Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally! I bought all of the parts back in October, and since then I have been waiting on Pro Comp to get their ass in gear and ship my 7089s...notice however, that these are not 7089s. More on that later.

First I installed PRG 3" coil spacers for the front suspension lift. The PRG spacers really are top notch, and Greg is a very cool guy to do business with. I had trouble getting the spindle to separate from the ball joint; I read the instrustions, and they note to hit the ball "cup" in a front to rear direction. I thought, "nah, that's gotta be wrong" so I hit upward on the control arm for about 30 minutes before calling PRG. Greg answered that call himself, and said that I was definetly hitting the wrong direction. After trying it his way, it took 1 hit, literally. These were a very easy install if you are the type who follows directions. Personally, I'm an *******. If anyone needs, I took pictures during this install.

Next I installed 2.5" lift single leaf add-a-leafs for the rear suspension lift. AC has yet to let me down in either shipping or customer service, but others have reported trouble with them. These did not come with any instructions at all, but AALs are pretty straight forward, albeit a pain in the ass. I think that if I had a helper these would have been easier, but even still I had them on in about 2.5 hours at night, using task lights. Hindsight being 20-20, I should have ordered the deavers that PRG sells, but this isn't my wheeling rig. I also have some install pictures of these if anyone needs any.

Last I installed the AC 3" body lift. I really had intended to let a shop install my body lift, but the closest shop quoted me $475 labor. For that kind of coin I can do it myself. The kit did include 4 pages of 85 step by step instructions, but they left a lot to be desired. The reference near 60 installation pictures, but my instructions did not include any pictures. Seemed like a bad joke each time I read "refer to illustration ##". Despite the lack of pictures, or a helper, I installed this lift over a Saturday and Sunday. The worst part was lowering the radiator. I highly recommend two people tackling this install. I would jack the truck a little, then walk all around it checking to make sure nothing was snagging, then lift some more. PITA. There is also some cutting and grinding that has to be done to bumper brackets. I'm a dick, so I didn't take any pictures of this install (and I really needed to finish it up by Sunday night).

Finally, I bolted on a set of new wheels and rubber. I originally purchased Pro Comp 7089s, but found out after ordering that they were on national backorder. I waited over three months for them to ship from overseas (probably China). When I finally got word that they had shipped, I asked for a tracking number. One could not be provided right away. Another call a day later and I find out that they LOST my wheels. F&CK ME! I cancelled the order and planned to pick up some adapters and some off the shelf Cragar rims from Summit. I lucked out though when I found a set I like even better on eBay, of all places. I bought a set of American Racing Fuel 8s (series 321). These are 17x9 with a 4.5 inch backspace and they fit (barely) with no spacers. I might be able to fit a folded $20 between the wheel and the caliper, but there is NO rubbing. The wheels are wrapped in Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/r17. I do have some rubbing when flexed at full lock, but I haven't done the melt mod yet.

So, enough yapping, here are a few before and after shots. Pardon the mess, I had just finished today.

Before

After

I'm pleased overall...it does ride stiffer, and the steering feels a lot different. I still have to get it aligned tomorrow, but for the most part I'm inished up for a while.

·
on line
671 Posts
That is SWEET!

·
on line
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 3" body lift ran just over $300. The install was going to cost much more than the parts, so I decided to give it a go on my own.

Thanks for the compliments!

·
on line
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be entirely honest, I'm not the guy to ask...I do anticipate buying a Shrock rear bumper in the next few months, but I don't know if it will simply bolt on with the BL or not. If not, I'll fab up my own brackets. I can say that the bumper brackets on many BL kits are cheesy...these were not. The included bumper brackets were very heavy 3/16" steel plates, rather than bar stock. I don't think the rear Shrock would be any trouble, but I'm just not certain how the front Shrock bumper differs in mounting than the stock one.

·
on line
2,573 Posts
I know Jim makes BL Sliders. You just have to ask when placing the order

I'm pretty sure Jim can do the same for the front and rear bumper. But he would be the one to ask as to what he would recommend.

·
on line
4,919 Posts
Looks good, man!

I called Jim and spoke to him on this subject; I was contemplating getting the 3" AC body lift. His bumpers will work with a 2" BL the way they are, but he recommends not going any higher as it puts too much stress on the frame. Best thing you can do w/the Shrockworks bumpers is to put them up the 2" and make something to fill the gaps. I also spoke to AC and they don't have any plans to make a 2" BL. There is someone on here that did a custom 2", but it ain't cheap (bigboyindiego did it, I believe).

·
on line
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good info XVTer...I think that if I were to go with the 2" BL rear bumper, that I could come up with something to fill the gap. It might not even be very noticable if I added a swing away tire carrier. 295/70/17s don't fit in the spare tire area.

In regards to the front, I think I'll hold out for a while...I'd really like a tube bumper up front.

·
on line
564 Posts
Very nice dude!

Rob

·
on line
1,054 Posts
looks pretty clean, this is just me personally but it almost looks like to much gap from tires to fender, needs a bigger tire or something, lol.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
Good looking rig. Looks like night and day when comparing to the stock height.

If AC is still sending out their own instructions instead of the PA one, I know what you mean by frustrating. Some of us got together to help out a friend and install a 3" on his GenI and it was a pain with out pictures...step by step but pictures would help.

As for those wanting a 2" BL, it can be done for a fair price. Search over in the DYI section on ClubFrontier.org and there is a long thread about it.

Again, nice truck!

·
on line
342 Posts
Nice truck man I really like it alot good job

1 - 19 of 19 Posts