Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on line
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what people thought about these brush guards. Some people save they hurt the car more with then without. I'd be wanting want for the looks, place to mount lights and grill and front bumper protection.
-thanks

·
on line
2,938 Posts
If you plan to go off road with your vehicle a brush guard is pretty much useless. If you are going for looks then go for it.

A brush guard will cause more damage in a crash and does not off any true protection.

Other options of course include a shrock front bumper.

·
on line
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought an x for off roadind and a realatively nice daily driver, so it seems like it's a waste. I want my truck to look good but what can ya do. This conferms what others have told me as well.
Thanks for your help

·
on line
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as the front bumper, i don't know if i need that/want that, because then i'd have to get new shocks and all that extra cost. Maybe I'll just add lights to the roof rack.
thanks again...

·
on line
2,938 Posts
You can purchase a beefy stock replace front skid from shrockworks. That will add radiator protection.

·
on line
623 Posts
weekend warrior said:
I was wondering what people thought about these brush guards. Some people save they hurt the car more with then without. I'd be wanting want for the looks, place to mount lights and grill and front bumper protection.
-thanks
i bought mine for looks and mounted the lights on it. i likez it

________
HEADSHOP

·
on line
3,272 Posts
I have done off roading with a grille guard before. Unless you are going to do steep climbs or some rock crawling, the grille doesnt kill your approach angle, it just hinders it a little.

I personally am saving for a shrock but that is because my plastic stock bumper has a hole or two from the rocks I have encountered on the trail and not even a grille guard would have prevented that.

Check out this post though:
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4439

If I were to get a grille guard I would totally do what this guy did. I like his set up.

·
on line
612 Posts
I just can't justify spending that much on something that offers little to no protection. It sure does look good though.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Well if you don't plan on doing some moderate off roading with it, the brush guard is a rather cheap and easy way of mounting lights to your vehicle. Guards go for about 200 to 300 and the wiring couldnt be easier since you are all ready in front of the firewall and close to the battery, not a lot of cable to run.

For sand or dirt trails, I think it is a pretty decent buy. But you're right in the sense that it does not offer a lot of protection.

·
on line
384 Posts
juntao said:
Is that just pixalation in the picture or did you Herculine your front bumper?

·
on line
27 Posts
I just installed the same grill guard as juntao above.

I did it mostly for looks, as I will likely not be doing a whole lot of real off-roading like many of the people on this board do.

I can tell you from experience that I owned a different vehicle in the past with a similar guard and was involved in a "minor" front-end accident. The car that I hit was totally crushed. My front end suffered a few minor scratches on the guard and that was it.

The guard I had on that truck was mounted a little differently and I will admit that if I was going 40 MPH it might have been a different story... but isn't that what insurance is for?

As far as losing your front tow hook, I forgot to put mine back on and it was late at night when I did my install, so I still don't have it on... but the instructions simply say that if you want to keep your factory hook, just use the original bolts that it was mounted with rather the ones they sent with the guard as they need to be an inch or so longer.

·
on line
400 Posts
Here in nyc a grill guard is not only for the rugged look but also for the slight protection against the amazing parking jobs people pull off.. bump bump bump bump bumper all scratched and damaged.. grill guard somewhat stops those minor bumps and scratches.. soon will be ordering the rear guard

·
on line
3,272 Posts
NyCXterra said:
Here in nyc a grill guard is not only for the rugged look but also for the slight protection against the amazing parking jobs people pull off.. bump bump bump bump bumper all scratched and damaged.. grill guard somewhat stops those minor bumps and scratches.. soon will be ordering the rear guard
So my neighbor is from New York eh? That bastard bumps any car to get in and out of parking. Worst part is his ride is a piece of crap and everyone else's isnt!

Got any good New York verbage I can spit at him so he knows I'm on to him?

·
on line
612 Posts
I could see having one if shrockworks didn't exist. I guess the added weight is the only downside to those. How much does the standard brush/grill guard weigh in at anyway? 20 lbs?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts