Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new air filter today, after 18000 miles, the one i took out really wasnt dirty, a little on one side, but for the most part it looked good enough to leave in, i didnt of course, its in the new box ready for trash.

My question is this. The dude at the autozone was telling me spending 60 bucks on the k and n air filter will give me more horse power ect, last longer, clean it and reuse it. Im a firm believer in "bullshit." As in, i really dont think just changing the kind of air filter i have is going to make a noticable difference. Again, this is only the air filter, not the whole air intake. So what the hell do you guys think?

·
on line
1,667 Posts
i dont like how you have to clean the aftermarket intakes so much. i figure that after a week or two the filter gets clog and you loose the 5 some horsepower you just spent ~$300 on.
i think that the only reason why the whole intake makes a better sound is because it isnt inside a plastic housing, therefore you hear the air going though it.
once my filter is ready to be changed, im going with a drop-in like k&n or airhog. its cheaper and it doesnt have to be cleaned as much.

·
on line
187 Posts
changing out the filter will free up a little horsepower....the difference is not going to make a real difference. maybe a couple hp...but you can gain a couple hp from doing an oil change.
anyways...the k&N wouuld flow better, but you are still restricted by the design of the stock box.

the biggest difference b/t the intake system and a stock replacement would be the filter and the intake path. the aftermarket intakes almost always use a cone filter which will flow alot better (more even distribution)than a flat thing....you can get technical and talk about velocity stacks, but i dont think there are any intakes for our trucks that use v stacks.
the straight piping is the reason why aftermarket intakes roar

the 2nd biggest difference is the pipping. the piping is always straight and even....this will help with air velocity into the engine..... theres no extra chambers in the aftermarketintakes....the chambers help reduce intake noise, and act as a little pocket for when air is not used...kinda like storage...when the engine needs air, it will suck from the pocket of already filtered air, and then to the intakebox.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Your suppose to buy the 100K mile Air filter with a 4 year warranty clean with low air or vacuum, once a year, No oiling, no mess, higher airflow, better filtration from your sponsor. K&N would be last one I would get, However I have a new one at my house you can try out if you wish. MC

·
on line
564 Posts
I was wondering how long it would take before MC chimed in here!

I'm suprised you haven't sold a Amsoil filter to MC Jr yet.

Rob

·
on line
106 Posts
I felt we have discussed the intake on our X is pretty good and spending $300 could be better spent else where. Although it may sound nicer, if your wheeln on the reg most of the aftermaket intakes are just going to get dirty. What if you drilled some holes in the intake box on the stock intake would that free up some additional airflow, similar to the Injen intake.
MC do you sell Amsoil products?

·
on line
551 Posts
OBXOFFROADER18 said:
I felt we have discussed the intake on our X is pretty good and spending $300 could be better spent else where. Although it may sound nicer, if your wheeln on the reg most of the aftermaket intakes are just going to get dirty. What if you drilled some holes in the intake box on the stock intake would that free up some additional airflow, similar to the Injen intake.
MC do you sell Amsoil products?
Just do the intake mod, get the Amsoil filter (yes I am going to try one when mine needs chsnging) and you'll be good to go.
As for drilling holes into the stock box, I don't think that would work real well. Air would be to warm, I would think. Though if the holes were small, the amount of warm air would be negligible.
One thing I've seen them do with the Dakota's and Sububan's is to hole saw a 1 1/2 or 2 inch hole into the side of the box and then using dryer duct snake it down to a front grille opening. Additional cold air intake.
Thing is with the X you would want to cap it if wheeling in water or rain to avoid sucking water into the air box.
Also I'm not sure this is really needed on the size engine the X has.
But it would be interesting to try...

·
on line
3,484 Posts
robnfl said:
I was wondering how long it would take before MC chimed in here! I'm suprised you haven't sold a Amsoil filter to MC Jr yet.
Rob
Well answering two questions in one post, I'm not that big on Amsoil, I truly believe they have all the best products highly tested and unsurpassed. But.... I'd rather someone go read about it and By it if it fits what they want. I hardly ever mention it to MCampana, or anyone else. Personally I can't stand it when someone is always doing a hard sell on something. So, as I always say, I'm not selling Amsoil, I am buying it! And that is so true, it sells itself pnce people consider what it does.

They have a contract with DONALDSON to build Amsoil Filters, great combo, perfect products. MC

·
on line
1,361 Posts
i had a K&N drop in in my jeep. By the butt meter I gained a little bit, but not enough to make a sell on it. Also I never had to clean it but I feel like that would be a pain. The amsoil one sounds easier if you are dropping $60 for a filter.

Now from hear say, I have heard that oil can get sucked out of the K&N and into your the engine. I have also heard that on dusty roads (ie wheeling or gravel roads) that they do not filter as well as the paper ones so more dust can get into your engine. So a lot of guys would put paper ones in instead of their k&n's when wheeling or for cones they would put a pre filter on. One more thing I have heard is that if you get in too much water and suck water in your intake a paper one will swell up and kill your engine because you have no air flow versus a K&N will let water suck in then you are hydro locked. Again all from hear say and what i have read and not from my experience.

·
on line
355 Posts
For $60, hell no.

But buy the K&N drop-in for like $35 online, then you have a decent deal.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
lostboy said:
i had a K&N drop in in my jeep. By the butt meter I gained a little bit, but not enough to make a sell on it. Also I never had to clean it but I feel like that would be a pain. The amsoil one sounds easier if you are dropping $60 for a filter.

Now from hear say, I have heard that oil can get sucked out of the K&N and into your the engine. I have also heard that on dusty roads (ie wheeling or gravel roads) that they do not filter as well as the paper ones so more dust can get into your engine. So a lot of guys would put paper ones in instead of their k&n's when wheeling or for cones they would put a pre filter on. One more thing I have heard is that if you get in too much water and suck water in your intake a paper one will swell up and kill your engine because you have no air flow versus a K&N will let water suck in then you are hydro locked. Again all from hear say and what i have read and not from my experience.
From everything I learned in Amsoil schooling, everything you have heard is correct. K&N will soon change their ways you wait and see. MC

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Welp, it was time for me to do sumthin' about my air filter, and as I've already determined a CAI is a waste of money for this truck, I began to look for a better flowing/filtering filter solution. HERE'S one of the determining factors I used. Perhaps this'll lead to other Amsoil products for use by me, but I'm pretty cynical, so I'll take it one step at a time.

·
on line
358 Posts
I put a K&N filter in my 4runner 6 years ago. I noticed a fair amount of power increase and MPG. Well worth the money. Now the down side, OIL! First the easiest way to claen it is in a slop sink with liquid dish soap and hot water. Next let it dry. Then LIGHTLY oil. I did over oil once and gum up my mass air flow sensor. Once I cleaned the MAS everything was fine. I will probaply do a TrueFlow in my Xterra and my Jeep soon. http://www.trueflow.com/product.php?$page=filter&PHPSESSID=10fde1b83c48afefcd7e48f98cd8fa84

·
on line
355 Posts
DBAX said:
Welp, it was time for me to do sumthin' about my air filter, and as I've already determined a CAI is a waste of money for this truck, I began to look for a better flowing/filtering filter solution. HERE'S one of the determining factors I used. Perhaps this'll lead to other Amsoil products for use by me, but I'm pretty cynical, so I'll take it one step at a time.
thanks for that link, ill give it a read

·
on line
89 Posts
I would not buy another trueflow product ever! I followed the directions about messaging the oil into the foam when I bought it, and the stinking filter dripped oil into my air box. If the filter needs that much oil that it is dripping into the airbox how much oil is going the other way when air is forced through it. I stuck with it for about three months and the thing never stopped dripping. I am very happy with the amsoil ae filter though. My butt dyno seems to say I get just the same sound and power gains.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts