Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

new dash noise problem...hopefully someone can help!!

7K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Bueller44 
#1 ·
so, i still can't get the rattle behind the dash fixed (or found for that matter), i've tried all the stuff listed here, and i think this new problem might be related.

so, the weathers been nice so i've been running w/o any of the hvac on. the other day, when i started up (and almost every time since) i get this cycling noise behind the dash (kinda between the radio and the speedo). it sounds like there are vents moving and closing and whatever. i heard that lots of cars do this, when they turn off, the vents open to help with fogging and if thats the case, that's probably what this is......but it's pretty loud, well, really noticeable anyway. the best way describe it is that it sounds like if there's one of those wheels that has a bar attached to it in a groove and it's not sliding in that groove very smoothly AT ALL while its rotating, almost shuddering. is this actually what is going on back there in the hvac pack and maybe something needs to be lubed?

this might relate to my rattle problem cause it sounds like its coming from this area and it sounds like a cable just barely resting on plastic and vibrating, from that area.

the second problem that started yesterday is in the same area. and its NOT the gurgling sound, i have that too. at first is kinda sounds like that but it is clearly something mechanical going on back there. so this one sounds like the same kind of "cycling" but its definitely not the same. when i first heard it i was stopped kind of on the side of the road on an incline so i thought it might be the motion sensor or something cause i was at an angle. so i moved to a flat area and it's still happening. the hvac on/off, any vent position/combination doesn't seem to affect it at all. foot on the break, nothing. seems to happen every 2-3 minutes or so.

since its CONVENIENTLY just out of warranty, i don't feel like getting bent over at the dealership for them to throw "ideas" at it.........like my rear area rattle was: rocks on the fuel tank, loose wheel well trim, totally new back door.....all of which were somehow my fault and wouldn't be covered under warranty..................turns out it was a loose roof-rack....!!!

hopefully someone here knows what's going on back there behind the dash and can shed some light.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #2 ·
got more news. i started playing with things and when i switched it over to the defrost, the gremlin reared it's ugly head. all in all it was getting worse, so i was playing with all the different vent locations and it was definitely a door motor not working properly. when i went to the defrost, it went haywire, like a cartoon sliding door with someone in the way, er-er-er-er-er.

so, disgusted, i go to the dealer. show him and he says it's one of the actuator motors that shifts where the air goes. i then express my further growing displeasure with my Nissan product and all the convenient post-warranty problems i am having (you don't wanna know about the repeatedly-missed-blown-shock until-after-warranty but-you need a brake job with 70% of the pads left debacle). he says they aren't cheap but he'll see if, like the shock, he can get Nissan to pay for some of it.

pretty nice of him, again but just in case, is this something i might be able to do myself ? not sure how hard it is to get into that unit.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
anything new on this? have you gotten anywhere?

turns out the guy i was working with is no longer there, that's a surprise!!

so, since it's conveniently out of warranty... they want $98 dollars just to figure out what the problem is!!! on top of that, if they have to take the dash apart, i'm looking at around $800 FREAKIN DOLLARS and that's not even fixed, that's him ballparking!!!! UNREAL!!

while i am quite sure that they are gonna stick it in and break it off on this one, anyone have any idea if this is something i might be able to correct myself. maybe this motor or the guides for the little doors are just dirty or something??

maybe i can find an independent shop that won't screw me so bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.