Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone !

So Im planing on changing some fluids on my 07X and I was wondering.. what type you guys are using.. ? what brands... and where do you buy them ?
I mean dose it matter.. ? if lets say got get it from walmart or amazon or some other auto store ?

what I want to change is..

-Transmission fluid
-Front diff oil
-Rear diff oil
-Transfer case fluid

I already did the engine oil change , Once I figure this out.. I can narrow down the types of fluids I need and do the change on my truck ))

Thank you.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Fair number of us have used Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic for the tranny and transfer case . $18 a gallon from Walmart. Good for the power steering too.
Prestone brake fluid. Valvoline synpower 75-140 $12 Amazon for the rear
Just finished up all fluid change a bit ago.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
845 Posts
This is a great list:

·
Super Moderator
4,357 Posts
This is my list for lubricants and fluids:

Engine Oil and Filter
Oil - Valvoline Maxlife 5w-30 - 5 qts
Filter - NAPA Gold FIL 7356 or Fram Tough Guard TG 6607
Oil Pan drain plug crush washer - NAPA ATM PB147

Automatic Transmission
Valvoline Maxlife (Nissan Matic S equivalent)
Needs between 4- 4 1/2 qts. for "drain and fill"
Requires same crush washer for drain plug as oil pan

Transfer Case
FSM calls for Nissan Matic D ATF or equivalent (ordinary Dexron III/Mercon)
I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF which is backwards compatible with Matic D so I only have to buy one type of ATF
Capacity when dry is 2 1/8 qt.; my last service required 1 7/8 qt.

Front Differential
Valvoline synthetic blend GL-5 80w-90, 1 qt.

M226 Rear Differential
Valvoline GL-5 full synthetic 75w-140, 4 ¼ pts.

[C200 Rear Differential requires API GL-5 Synthetic 75W-90 Gear Oil or Equivalent, capacity: 3 3/8 pts.]

Coolant
The FSM calls for Nissan long life coolant (blue) or equivalent.
I considered using Zerex silicate free coolant for Asian vehicles, but the cost difference between Zerex and Nissan coolants wasn't much so I have been using Nissan L248SP Engine Coolant (P/N 999MP-AF0009 - dark green), which was originally used by Nissan in my '05 Xterra. Later model Xterras were filled at the factory with Nissan Blue Long Life Coolant (P/N 999MP-L25500P), but I prefer to change my coolant more frequently than once every 105,000 miles/7 years as specified for "long life" coolants so the less expensive "regular" dark green Nissan coolant works for me.
Capacity: 2 3/4 gal. mixed 50/50 with distilled water if packaging not marked pre-mixed.

Brake Fluid
Any quality DOT 3 brake fluid. Always use a fresh container because brake fluid absorbs moisure.

Power Steering Fluid
Any quality Power Steering fluid.
Note that the Nissan FSM for Canadian Xterras states that one can use Dexron III/Mercon ATF

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thank you guys for the feedback...
so there is nothing wrong with buying it at the cheap place like walmart.. ? )) right...
times a hard now.. LOL 😆😅

·
Super Moderator
4,357 Posts
If it is in a sealed container and the brand you want, then feel free to buy it from the store with the best price. It will have the same contents as the sealed containers of brand name products in the high priced store.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much for good solid response.
And am I understanding this correctly that for rear and front diff I need different oils

·
Registered
464 Posts
I would stick with Valvoline for both the transfer case and tranny. There's a reason it's #1. The savings is not worth going with Super tech. I don't see the compatibility of the Walmart branded either.

·
Super Moderator
4,357 Posts
The Super Tech ATF in the link is okay for the transfer case but NOT the automatic transmission. You don't need an entire gallon. You can also use Valvoline Maxlife in the transfer case.

The Valvoline MaxLife ATF you linked is the proper ATF for your automatic transmission.

The first gear lube you linked is conventional oil, not synthetic blend or full synthetic which is what is specified by Nissan. I do not recommend it for this reason.

The second gear lube you linked is suitable for either axle, although you can also use the heavier viscosity 75w140 in the M226 rear axle found in the Offroad and Pro4X trim packages. For your purposes, to keep things simpler, I would use the same viscosity in both axles regardless of whether you have the M226 or C200 rear axle.

Please read my list again and pay particular attention to the type of ATF and whether the gear lube you are looking at is synthetic blend or full synthetic.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh boy... I thought I got it but now I'm more confused 😕

I'm sorry guys but is there any chance you can link from walmart the oils I need to buy for my truck please it would mean alot to me

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
If you're doing mainly drain and refills and want to make it easy, get all your fluids from your local Nissan Dealer, they are not that much more since you don't need much for drain and refills. If not, then re-read Mr.Bills post #4. That has EXACTLY what you will need for each fluid change.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 16 of 16 Posts