Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Xterra Pro-4X - Lava Red
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sharing a status...

Got my '11 Xterra Pro-4X about 15 months ago, it needed tires. I hadn't been off road in years so didn't think I needed AT tires. Put some 265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer SRX (all season, from Discount Tire) tires on it. The tires were great - quiet and smooth, plenty of traction under all dry/wet paved road conditions I encountered. Well, ~6,000 miles later and things have changed. On dirt roads or similar (going to the dump), I could tell they were lacking in the traction department. I wanted to do more dirt road/off road, there is a definit possibility there could be some mud on some of the roads.

Therefore, I spent hours researching tires on this site, on Tirerack, on Discount Tire, etc.) Tire brands, tire styles (AS, AT, MT), tires sizes (265, 285, 33's, 16", 17", 18"), etc. Couldn't find any aftermarket wheels that grabbed my attention. Didn't want to do a lift (its already plenty tall for my needs), didn't want heavier tires, didn't want a big impact on MPG. (Most of my driving is still on pavement around town and on the highway.) I know, lots of you want bigger tires, bigger wheels, bigger... After all that, I decided not to. Thus I landed on some 265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S tires (from Discount Tire).

Now, I'll admit, I've only driven about 100 miles on them, but they seem good. Quiet and smooth, no issue up to 80 MPH - not sure I can tell any difference in ride/noise between them and the AS I took off. Seem to have plenty of traction on dry and wet pavement, and are definitely better on dirt. Now I'm ready(er) to travel some back roads and forest roads, and maybe some muddy roads.

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered - From Westminster, CA, USA
154 Posts
I’ve had them for about 35k miles and they’ve been decent all around. Two of them have an indentation in the sidewall where maybe a belt? Inside broke from hitting an obstacle too hard, but that was a while back and haven’t noticed an issue with it.
They’re quiet and decent off-road but next time I’ll try something a little heftier I think. Something stronger

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
685 Posts
I’ve had them for about 35k miles and they’ve been decent all around. Two of them have an indentation in the sidewall where maybe a belt? Inside broke from hitting an obstacle too hard, but that was a while back and haven’t noticed an issue with it.
They’re quiet and decent off-road but next time I’ll try something a little heftier I think. Something stronger
The indent isn’t a big deal and common on a lot of tires.

These a a good all around tire but as you said if you are in an environment that’s hard on sidewalls there are definitely stronger options.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True, they may not be the best, but they also aren't the worst or the most expensive or the heaviest. Drove in some mud today, and were definitely better than the all seasons I took off.

The reality is that there is no 'best' tire. Every tire is a compromise. Much depends on what you want to do, how much you want to spend, what your priorities are, etc. People want different things. Rock climbing, highway cruiser, track car, dry, wet, snow, ice - different brands, different sizes, different tread designs, different looks. I wanted something that would be good in the conditions I expect to see. You want smooth and quiet - then don't go with 35" mud terrain tires, etc.

That is the nice thing, there are different tires for different needs/wants.

Enjoy yours!

·
Registered
2010 Xterra S
98 Posts
The reality is that there is no 'best' tire. Every tire is a compromise. Much depends on what you want to do, how much you want to spend, what your priorities are, etc. People want different things. Rock climbing, highway cruiser, track car, dry, wet, snow, ice - different brands, different sizes, different tread designs, different looks.
That's a fundamental truth! If folks asking for tire recommendations would include a bit of information on how they use their Xterra they'd get a lot more useful input

·
Registered - From Westminster, CA, USA
154 Posts
Didn't know that about the side wall dents, that they are somewhat common.

And I agree, they are a solid all around tire. Hard to find a better tire in this weight/category.
When I need new tires (soon), If I don't get a stronger heavier tire, it'll be another set of cooper's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And I agree, they are a solid all around tire. Hard to find a better tire in this weight/category.
When I need new tires (soon), If I don't get a stronger heavier tire, it'll be another set of cooper's.
Look at the equivalent Discover LT in Load C or E, or even LTX - they should be stronger.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am a few hundred miles into mine and I posted on here my purchase and story. I have had some slippery ice and snow and think they are great so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts