Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Alaska and I'm moving in a few months, I will be driving our Xterra S down the ALCAN Highway which is very hilly and bumpy. The problem is my rear susp seems to bottom out with a relativley light load! I will have a roof top storage box (aprox 150lbs) the rear cargo will be loaded (150-300lbs) and the trailer hitch cargo carrier loaded (maybe another 100-200lbs) then add me, my wife and two kids and the usual road trip stuff, we're looking at some weight here. I had my daughter and 5 of her friends in the truck and it was bottoming out over mild bumps (the girls are all 80-90 pounders) So can someone suggest a fix for this? I dont want it to have a severe rake when unloaded but a slight rake wont bother me. Thanks

·
on line
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, just read most of thread, and checked out there website, looks like they are just what the doctor ordered! Bought them 2 min ago, over 200 bucks though with shipping to AK! they look like they will be worth it though. I just bought the rears, that shouldn't matter right? Thanks guys.

·
on line
358 Posts
Since lifting ours I haven't bottomed out since.

·
on line
105 Posts
XVTer said:
You'll be fine with just the rear bumpstops :thumbup:
I agree 100%. It was not the Alaska Highway, but over the holidays, I took a 3800 mile road trip with the wife, two grown kids, 90 lb. airedale and a fully loaded M416 trailer from TX to ID & MT. I installed the Timbrens just for the occasion and they worked great.

FWIW - The Timebren kit comes with a spacer which I chose not to install. With the stock suspension I have about 1-inch of clearance before the Timbrens start to engage.

regards

·
on line
3,285 Posts
An add-a-leaf (AAL) would also work. I had a local spring shop install two full size leafs on each side. The ride is stiffer, but I prefer it that way. I do a lot of towing. The rake won't be that extreme with just an AAL. If you did an AAL and shackles, the rake would be much more pronounced.

Timbrens will definitely work also. They won't stiffen the ride when the vehicle is empty, and they will help you carry more weight than stock.

·
on line
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys thank you for the feedback, It is not easy dropping 2 bills on a mod like this but it sounds like it is going to serve it's purpose! Thanks again.

·
on line
750 Posts
I really couldn't believe how easy my X bottomed out when it was stock. Thought the rear axle was going to come through the cargo area just hitting a very low cattle guard at 30mph. Never happened in my old nissan pickup.

Now I have the Deavers and shackle system so we'll see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts