Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I recently went from owning a VW to the world of Xterra's
I have a Midnight Blue Xterra S 4WD 6spd manual, that I am loving more and more as I drive it and learn about these trucks.
Name's Dave, I live in Jackson Hole via Denver where I'm returning soon.

First thing I want for my X is a snowboard rack. Is the Yakima with the Mighty mounts the best way to go? Any other suggestions?
Also I'll be tinting the windows dark soon. I'm originally from New Mexico, old habits die hard. I don't want to sit in the fishbowl and get hot. Does anyone have suggestions on which percentage to go to make the rear windows darker, and match making the front ones dark? I'd like to go about 10%.

Thanks, and Hello
Dave

·
on line
237 Posts
Welcome! I have the Thule snowboard attachment...cause it was cheaper than the Yakima.

·
on line
237 Posts
Dbling said:
VanX
Welcome! I have the Thule snowboard attachment...cause it was cheaper than the Yakima.
Where did you find the Thule? I was looking on their website, and their system was more than the Yakima. Which one did you buy?

Thanks!
I got mine from Rack Attack...but in fairness, I don't know how the actual snowboard carrier (Thule 724 Flat Top) compares pricewise with the Yakima as that component was a gift (it was about $250 cdn). The actual mount for it (to attach it to our oval crossbars) was less than 1/2 of the Yakima mount (the Thule is dedicated for our crossbars, therefore simple, while the Yakima is universal, therefore complicated). I did not find the online automated fit guide useful. It steers you to a more complicated and expensive setup. Go into a store and ask a salesperson. You do not need additional crossbars or roof mount systems. You need the actual snowboard carrier and the mounts, thats it. If you need a pic of the system I'm running, I can send you one later this week as I'm heading up to Whistler this weekend. :drink:

Hope that helps - cheers!

·
on line
631 Posts
Dbling said:
Does anyone have suggestions on which percentage to go to make the rear windows darker, and match making the front ones dark? I'd like to go about 10%.
Dave
i have 5% over the factory tinted windows. its nice... nobody can see inside :bounce: the fronts are 50%. only cuz of utah laws, but i dont like utah laws so i will tint my fronts darker. only thing bad about dark windows is wheelin at night

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Welcome aboard! I spend June up in the Tetons and the rest of the year in CO. See ya on the trails!

·
TNX Administrator
20,444 Posts
:pirate: Ahoy, Matey! :newb: (n00b) Welcome! Yer on a site dedicated to Nissan's, "Next Generation Xterra." Step aboard, take in what you can, but promise to share what you learn! :3some:

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Welcome! :cheers:

·
on line
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does anyone know if the rear windows are tint (removeable) or colored glass (not)??
Is taking the rear tint off and retinting an option to get a good match between front and rear glass?
Might be too much of a hassle?

Thanks again!

·
on line
60 Posts
I don't think factory tinted glass is film tinted. It seems to be "colored" glass. But I've never really thought about it.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
Dbling said:
Does anyone know if the rear windows are tint (removeable) or colored glass (not)??
Is taking the rear tint off and retinting an option to get a good match between front and rear glass?
Might be too much of a hassle?

Thanks again!
Tinted glass not film. The best bet is to go somewhere that will let you hold up samples of the different tint to help you match.

·
on line
631 Posts
it is tinted glass. if you do 20% on the rear windows, 5% on the fronts will match. and you will have to do 5% on the rear hatch window as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts