Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 186,000 miles on the white 06 S I traded up for a minty used super blk 2012 pro 4x.
The 06 was pretty much trouble free except for the timing chains/tensioners change at 175,000, so I figured why not roll another.

I'm pretty happy with it so far. Seems like the shocks are not matched to the springs as I would expect from the upgraded suspension and the lack of Bluetooth streaming to the Rockford. Kinda weird for a 2012 not to have that. I'm looking for a 2013 head unit now. Has anyone done this swap? I've been told that everything will function except the camera feature from just plugging it up to the factory harness.

Thanks

·
on line
2,244 Posts
I looked into doing the '13 head unit change. Not a simple plug in as it would look. The old system uses a separate Bluetooth module under the seat and a separate XM receiver on the kick panel. Steering wheel buttons looked different as well. Put the wiring diagrams side by side, lots of stuff not close. Decided that the old radio works just fine. No sense in butchering so much factory wiring just for streaming audio. Aftermarket radios just cause broken windows, after loosing way too much too many times I won't be doing aftermarket head units again.

If all you want is streaming Bluetooth audio, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OBCAW2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 plus a cigarette USB charger will fix you right up. Way easier and cheaper.

·
on line
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked into doing the '13 head unit change. Not a simple plug in as it would look. The old system uses a separate Bluetooth module under the seat and a separate XM receiver on the kick panel. Steering wheel buttons looked different as well. Put the wiring diagrams side by side, lots of stuff not close. Decided that the old radio works just fine. No sense in butchering so much factory wiring just for streaming audio. Aftermarket radios just cause broken windows, after loosing way too much too many times I won't be doing aftermarket head units again.

If all you want is streaming Bluetooth audio, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OBCAW2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 plus a cigarette USB charger will fix you right up. Way easier and cheaper.
Great
Thanks for the reply and info. I'll be ordering one of these this wknd and getting the wiring done too.
Hopefully I can grab a few rocker blanks at the dealer for a clean install

·
Registered
488 Posts
So you are saying that a 2012 PRO 4X without Rockford does not come with bluetooth? I thought all SE, OffRoad and PRO 4X came with Rockford? Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
I'm looking for a 2013 head unit now. Has anyone done this swap? I've been told that everything will function except the camera feature from just plugging it up to the factory harness.
Nope

This is the back of what you have.

This is 13+

13+ also has 5 buttons on steering wheel to control it, yours has 4.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
They're the same company now, aren't they?
Posted via Mobile Device

They are, but from what I understand the signal is still split between the 2 original carriers satellites. Which makes sense as people still have radios from before the merger. Sirius has a better signal than the XM likely due to them having 3 satellites. XM only has 2, they are named Rock and Roll.

I had Sirius in my previous vehicle, even with the antenna on the back dash under the window it rarely cut out. On the Xterra with XM even after putting a new antenna above the gear box it cuts out a lot. Trees, power lines etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
They are, but from what I understand the signal is still split between the 2 original carriers satellites. Which makes sense as people still have radios from before the merger. Sirius has a better signal than the XM likely due to them having 3 satellites. XM only has 2, they are named Rock and Roll.

I had Sirius in my previous vehicle, even with the antenna on the back dash under the window it rarely cut out. On the Xterra with XM even after putting a new antenna above the gear box it cuts out a lot. Trees, power lines etc.
Yup that's why I was asking - we travel thru the mountains and even in Calgary, I get a lot of dropouts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts