Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to go pickup some drywall tomorrow, I'm trying to figure out how to make everything fit. I think I'm going to get 4'x8' pieces. Will this fit inside the X? Can I find some way to close the rear door with bungee cords? Can I mount them to the top with bungee cords, without breaking the drywall?

Thanks!

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I'd go ahead and try fitting them inside first. If they don't fit, put them on the roof with nothing hanging over in front. Multiple layers of drywall should be alright if you strap it down. The strength should resist breaking. I wouldn't go over 25mph with bungee cords though.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If it's going to be dry out, I would put them on the roof. The secret is to buy 4 2x4's, Put two down on the roof, then your sheets of drywall and then two 2x4's on top and ratchet strap it down (do not over tighten the straps or you will bow the drywall).

·
on line
2,938 Posts
muzikman said:
If it's going to be dry out, I would put them on the roof. The secret is to buy 4 2x4's, Put two down on the roof, then your sheets of drywall and then two 2x4's on top and ratchet strap it down (do not over tighten the straps or you will bow the drywall).
It will not fit in the X with any easy. How many sheets and of what thickness? You will be limited by the roof weight limit.

You need to do as Jason says with the 2x4's. Also when you racket it down I take some of those extra glue together strips at HD and put them on top of the sheet rock b/w the strap on the ends. That way it doesn't damage the sheet.

·
on line
210 Posts
Any 4'x8' won't fit inside the X - Tried and tested personnaly :-((

I've tried with a plywood sheet (on a 45 degre angle) it scraps everywhere and it sticks out by 2½ feet. I would'nt try gypsum board.

Best solution if you have a lot of sheets: small 5x9 trailer. Otherwise, the 2x4 solution on the roof is the way to go.

Regards

·
on line
210 Posts
Oups! Sorry! Can you tell that we are having some IT problem on our end...

Thanks in advance to the Mod that will clean my mess - I won't do it again... I'll try...

·
on line
2,938 Posts
eXTra fORt said:
Oups! Sorry! Can you tell that we are having some IT problem on our end...

Thanks in advance to the Mod that will clean my mess - I won't do it again... I'll try...
Your Welcome

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You would be shocked at the amount, size and shape of building supplies you can strap to the roof of a vehicle.

Before the X, I had a Yakima rack on the Intrepid (for the bike). The stuff that I use to carry up there from Home Depot.

The big thing is, distance and speed needed to travel. I was about 6 miles from home depot on nothing more than 35mph.

·
on line
641 Posts
karrot-x said:
I need to go pickup some drywall tomorrow, I'm trying to figure out how to make everything fit. I think I'm going to get 4'x8' pieces. Will this fit inside the X? Can I find some way to close the rear door with bungee cords? Can I mount them to the top with bungee cords, without breaking the drywall?
If you look at my Filling up the back of the X thread, you'll see that there is more than 4 feet of width in the X's cargo area, once you are above the wheel wells. However, there isn't 8 feet of length.

Bungee cords are not suitable for attaching anything to the roof of the X (unless it's going to remain stationary!).

If you're going to be doing drywall, then presumably you have some tools, so this is what I'd suggest:
1)
Get a couple of sheets of 4x8 plywood - 1/2" should do.
2)
Get some pieces of 1x3 (e.g. 1-foot long pieces) and screw them along all the edges of both sheets of plywood, so that they stick out 1.5 inches past the edges.
3)
Get some pieces of 2x4 (e.g. 1-foot long pieces) and screw their narrow edge to the parts of the 1x3 that are sticking past the edges of the plywood.
Leave 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch between the edge of the plywood and the 2x4.
Do not attach the 2x4 pieces to one end of one of the pieces of plywood.
4)
Do a 'dry run', placing the piece of plywood without the 2x4s at one end onto your roof rack.
Put the end without the 2x4s at the rear, with it overhanging the liftgate just enough that you can screw up from underneath to attach the 2x4 pieces.
You may want to adjust the positions of the roof rack crossmembers.
You may want to add some pieces of 2x4 blocking underneath the plywood (i.e. screwed from above) to prevent this piece of plywood from moving side-to-side and backwards-forwards on the roof rack.
5)
Once you are ready, put both pieces of plywood on the roof rack, and tie them down.
Use ratchet straps and/or good rope (with good knots), not bungee cords.
Also take the remaining 2x4 pieces, some screws, and a cordless screwgun.
6)
At "the drywall place", remove the top piece of plywood.
From the rear of the X, load the 4x8 drywall sheets into the 4x8 'plywood tray' that is on your roof rack.
When you have loaded all the drywall, attach the remaining 2x4 pieces along the rear edge of the plywood.
Place the other plywood sheet on top of the pile of drywall.
Use ratchet straps and/or rope to tie the 'drywall sandwich' to your roof rack.
The edges of the drywall will be protected from the straps/ropes, especially if you pass them over the places where you attached the 1x3s.

Properly secured, you can drive any distance, and at highway speeds, with that sort of load on the roof, subject of course to the weight involved.

·
on line
735 Posts
the 2x4 stiffeners are a great idea. I'd do it for the 30 mph jaunt to the local home depot a mile away, but I do have a 5x8 utility trailer for just this reason. It's like having a truck without the gas, insurance and maintenance.

I'd have got a tacoma or frontier if it wasn't for my utility trailer.. the two worst parts about it are buying it and parking it.

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm, maybe I'll opt for 4'x4's. It will be more work in putty/sand but it will be easier to carry. Times like these really make me want a Titan...

did I mention I did 4 Titan builds last night on nissanusa.com... :angryfire:

Oh well, I'll get the drywall now, and then in 3 years I'll buy a Titan. That way I have both the X and the Titan :).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts