Aside from the intermittent touch screen issue, it worked just fine, albeit dated. I'm wondering if the new replacement they're ordering (at a cost of $1740!!! Glad I wrote that in the purchase agreement) has had anything at all updated, even if it's just software. Good news is that it will only take them 2 days to get it, no long backorder.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Most minimum maintenance roads can be handled with anything with AWD and decent tread. Mud is the only concern, not washouts and off camber sections (that I've seen around me).

As long as they are dry several of the ones I seen would bury almost any vehicle without at least all terrains and 4wd when they are wet. Lifting does help a bit if you do plan on getting in the mud with it because once you have it bellied out in the mud it is hell to get moving at all. I have had mine in mud that deep once and barely got out without assistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts