Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks everyone for giving me the key to installing the new headlight bulbs, it turned out to be fairly easy. I put in the best 9007 Phillips.

However, although the new bulbs are a slight improvement over the OEM bulbs in my 2012 Xterra, they do not throw anywhere the light that I get in my 2013 Subaru Outback with its OEM bulbs. Does anyone understand why this is so? Is the Outback lens configuration and reflector system just better?

Any suggestions for the next step up for improving the Xterra's headlights, perhaps by going to a different type of bulb?

The Xterra low beams with fogs are more substantial and brighter than the highbeams.

With the Subaru, when the highbeams are on, it as if someone has put out construction lights and you can see everything. Same with other Subarus I have driven.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
310 Posts
probably the housing design making the difference. also the subaru may have an oem projector for a housing. if you want optimal light output from the xterra headlights then do a retrofit on them. there is a user on the forum that sells the parts to do it(or he can do the lights for you for extra charge). alternatively you can go through www.theretrofitsource.com for the retrofit kit as well.

user on this forum: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50484

alternate place: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=227

Doing the projector retrofit will give you a factory type hid setup and will also still be hi beam/low beam. the projector lense concentrates the hid light really well. you get great visiblity and more concentrated light vs. stock xterra headlamp with a halogen bulb.

reference pic of a kit installed : http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1031

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
On my '11 the high beams were pointing to the sky. You may need to adjust where the lights are pointing.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
On my '11 the high beams were pointing to the sky. You may need to adjust where the lights are pointing.
Mine too, I had to adjust them a lot to get them right maybe like 5-6 turns.

That was the day after I bought it before lift or anything.

Although, even pointed perfect the hi beams blow big time.

Hid projectors are the way to go

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help. I really do not want to spend $300-500 for HID retrofit.

Any other headlights better than Philips? Read a little about Sylvania Ultra-white, but seems they only last a year. Any input on these or PIAA which also sounds good. Think I will send new Philips back to Amazon.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Nissan obviously doesnt require any sort of pre delivery inspection to check these things. My highs were too high until airbags lifted the rear a tad . Phillips xtreme power bulbs are great. My subie had better lights too.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I bit the bullet and bought the PIAA Extreme White 9007's about 4 months ago. Yeah, they are brighter, but I really think it's the reflector design that sucks when on high beam. I noticed that even with the beams properly height adjusted, the high beams throw a lot of light everywhere.

A note about high beam use - I did some research about headlight laws and if some of you recall, many cars/trucks are equipped with 4 headlights that are "on" when the vehicle is in high beam mode. Our X's don't do that. So, some of the people here talking about much better light output from a different vehicle might be comparing a 4 lamp high beam to a 2 lamp high beam like we have.

It's worth looking into your own state for laws, but in CA, it's okay to have a total of 4 lights on the front of a vehicle on during high beam use. They are limited to 55 watts, hence people being legal with 2 stock lights and 2 "driving" or "passing" auxiliary lights on their vehicles. The location of these lights is specified and they can't be on the roof, or even too low. If the lights are basically close to where the factory lights are (vertically), you can legally have your high beams AND a set of auxiliary lights on at the same time, both actuated by the high beam switch.

I noticed a huge difference in the high beams of my X after having my BMW (which had 2 projector HID's and 2 halogen high beam lights). Then I realized it was not just the HID's making the difference, it was having 4 lights on instead of 2.

Just a little FYI

·
on line
3,457 Posts
Has anyone tried the lifetime led bulbs? They are $149 but they will replace them if anything ever goes wrong. I'm thinking of getting them in the near future.
http://www.lifetimeledlights.com/9007-LED-headlights-_p_61.html
Question is do the LEDs produce enough heat to warm the housings? Say, if it snowed a lot and you're driving in the snow, do you want the snow to stick to your headlight housings? Most LEDs do not produce enough heat to melt away as regular headlights bulbs do.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Nissan obviously doesnt require any sort of pre delivery inspection to check these things. My highs were too high until airbags lifted the rear a tad . Phillips xtreme power bulbs are great. My subie had better lights too.
HAHAHA only you could work in a plug for airbags in a thread about light bulbs. Adjust your headlights? Nope. Just get airbags instead! :iconbiggrin:

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Thanks everyone for giving me the key to installing the new headlight bulbs, it turned out to be fairly easy. I put in the best 9007 Phillips.

However, although the new bulbs are a slight improvement over the OEM bulbs in my 2012 Xterra, they do not throw anywhere the light that I get in my 2013 Subaru Outback with its OEM bulbs. Does anyone understand why this is so? Is the Outback lens configuration and reflector system just better?

Any suggestions for the next step up for improving the Xterra's headlights, perhaps by going to a different type of bulb?

The Xterra low beams with fogs are more substantial and brighter than the highbeams.

With the Subaru, when the highbeams are on, it as if someone has put out construction lights and you can see everything. Same with other Subarus I have driven.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I've only used Silverstar Ultra's on mine since 2006, they are incredibly bright but only last 1.5-2 years.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts