Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So as most everyone else on this forum, I am trying to build my truck up on a budget. And with this being said, I have to pick and choose my mods correctly, as well as take advantage of sales when I see them. So here is my dilemma, and I would like all of your inputs on which direction YOU would go. :scratch:

I am looking to get my vehicle ready for mild off roading, and want to attend GONE Moab next year. I also want to be capable of tackling some of the mild trails in the Rocky Mountain region that are ran by the local members. Dilema begins here:

Nisstec 2" Basic lift Spacer W AAL on sale (Who knows how long) AND (No budget for Tires at the same time.)

http://www.nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58955&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

Also, want to get Radflo CO's in the future but not anywhere in budget as of now.

Have cash for sliders now which are not on sale. Plan on getting Hefty or RockyMtnX.

I have a Hefty bumper on order so will put that on when I get that, something to consider with installing Nisstec in coil spacers. So would I be benefit more from the sliders, or the lift on stock tires? I would be saving nearly 80 bucks on the lift so a good amount saved to put back towards sliders. Again, what would YOU do? :scratch:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would go with sliders! Also, if you are adding a hefty bumper soon you might want to look at saving longer for something other than the spacers so your ride will be better with a better suspension system. But yeah on the sliders option, with armor clearance isn't as much of an issue but if you only have "2 inches" more clearance without tires you'll probably be more limited and vulnerable to damage. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The majority is clearly on the sliders. And more thought into this makes me think that I should save the loot on the spacer lift and put it towards what I really want.

I am also noticing a trend that there not may "S" Model users on the board. How do the S's handle in our local trails? Am I modding a vehicle that will not be able to live up to my expectations? Or mainly be able to keep up with the locals that drive Off Road models.

·
on line
4,196 Posts
^^ I agree. For off-roading here in CO:
1. Sliders (protect the vulnerable rocker panels & doors)
2. LT rated tires.
3. Debatable at this point, depending on your own personal use plan. Skids, lifts, bumpers, etc. each have their own seperate purpose.

I would also highly recommend a CB radio (Hand-held is fine for trail use. Trail "chatter" is priceless! :) ), portable air compressor (ie; if you air down, have your own way to air back up), basic recovery gear, basic tools, etc.

·
Registered
335 Posts
^^^ What Buddy said. Armor first, lift later. Steel sliders and skids pretty much lets you get over most obstacles, one way or the other. A lift does not. I've got RMX sliders and Hefty skids with no lift yet. Dragged bottom over much of Middle St. Vrain and Coney Flats a few months ago, but got through it. Pretty sure even with the 2" lift I'd still be hitting some rocks. Others with lifts did. From a wheeling perspective, once you start upgrading the suspension, especially shocks, the only main difference between an S and Off Road/Pro-4X is the rear locker. But that's fixable with an ARB air locker. There's nothing money won't fix/upgrade.

·
on line
4,196 Posts
...I am also noticing a trend that there not may "S" Model users on the board. How do the S's handle in our local trails? Am I modding a vehicle that will not be able to live up to my expectations? Or mainly be able to keep up with the locals that drive Off Road models.
The "S" (& X & SE for that matter) doesn't have a rear locker. For all practical purposes that's about the only meaningful difference. Come on out for one of our local runs! We are a pretty friendly unassuming bunch who will help you throughtout a run. :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the advice! I will go ahead and go with the sliders first, and pick up some stock OR skids for "Basic" protection until the budget allows for real skids. Now if I upgrade the coil overs and armor up, the only thing I will be missing is the locker. Now how much performance is gained from the locker? Will that be a major issue for running more difficult trails down the road? I read up a bit on the ARB locker which requires a compressor and tank, which is more than I am looking at and that all adds up fast.

And to all of the local CO folks that chimed in, I would love to meet up on a few runs and get the tires dirty. I am out of town right now until Nov. so will be missing the rest of this years wheeling season, but should be good to go for next years. I am planning on going to GONE Moab next year too. Pretty excited about that.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the advice! I will go ahead and go with the sliders first, and pick up some stock OR skids for "Basic" protection until the budget allows for real skids. Now if I upgrade the coil overs and armor up, the only thing I will be missing is the locker. Now how much performance is gained from the locker? Will that be a major issue for running more difficult trails down the road? I read up a bit on the ARB locker which requires a compressor and tank, which is more than I am looking at and that all adds up fast.

And to all of the local CO folks that chimed in, I would love to meet up on a few runs and get the tires dirty. I am out of town right now until Nov. so will be missing the rest of this years wheeling season, but should be good to go for next years. I am planning on going to GONE Moab next year too. Pretty excited about that.

·
on line
845 Posts
Well - I have a 2010 S model.

For the off-roading you describe the stock S will work fine.

From there I would get good tires then maybe sliders.

Then a 2" lift. Forget the fancy shocks, bumpers, etc unless you want to throw money at it.

Toy Man

·
Registered
176 Posts
The only time I ever really needed my locker this season was this past weekend to get through some moderately deep snow heading up Kingston Peak. You'll be fine without one for most (if not all) the trails it sounds like you're interested in running.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only time I ever really needed my locker this season was this past weekend to get through some moderately deep snow heading up Kingston Peak. You'll be fine without one for most (if not all) the trails it sounds like you're interested in running.
Thats really good to know. Looks like I need to decide between RockyMTNX or Hefty sliders now. I want to co tinue to support local companies. And then will move onto tires. Which will give me about an inch of lift.

And from the sounds of it I should be good on the majority of trails that I want to run including MOAB. I do not plan on ever getting into the extremely hard core rock crawling etc. Because its my daily driver, but want more of an overland excursion vehicle. So mild to medium level off road trails.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Also, with the ARB air locker, you should keep your eyes out for deals ... they often can be had with a package from ARB that includes their basic compressor for the cost of the locker. Or an upgraded compressor for the cost of two. Winds up being a savings of right around 10% ... and you don't need to run a tank if all you're wanting it for is to run the lockers, the tank is a nice ad-on if you want to have a single 'all encompassing' OBA setup to run lockers, inflate tires and run air tools ... but the little ARB compressor won't be sufficient for that task, even with a tank (doesn't flow enough air, or have enough duty cycle).

Buddy's advice (and it sounds like what your plan is), is exactly what I would have recommended as well. Sliders, skids (stock first, if you can find a used set ... just so you have *something* while you let the funds recover from earlier purchases), upgraded tires when you need new ones, then lift & bumpers as you see fit ... but if you throw a front bumper in there on stock suspension, like you're planning on, I don't think anyone would fault you. Don't forget about recovery/safety/communications gear, as well ... depending on what you feel you might need (or want) to get, that can be a good chunk of change as well.

·
on line
1,449 Posts
Stock skids are all I run on mine. And they have sufficed so far. I have had 4 2G Xterras and only 1 was an OR. I rarely used the locker when I had it. All my other 'S' models went pretty much went everywhere everyone else went with no problems. I even wheeled while living in Colorado for nearly 3 years without sliders, but they are a good recommendation as a 1st choice of protection.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I want to thank everyone for helping me on this predicament. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Hefty Sliders. They are on order and will be waiting for me with my bumper!! Cannot wait to get all of these parts installed and pics posted of the build.

And Blaze its good to know that you have done some wheeling in an locker less X and had no major issues. I look forward to getting out there and getting dirty.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Yeah I have an S and have pretty much never got stuck in it. I also know my trucks limits and I don't do anything I don't think it can do. I've wheeled with jeeps, XJ's, and other rigs and kept up with just about all of them for the most part. Its more about knowing your truck and knowing how to drive it.

·
on line
1,449 Posts
And Blaze its good to know that you have done some wheeling in an locker less X and had no major issues. I look forward to getting out there and getting dirty.
I have wheeled trails that a locker would have made some climbs easier, but when ya don't have one, you learn to pick good lines and or listen to your spotter. Both are also important I'm addition to good protection.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts