Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started getting some slippage and decided the clutch is going.. Its got 60k on it and while I've read it isn't crazy to have to replace at that point, I do, at least in part, blame a stupid thing I did a couple years ago that burnt the clutch up really bad...

Anyway, I talked with a shop and plan to bring it in on the 24th. But I've been doing a lot of research and I'm trying to weigh my options on parts and what to replace.
For instance, apparently the X has a dual mass flywheel. From my limited research, I've heard it is smart to replace these at the same time as a clutch. I found on rockauto a LUK DMF098 replacement for $250 which seems decent. I also heard that the EXEDY NSK1006 clutch is a good one.

I'm seriously considering buying those two things as the replacements, but I wanted to get some feedback on them and if anyone has had any experience with those.

Lastly, I saw some mentions of single mass flywheels. Now I don't know what part would work in the X but the upsides seem rather good and the only 1-2 downsides don't really sound like downsides. Anyone here switch to a single mass flywheel? If so what part and what're your thoughts on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realized just now I forgot to say what the mechanic quoted me. With parts and labor $1264. I didn't ask the breakdown, so I need to call him and see so I can figure out the price difference of me ordering parts...

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
336 Posts
Exedy makes the OEM Nissan Xterra clutch kit iirc. I am going with Luk because I've had much better luck with their products over the years but it's an oem equivalent. I have 120k on my clutch with a lot of abuse so I figured why spend extra when OEM spec was good enough for this long. The parts alone are $500 (clutch and dual mass flywheel). You must replace the dm flywheel with a new clutch. Not actually able to resurface them.

That said, I prefer a single mass flywheel to dual mass. I really liked the difference in my mazdaspeed but that car was so over the top with NVH that the clutch was not noticeable. I bet the chatter will be a lot more noticeable in the X and daily driving will be worse. Also the price just isn't worth it. I doubt I'll get another 120k out of the X but who knows.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
This is the combo I put in my car. Exedy is OEM & LUK is an OE manufacturer & they have worked awesomely for 35k mi so far. Make sure you follow the clutch break in procedure & have your mech replace the rear main seal while he is in there (5 extra mins, $15 seal, great insurance, I went OE). That is crazy cheap for labor, most want alot more for this job (& it is a pain).

For flywheels, Dual Mass can be resurfaced (I know a shop north of atlanta that does it), but arguably, should not be (& most shops either don't have the equipment or wouldn't try given the liability), &, given the very reasonable cost of a quality replacement, why would you?

SMF vs DMF, DMF all day for your daily driver. SMF's are great for high performance applications (track cars, rock crawlers, etc.) and the engine should spin up (& lose rpm) noticeably quicker. For daily use the NVH is usually more than I care to deal with. I am looking at buying a Flatender Willys, I don't want my Xterra to drive like a Willys.

There are plenty of good reasons to ignore that advice & get an SMF anyway, but I strongly suggest you listen to videos & test drive a car (or 3, whatever) with an SMF to see if you can live with it day to day. It will almost always increase NVH by nature of its design (the whole point of a dual mass is to get rid of the increased NVH & smooth your takeoffs).

I am also not sure how an SMF will effect resale? May not be an issue for you but something to think about (you to potential buyer: "nothing is wrong with it, the light diesel clattering sound comes from putting on a performance-oriented single mass flywheel instead of OE...").

Do a search on this site for JWT, they seem to be most recommended for this & have a trick replaceable friction surface which makes resurfacing a moot point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exedy makes the OEM Nissan Xterra clutch kit iirc. I am going with Luk because I've had much better luck with their products over the years but it's an oem equivalent. I have 120k on my clutch with a lot of abuse so I figured why spend extra when OEM spec was good enough for this long. The parts alone are $500 (clutch and dual mass flywheel). You must replace the dm flywheel with a new clutch. Not actually able to resurface them.

That said, I prefer a single mass flywheel to dual mass. I really liked the difference in my mazdaspeed but that car was so over the top with NVH that the clutch was not noticeable. I bet the chatter will be a lot more noticeable in the X and daily driving will be worse. Also the price just isn't worth it. I doubt I'll get another 120k out of the X but who knows.
Thanks for the advice. The LUK is only $7 more, so probably worth it. What does NVH mean?

This is the combo I put in my car. Exedy is OEM & LUK is an OE manufacturer & they have worked awesomely for 35k mi so far. Make sure you follow the clutch break in procedure & have your mech replace the rear main seal while he is in there (5 extra mins, $15 seal, great insurance, I went OE). That is crazy cheap for labor, most want alot more for this job (& it is a pain).

For flywheels, Dual Mass can be resurfaced (I know a shop north of atlanta that does it), but arguably, should not be (& most shops either don't have the equipment or wouldn't try given the liability), &, given the very reasonable cost of a quality replacement, why would you?

SMF vs DMF, DMF all day for your daily driver. SMF's are great for high performance applications (track cars, rock crawlers, etc.) and the engine should spin up (& lose rpm) noticeably quicker. For daily use the NVH is usually more than I care to deal with. I am looking at buying a Flatender Willys, I don't want my Xterra to drive like a Willys.

There are plenty of good reasons to ignore that advice & get an SMF anyway, but I strongly suggest you listen to videos & test drive a car (or 3, whatever) with an SMF to see if you can live with it day to day. It will almost always increase NVH by nature of its design (the whole point of a dual mass is to get rid of the increased NVH & smooth your takeoffs).

I am also not sure how an SMF will effect resale? May not be an issue for you but something to think about (you to potential buyer: "nothing is wrong with it, the light diesel clattering sound comes from putting on a performance-oriented single mass flywheel instead of OE...").

Do a search on this site for JWT, they seem to be most recommended for this & have a trick replaceable friction surface which makes resurfacing a moot point.
Rear main seal. Got it, I'll ask about that.
So my usage of the X has gone down substantially. Probably putting only a tank worth of miles on it a month. My main uses are hauling a trailer (garbage, building materials, furniture, wood, pigs, etc), driving 100 miles on the freeway to get chicken feed (the biggest mileage adder, but only once every 6 weeks), and it acts as a backup vehicle for any day to day uses. Oh and of course, joy rides in my field and mudding in the winter.

Given that, I'm not sure the downsides of a SMF are that big of a deal. Still, I'll do some more research and watch a video on it.

I have no plans to sell the X, unless life goes wrong and I'm forced to for some reason. I really like it and want to keep it till fixing it is more expensive than buying a new truck/suv.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Second the request on definition of "NVH". It's been years since I've replaced a clutch on a car but I'd guess the clutch kits come with new throwout bearing and pilot bearing but make sure and replace those as well. So list of parts being replaced during an Xterra 'Clutch job' would be:

Flywheel
Clutch disk
Throwout bearing
Pilot bearing
Rear Main seal

Would the above be correct? I ask because I have a P4X 6MT and though my clutch is fine at 59K it'll have to be done at some point.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
336 Posts
NVH stands for Noise, Vibration, Harshness. It is how uncomfortable the vehicle is. OEMs do everything they can to reduce this, usually at the expense of performance.

My Mazdaspeed had very stiff aftermarket motor mounts, big turbo, straight-piped, coilovers, and ran on E85 and meth. You could not hear the chatter from the single mass flywheel over the vibes inside the car from the motor mounts. You could barely hear the exhaust until a nice after fire (fire ball). Rear view mirror was useless from the vibrations.

In an Xterra used for daily driving, the chatter (diesel engine sound mentioned by SimpleX) may be too much for some. Plus the drive-ability. Instead of the two flywheels rotating to help increase the smoothness of takeoffs you will have to control it better. I bogged the X all the time after driving my other cars since they are all single mass and I get used to accounting for that but the X is so much easier to drive daily once used to it again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got around to calling the mechanic. He wasn't going to replace the flywheel and if he did he wants to charge $900 for a powertorque. I asked about bringing my own parts in and he said thats fine, but labor goes to $900 and he won't warranty the parts/work.

Given that, I'm seriously considering ordering the JWT parts from 4x4parts.com but I'm not sure if I need to order anything extra. I have:

High Performance Clutch

(DTJTNC000FTX)

High Performance Flywheel

(DTJTNF000)

and a throwout bearing.

Alternatively, I can order from rockauto and pay ~$450 for OEMish parts.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
336 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts