Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this on horsepower TV the other day. It looks like a really good option for us guys. I got a lot of electrical draw on my truck with my stereo system,lights, and other stuff. I'v been having to get a new battery about every 3-4 years.
http://www.lithionicsbattery.com/neverdie.html
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,656 Posts
Know the cost? Not finding much on chemistry/BMS utilized. I wonder if I could make a kit that is cheaper :).

·
on line
8,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just noticed that on that website it says offroad use only on the ones they make?
But on Trucks they were using one of these batteries to replace a dual battery setup on a Dually.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,113 Posts
I would like to have something like that for the boat when we are drifting with the electronics on, but lithium batteries still make me a little uneasy after seeing that video of the Telsa on fire.

·
on line
1,656 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about Lithium. It is just that since it is still considered a new (relative) and evolving technology that if anything negative happens everyone hears about it. Having said that, I am not a huge fan of the Tesla battery by design (tons of welded connections across 18650's).

·
on line
1,656 Posts
Give me $1000 and I'll make you one that can be monitored and controlled by smart phones with twice the energy density :)

·
on line
10,980 Posts
lol ... nice.

Yeah, Lithium (polymer, ion, etc) is cool battery tech, I guess, and I'm sure as it becomes cheaper we'll see it trickle more and more into the mainstream ... but last I've had any cursory look, the batteries were stupid expensive - as has been hinted at earlier in this thread.

·
on line
1,416 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
It's a cool idea, but I think better is the enemy of good enough here. A quality absorbed glass mat (gel) battery is more than adequate for deep-cycle use and the vibration and shock of off-roading while still preserving battery life. Those of us who don't have the power drain can usually do just fine with a properly maintained regular lead acid battery. I have offroaded the crap out of my regular (non-AGM) battery and it's still cranking like new. I don't know what a lithium battery can do to top that. Longer reserve times? More CCA? Not based on what I read. Cool for laptops, not so much for my X, which gets abused and left out in the heat and cold year-round.

Put another way, for the price of one lithium battery, I can power my truck for the next 30 years, assuming I replace my battery every 3 years on average.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
The radio control scene has been using Lipo for years. They are great but if they get damaged they explode very violently. I wouldn't want a big one. The little ones we use will burn a car down.

They benifit of these type of batteries is that the provide constant power until a set voltage point and then cut off completely. Well the r/c ones do. Not sure how it would apply automotive.

They are lighter and more efficient than the old cell batteries we use.

Yes the require special chargers. And you have to charge them carefully. And you do not cycle them. I mean charge discharge charge again. Looks do not like force discharges. There is no need to it.

They can also get warm. Depends on how they are built.

And for price I pay around 100 each for a good high-powered racing battery for my r/c cars

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
615 Posts
I would like to have something like that for the boat when we are drifting with the electronics on, but lithium batteries still make me a little uneasy after seeing that video of the Telsa on fire.
lol actually Primer, the "Tesla fire" was not caused by the lithium battery. There was a huge piece of metal debris on the freeway that the driver ran over. It hit the undercarriage like a lever, with about 25 tons per square inch, and punctured the 1/4" skid. The emergency system advised the driver to exit the roadway (which he safely did). There was a fire that was contained within a small portion of the battery pack since it has individual cells that vent away from the cockpit. Only after the FDP came and made a hole in the top of the pack (recommended on other cars, but not this one) did the fire even become visible from the street. all in all, the fire STILL didnt breach into anywhere that could have made it worse.
Perhaps we should be more worried about driving around with 18 gallons of flammable liquid in underneath, esp if we dont have any skids.. or maybe the lithium battery you hold up to your ear.

·
on line
1,113 Posts
I did take it as an isolated incident, but with the way the media portrays things they make it seem worse than it is. I only caught a glimpse of the story heading out the door. The cell phone I worry about I never put that thing near my head whiles its on the charger. On a side note I do like those home solar panel kits and the fact you dont have to wait for the power company to come out to hook it up it would be nice, obviously you can't run anything large but save some money running the small stuff.

·
on line
14,613 Posts
[onsoapbox]One battery will always be a single point of failure.
Two batteries is a redundant system design.
every component has a mean time to failure.
When a battery fails you need an alternate plan. when a tire fails you carry a spare(or two).
air source? spare axle? seals? gaskets? etc...

Only point I'm trying to make is redundant/backup systems/plans for maximum operational availability.

IT guys sell or maintain 99.999 percent availability of computer systems.
We plan for hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, power grid failures, civil unrest etc.....
I know it is overkill but in the middle of nowhere what will you have planned for? [/offsoapbox]

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Seems to me that a lot of these Lithium batteries are being sold as "racing" batteries for a vehicle that isn't using a charging system. They're lightweight and would last the entire race without issue. It makes sense to me. Why bother with a charging system if you can simply use a battery that will hold enough charge and weighs 1/3 of a lead acid battery?

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I did take it as an isolated incident, but with the way the media portrays things they make it seem worse than it is. I only caught a glimpse of the story heading out the door. The cell phone I worry about I never put that thing near my head whiles its on the charger. On a side note I do like those home solar panel kits and the fact you dont have to wait for the power company to come out to hook it up it would be nice, obviously you can't run anything large but save some money running the small stuff.
Because the media makes money off of hysteria. Lots of cars caught fire in the past year that were gas powered, but did any of those make national news?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Lithium batteries are very susceptible to heat causing a runaway reaction in the battery cell. This is why you see battery fires in the new Boeing airplanes and electric cars. If anything causes the battery to get too hot (somewhere between 200-300 degrees) it can start the reaction and cause a fire. You would not want to install one under the hood since temps in there could easily get too hot. If you had a car with a trunk mount battery that could potentially work well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts