Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
We are having some air intake issues in my 2012 Nissan Xterra (she hiccups when it snows only). I have done some research and everyone says it is the air filter not sitting right. My husband and I checked it out today and are now talking about just upgrading the air intake system all together. Any advice on systems that are more efficient but can still handle the adventuring we do with the Xterra?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Nissan did their homework when they designed the intake for the Xterra.
For starters they used the same flat panel air filter in our intake as they do in the 300+ hp 5.6 V8 engine from a similar model year Titan.

Obviously, this air filter is a bit overkill for our engines needs, but it's not a restriction .
When comparing dyno results most performance cai will perform within a few hp of that of our factory intake. We dont get a huge 15-25hp jump in performance that you might see in other vehicles.

With this being said, here is a good video of a cai intake shootout with a Nissan 4.0 engine.
Ps: If my memory is correct, the numbers are somewhat misleading as a custom tune was used to gain the numbers shared. Additionally, I think the exhaust was modified.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi everyone,
We are having some air intake issues in my 2012 Nissan Xterra (she hiccups when it snows only). I have done some research and everyone says it is the air filter not sitting right. My husband and I checked it out today and are now talking about just upgrading the air intake system all together. Any advice on systems that are more efficient but can still handle the adventuring we do with the Xterra?
Thanks!
My experiences with CIA (cold air intake systems) it they all claim to make your stock engine run better and gain HP. On a stock engine setup you stand a good chance of loosing low end torque and only will gain a few ponies at the top of your RPM range. The CIA cant be great when combo'ed with other Mods.

·
Well then...
1,034 Posts
I have a Volant, it sounds really cool when heavy on the throttle.

Install? Pretty straight forward, but if you want the fully sealed airbox, you'll need to get creative re-locating the horn. As noted by many other members, one hold does not line up in the airbox to mount it. Additionally, you will need to slightly bend a brake line to install the air box as it is much larger than the OEM unit.

Power? LOL I don't know I drive a heavy off road vehicle, but it's nice to tell non-car people: "Yeah I got an intake, exhaust and bully dog tune".

MPG? I do 95% city stop and go driving so my MPG stays right at 13MPG between fill ups and that has not changed since I installed my intake a few months ago. On highway drives however, I noted going from a steady 16MPG no matter if at 65mph or 80mph to roughly 20.5MPG at ~70MPH on three separate occasions. (Note: this was with a bully dog tuner and custom muffler as well)

The Volant, however, seems to make the MAF sensor unhappy. I've gotten a few SES lights that come on and off randomly. It usually comes on after using about 3/4 of a tank so roughly 160ish miles (did I mention it didn't help much with MPGs). I might try to add some RTV to the MAF gasket as some folks say that's what causes the code.

My .02, hope it helps.

·
on line
2,343 Posts
Got the Volant kit years ago. A little research found the problem to really be the intake tube is too large where the MAF is at. Larger intake, more airflow, right? Trouble is you have to look at the MAF and see there is a little square hole in it. That little hole is actually what gets measured. The ratio of air going through the hole to the amount going around the hole is than calculated out and that is the amount of air measured entering the engine. 30 years ago when EFI was new people were trying to hot rod them. They saw the MAF as a restriction, so they ported it out. And the engine would never run right. It was quickly learned you can't just make the MAF larger.

I pointed this out to Volant almost 10 years ago. But it is larger and flows more air. I gave up trying to explain the problem. Couldn't find a good way to keep the stock MAF bore (and thus calibration) and ended up returning the filter kit. Too bad, I do like the powercore filter. I think it is a great bit of filter engineering. Too bad the engineering on the rest of the kit isn't as good. But Volant doesn't actually make the filter, they contract Donaldson to make the filter.

So what do I do? I'm still running a stock filter. It is a better filter and better plumbing than what else you can get.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
(An old post of mind from some time ago regarding the Z1 video posted previously)

The below post should be considered my opinion only based on the information which was shared on the videos by z1offroad.

To the best of my knowledge, the information posted below reflects the listed HP and Torque from the different cold air intakes tested. Note there is the potential I may have copied the data incorrectly and or posted this information in error. Confirm this information to be accurate on your own.

K&N ______HP: 237.06 TQ:264.08
NISMO___ _HP: 235.86 TQ: 263.49
INJEN 1___ HP: 234.66 TQ: 260.93
INJEN 2___ HP: 233.84 TQ 259.01
WPNR_____ HP: 231.31 TQ: 258.78
AFE_______ HP: 235.5 TQ: 259.32
AEM ______HP: 235.68 TQ: 263.68
VOLANT___ HP: 236.76 TQ: 263.09

For comparison, the speaker in this video stated the base line numbers on this truck were.
OEM ......HP: 218 TQ: 245

However, the stock truck was tuned with the resulting numbers being
Tuned .....HP: 233.67 TQ: 271.62

Video link of stock frontier dyno :

If I'm not mistaken, the below numbers should reflect the performance gained by adding a CAI over that of a tuned Frontier.

(17:53 time stamp on Z1 CAI shootout video) We did not retune any of these intakes for the test today. We just literally threw them onto the Frontier for the tune that we already had for the K&N.
Re: The end results do not show what you gained from factory to adding a CAI. Your viewing what the end results are after adding a CAI in addition to a custom tune for a K&N.

So what did the intake gain above having a tune?

K&N ______HP: +3.4 TQ: -7.54
NISMO___ _HP: +2.19 TQ: -8.13
INJEN 1___ HP: +0.99 TQ: -10.69
INJEN 2___ HP: +0.17 TQ : -12.61
WPNR_____ HP: -2.36 TQ: -12.84
AFE_______ HP: +1.83 TQ: -12.3
AEM ______HP:+2.01 TQ: -7.94
VOLANT___ HP: +3.09 TQ: -8.53

To make a point, you can expect to spend between $250 and $400 for your choice of cold air intake. Sadly, that's alot of money for the gained HP listed above. It should be noted there was a loss of torque in each of the tests listed.

These numbers reflect what I have seen in gain from a stock frontier and or xterra to one which has recently added a cai. ( typically single digit hp gains)

I've also seen 3-5 hp gains from simply swapping in a fresh air filter.

In my most humble opinion, if the numbers I've posted are correct, I would save the cash I may spend on a cai and use it to purchase a tuner.

Ps. The air filter which is stock with our 4.0 v6 is the same one which Nissan uses for the 5.6 V8 in the Titan pickup. If this filter can support the demands of a large V8, it probably flows more than well enough for our own needs.

One final thought.
Cold Air Intakes are not without any noticable gains. In most every case you will detect much more noise from your intake than you will from the factory unit. This increase in noise will often have you driving more aggressively to hear this noise from your latest modification. In turn, your driving habits add to the perception that you have power you can feel/hear.

There are vehicles which can gain significant hp returns by adding a cai, the Nissan frontier/xterra 4.0 engine dont appear to be such a candidate.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
584 Posts
My stock box was warped from aftermarket filters not fitting correctly. They are too thick and cause the bottom portion of the box to warp over time. I found a used volant so I could keep the sealed box and it'll work with the snorkel kits out there.

I have not had any issues with it. I use a aem filter as the previous owner destroyed the volant one. He did say the cel came on once in a while but with the aem filter I have not had one yet. It's a bit louder than the stock box was. I would not change the intake unless you really need to. Kind of a waste of money unless your stock box is the problem.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
1,029 Posts
(An old post of mind from some time ago regarding the Z1 video posted previously)

The below post should be considered my opinion only based on the information which was shared on the videos by z1offroad.

To the best of my knowledge, the information posted below reflects the listed HP and Torque from the different cold air intakes tested. Note there is the potential I may have copied the data incorrectly and or posted this information in error. Confirm this information to be accurate on your own.

For comparison, the speaker in this video stated the base line numbers on this truck were.

If I'm not mistaken, the below numbers should reflect the performance gained by adding a CAI over that of a tuned Frontier.

Re: The end results do not show what you gained from factory to adding a CAI. Your viewing what the end results are after adding a CAI in addition to a custom tune for a K&N.

To make a point, you can expect to spend between $250 and $400 for your choice of cold air intake. Sadly, that's alot of money for the gained HP listed above. It should be noted there was a loss of torque in each of the tests listed.

These numbers reflect what I have seen in gain from a stock frontier and or xterra to one which has recently added a cai. ( typically single digit hp gains)

In my most humble opinion, if the numbers I've posted are correct, I would save the cash I may spend on a cai and use it to purchase a tuner.

Ps. The air filter which is stock with our 4.0 v6 is the same one which Nissan uses for the 5.6 V8 in the Titan pickup. If this filter can support the demands of a large V8, it probably flows more than well enough for our own needs.

One final thought.
Cold Air Intakes are not without any noticable gains. In most every case you will detect much more noise from your intake than you will from the factory unit. This increase in noise will often have you driving more aggressively to hear this noise from your latest modification. In turn, your driving habits add to the perception that you have power you can feel/hear.

There are vehicles which can gain significant hp returns by adding a cai, the Nissan frontier/xterra 4.0 engine dont appear to be such a candidate.
All great information and supports the fact there is nothing to gain from a CAI at least on the 4.0.
The other thing the numbers don't show is that these are peak torque and HP numbers so it is pretty obvious by the gain in HP but loss in Torque these HP peaks have moved up in the rpm range. This tracks since the CAI gains would be higher up in the rpm range.
Now for the 4.0 and especially in the Xterra the last thing you want to do is lower the torque and gain high rpm HP since we don't operate in that range and the 4.0 was specifically designed for torque over peak HP.

So unless you want to spend hundreds of dollars to make your 4.0 "sound faster" then just keep the stock intake and enjoy the torque.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
584 Posts

One final thought.

So the numbers you took from the tuned truck stock intake were from a completely different day. At the beginning of the intake test video he explains that and that they got lower numbers on this day. He said in the video what they were and that several of the intakes tested on that day actually had higher hp and trq numbers. Dyno results are only really comparable if tested in the exact same conditions. I wish he would have posted one plot with the oem intake and the k&n and volant intakes because he directly says that both of those had more area under the curves for hp and trq. The volant didn't have the peak numbers of the k&n but had more area under the curve and would be his choice. Total numbers gained were under 10 hp and trq so nothing really noticeable either way.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts