Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

new dash noise problem...hopefully someone can help!!

7K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Bueller44 
I have that exact same noise coming from behind the dash as well. It's definitely getting worse - hear it everytime you switch back and forth from defrost or when you turn on the ignition with the selector on defrost. Of course, my X is out of the warranty period - do you know specifically the name of the part and how much it costs to replace? Or is there a simple fix I could do? It seems like I remember seeing another thread about it, has something to do with the gears starting to slip? This is all I could find in the search though. Any help would be great, its really starting to drive me nuts!

Well I tried bending the bracket but I don't think that was it - still makes the noise when I switch to and from defrost. I'm almost positive its the actuator motor that someone else had mentioned. Don't hear it on bumpy roads or anything, just when you switch to or from defrost - kind of a ratcheting sound as the flap moves back and forth. So how much is this actuator motor, and would it possible to install myself? What do you guys think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.