Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I traded in my 2011 Subaru STI for a Lava Red 2013 PRO-4X fully loaded with leather and auto(for the wife). We needed more room for our third dog and sometimes fourth as we are a foster home for the Rocky Mountain Lab Rescue. I also needed something to tow my 2008 Honda CRF450X on a 5x8 utility trailer better than our current dog/tow vehicle, 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon Auto. I have a long history of owning different cars, but it started with a 1992 Nissan Hardbody Pickup, then 4 S13's (240sx) and a SR swapped S14 (240sx), thus the name 240addiction. I had a couple other Subarus and a DSM in the meantime and finally got my dream car, a basically new 2011 STI, I LOVED this car but I could not mod it as it was still under warranty and I did not want to waste that. Part of the deal with trading in the STI was to get a 1976 B210 and do an SR swap on it. I already have the car and swap lined up I just need to let my friend know. I have always wanted a more rugged off road capable vehicle and a Heep was off the table (personal hatred) so I arrived at an X. I had to get the PRO-4X because I think in the future that will hold resale slightly more than not and a factory locker is never a bad thing to have. Here is a picture:

The first thing I needed to do was get the front windows tinted to match the rears and clear bra on the hood, lights, A pillars, roof and rockers to help save the paint a little as I will be on dirt roads to go riding up at Rampart Range. Then I got the factory hitch and wiring installed for the Tekonsha P3 brake controller for the the trailer. The wife wants some side steps to make it easier to get in and out, but I have read bad things about the factory side steps and off roading. Being a local to Colorado and Hefty Fab only being an hour away. What does everyone think about Hefty Fab sliders for door ding protection and the step? Is it low enough to provide the step my wife needs? Do they provide sufficient protection for light off roading? I also miss my HID headlights on the STI so I will probably do another retrofit on this car. I did one previously on my WRX, but the one on the forum is far simpler. Any other mods I need to be considering right away?

Thanks

Paul

·
on line
4,198 Posts
Welcome from Longmont! :)
Very nice opening post too. It sounds like your future ownership plan is well thought out also. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Welcome from Leadville!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What part of town funny we just got approved to be foster for Rocky Mountain labs
Highlands Ranch. My wife and I did your home visit. I recognize the front of your house from your picture. I asked about your X and what you thought. :icon_smile:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
We have hefty sliders on my wifes x and they are great for steps and protection. Let me know if you need someone to tag along to go riding, i hit up rampart often!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I plan on riding Dakan road Sunday morning. My dad and I ride every Sunday all summer from Dakan road and stay to the south end of Rampart. We usually ride very early to avoid the crazies and to still have the majority of our Sunday left for the honey do's. Just shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Welcome from Englewood, soon to be Littleton! I am new to the scene as well. been an owner for about 5 months now. I too am in the market for some sliders and am tossed up on the Hefty's or Custom made.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hefty sliders are great as step rails and protection for serious (not just light) off-roading. I'm in Castle Rock and work in Englewood, so if you want to see them on another Red X, just PM me and we can rendezvous. Welcome to the "X" world!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any opinions you can offer from your significant others? What do they say about the step? My concern is that it is not really as low as the normal side steps and wont provide my wife with a low enough step.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have 2" of lift and 33's. My wife would complain about the entry/exit effort required whether my X used sliders or those factory step rails. Personally, I prefer the sliders, and those factory step rails won't hold up if you ever need them to protect the rocker panels.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts