Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

New 2014 Pro-4X

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  PGHx 
#1 ·
My 2000 Xterra was getting a little long in the tooth at 200k miles so decided to upgrade. Found a 2014 Pro-4x w/ 70k miles on Carvana for good price. I've read good/bad stories about dealing with Carvana cars but decided to take the plunge since they give you a 7 day return policy and 100 day bumper to bumper warranty if you keep it.

Long story short, car was in great shape on delivery aside from a squeal coming from the bad auto tension. No big deal, they had warned me about it before delivery and said it would be covered by the warranty. A few minor rock chips in the hood and some surface scratches but overall great cosmetic shape including the interior. Undercarriage had minimal rust which was surprising for a car that lived in Iowa. Had one owner and seemed to be taken care of.

Took it to my local nissan dealer for the PPI day after delivery. They confirmed it was the auto tensioner and would be replaced. I had to pay for the new belt since it was a wear item (looked in decent shape but figure might as well if they're already doing the tensioner). I also told them there was some steering wheel vibration around 70mph so warranty approved tire rebalance (Carvana had put some brand new cheapo all season highway tires on before delivery). Brake rotors/pads were in decent shape but pedal was soft so brake flush was approved. Front/Rear shocks looked a bit worn and had some pitting so replacement was approved for all 4. Also got a warranty cover wheel alignment with the new shock install. I asked about what I thought was a missing engine cover but the service guy said that year/model actually didn't come with one (confirmed this with google search). He ordered one anyway as it was approved by the warranty. It's very worth using the dealer if you have any kind of 3rd party warranty. They like to milk them and you get OEM parts. They do make them submit pictures/videos though before anything gets approved.

After it was all said and done I only had to pay for the PPI and the belt. I was a little disappointed to see they used the value advantage front shock/spring combo instead of the specific pro-4x shock (they did use the bilstein's for the rear). I'm guessing this is standard so they can save time on the install and make more $$$ on the warranty claim. Had I known that going in I would have tried to get the pro-4x specific shocks, but to be honest I probably would never be able to tell the different and it was all free.

See less See more
#10 ·
Yea, the NO Engine Cover really bothered me when I purchased my 2015 X, the salesman stated they no longer came with the cover, Nissan were saving them for the Frontiers being they were no longer making Xterra's after 2015, so I got mine engine cover off of a Frontier, the parts are all the same, and my engine no longer looks naked.

#7 ·
Man, I have heard horror stories about aftermarket warranties not covering a single thing. That is really awesome that you got most of the items covered! Hopefully that is all you have to do for a very long time (maybe rear leaf springs since those are trash new).

Reactions: mtnbound
#12 ·
Is actually found them in the trunk area so I threw them on for that reason. Definitely a huge upgrade over my 1st gen. Only downside is the suspension is a little jittery but I attribute that to the Bilsteins and super stiff KO2 tires.

I did have a small leak in the heater core outlet line that the warranty covered before it ran out. Not unexpected with all the plastic fittings in it. So far 100% worth the upgrade.

#14 ·
I was wondering how good of a service carvana is, so its good to know they are good for the warranty. I've seen a couple of cars on there and was too iffy to pull the trigger.

Nice X by the way
Condition can definitely be hit or miss from carvana right now. They are moving so much volume they do very little inspection even though they advertise 150 pt full inspection. Be prepared to take it to a shop/dealer asap for a PPI. I have heard some stories in the Reddit sub of silverrock denying things but worst case you can return the car in tbr 7 day window.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.