Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some help deciding on tires. I'm looking at the GY Duratrac's and MT/R's. I need help deciding because I'm in the process of buying a house and selling a condo, so money is tight. I will need tires soon and with winter coming (and the new house being on top of a hilly, winding road) I will need better tires. I have about 32,000 miles on my stocks and a little less than 1/16 inch tread till i hit the wear indicator.

What tire...the duratrac or the MT/R

What size...285/75/16 or 265/75/16

I'll be buying five tires. Also I don't get to wheel all that much unfortunately, and probably less in the near future because of some big changes in my life, probably to focus more on the new house.

BTW I have a 2.5" PRG Advanced lift and a AC 2" body lift and 1.5" Wheel Spacers.

Thanks for helping a very indecisive member here!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Xreaking Havoc (sic) is selling an almost new set of 285 Falkens for $550 if you are worried about money, he's down in Philly so the two of you would probably have to meet in North Jersey

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,704 Posts
I have MTRs and I love em for wheeling and theyre good in fresh powder but they suck if you have to drive around on slick, icy roads.

I found this out living in Alaska.

The Duratrac was very popular up there and I knew a lot of people who ran them. Better on the ice (there was at least a foot packed down on the roads all winter up there) but when I rode on blacktop with them, I noticed they vibrated more than my MTRs

Duratracs are cheaper though, I think so theyre probably the better choice.

Id go with the bigger ones that way your not disappointed later and end up spending more money.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I have MTRs and I love em for wheeling and theyre good in fresh powder but they suck if you have to drive around on slick, icy roads.

I found this out living in Alaska.

The Duratrac was very popular up there and I knew a lot of people who ran them. Better on the ice (there was at least a foot packed down on the roads all winter up there) but when I rode on blacktop with them, I noticed they vibrated more than my MTRs

Duratracs are cheaper though, I think so theyre probably the better choice.

Id go with the bigger ones that way your not disappointed later and end up spending more money.
You should take them to discount tire and have them sipped for $13 a tire. Mine are AMAZING in all wet icy conditions now!

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Duratrac.

Or look into prices on Kelly Safari TSR, they are under the GY umbrella and look almost identical to the Duratrac. I have put over 50k miles on mine and they have been great in all weather and offroad. They have plenty of tread left. I got mine for about $50 less per tire than Diuratracs when I bought them( 3 years ago )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts