Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know we won't all agree, but here goes...

I have an 05 OR, the rear shocks are leaking and will need to be replaced. I've been on 4x4.com looking at the lift options with shocks, and was hoping you guys could give me some real world experience based advice.

Here's the situation:
I'm in sales and drive the car daily, so I don't want something to harsh (I know "harsh" is an opinion again).
I have snowmobiles and jetskis, so towing behaivior needs to be reasonable.
I still want it to look good! I've already put 285's on it, so I should be ok (lame, I know).

So, spacers or coils up front? How does the ride differ?
AAL or shackles in the back? How does the ride differ?
Overall favorite combo? Or should I just replace the shocks, and leave it alone if I can't get an acceptable ride quality for a daily driver (100+ miles a day).

Thanks in advance.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
AC's lift coils are stiff and will give a rough ride unless an aftermarket steel bumper is up front. Spacers keep stock ride quality, but tend to cause upper control arm contact with the coil bucket. PRG sells radflo coilovers, the 2" lift model is fairly stiff, the 3" is a bit softer of a ride, but requires the addition of new upper control arms. for the rear, a shackle or AAL, or both. ride quality won't be affected too much. remember, AAL will stiffen up the pack, shackle will not change the pack.

·
on line
234 Posts
willgr1 said:
PRG sells radflo coilovers, the 2" lift model is fairly stiff, the 3" is a bit softer of a ride, but requires the addition of new upper control arms.
PRG sells radflo coilovers with internal droop stop for stock uca that prevents cb contact.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Spacers will keep the ride soft up front; coils will stiffen the ride. Spacers are for factory bumpers, coils are for heavy aftermarket bumpers.

For the rear, I suggest an AAL because you tow. However, some people will suggest timbren bumpstops. Shackles will increase height, but not help with carrying capacity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts