Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 X needs tires. Got 30k out of the stock rugged trails. Going back with the same size since I have already did the melt mod when I added the Pro Comp wheels. Plan on going with an AT tire for a little better off road capability, but since this is my daily driver (95% on road) I need a tire that rides good and will not kill my gas mileage. I think I have read every review and post here on the forum and am trying to decide between the
1. Cooper Discoverer AT3
2. Cooper Discoverer ATP (Discount tire exclusive)
3. Michelin LTX AT2

Any of the above has got to be better than the sotck BFGs, but which would you guys pick? Or if you have another suggestion I am all ears. I have also considered the below:

1. Duratracs - I think these will be too aggressive for a DD, plus have no warranty. I love the look though.
2. BFG AT KOs - I had these on my S10 and were a good tire, but get mixed reviews here on the forum
3. General Grabber AT2 - Similar to the BFGs with similar reviews.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
682 Posts
Still love my ATP's approaching 20k on them now and still have about 60% tread. I'm about 85% on road 15% off and they are great on road and I have yet to attempt something off road that have made me doubt them. Many air down cycles with about 1,500 off road miles and the tires have no bulges and minimal chunks and cuts. My only regret is not getting the 285 size...

·
Super Moderator
4,181 Posts
Before you get flamed for not doing a search, take a look at the tire "sticky:" http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4645

I think you will find that many of the regulars here are partial to Goodyear Duratracs. Some hate BFGs, others love them. General and Cooper also have their proponents.

Personally, I think the "best" AT tire depends on how much offroading you are really going to do, the difficulty of the trails, and the terrain. What works with mud isn't necessarily the best in sand, etc. Similarly, the needs of someone in the snow belt, the Southeast, and the Southwestern deserts are very different.

285 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Ive been running these procomp a/t's for 20k now, lots of varied terrain and highway miles and they've done very well. 4wheelparts always has sales too, so you can get them for cheaper if you try. Plus 4wp offer a pretty awesome road hazard warranty for their tires.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I like my Toyo Open Country A/T - think the new version A/T2 has some added design molding on sidewall for looks. Very quiet and smooth on highway and was able to get load C

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'll throw in a vote for the Hankook Dynapro ATMs (P Metric). I've had them on two different Xterras and have been very happy - on road they are great - quiet, perfectly balanced, good traction even in the wet. Off road they are fine, even cruising through muddy fields.

I did try the Cooper ATPs and after three attempts at balancing them in less than 1000 miles, Discount Tire finally gave up and I got the Hankooks again. The Coopers had super squishy steering characteristics that I didn't like anyway, no matter what psi I tried.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Firestone Destination AT -- excellent gas mileage. Have 60,000 miles on mine. Next time I buy I will go Toyo Open Country AT 2 (looks meaner)

·
Registered
855 Posts
I like my Cooper AT3s. Great off-road and in snow and awesome for the price.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
284 Posts
Why not C rated Duratracs? I have them they work great. No noise around town and a little on the highway. They are Snow rated if you need that. Worked great in the 2 ft of snow we got in New England this last year. And off road nothing beats them IMO. If you get them from Discount Tire Direct you can get a warranty.

Discount Tire Direct C rated DuraTracs

My 2 Cents

·
Registered
339 Posts
Toyo AT2s have a GREAT warranty

They have a tendency to reduce gas mileage, though.

I like the Hankook Dynapro ATm as well. They work in just about every condition except mud, as they load up and loose traction. They are quiet and handle well on the road. The price is right too!

I'd recommend working with your local tire dealer instead of ordering online. They will match just about any price you can find (usually) and will help you out with any warranty issues. Many also provide free balancing and rotation, especially if you pay for road hazard which I also recommend.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
BFG AT/KOs are the best All Terrain tire for on-road and off-road use. They are expensive, but they will outlast many similar brands.
X2. Replacing my set right now with another set. Had them for over 50k. They've served me well and I've never been stuck. And I drive my X daily. Excellent road manners. A hair noisy, but that's it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Michelins. I've had them on a bunch of Cherokees and Grand Cherokees, just put them on my Xterra. Now they have a 70,000 mile warrantee. Yeah the stock tires suck, but I knew that going in. I got 19000 on them.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
The BFG A/T is the most over rated, over priced tire on the market. They survive 100% on name recognition and looks.

Still love my ATP's approaching 20k on them now and still have about 60% tread. I'm about 85% on road 15% off and they are great on road and I have yet to attempt something off road that have made me doubt them. Many air down cycles with about 1,500 off road miles and the tires have no bulges and minimal chunks and cuts. My only regret is not getting the 285 size...
I still like mine. Only 10k miles on them but look new. They are already wearing better than my Destination A/Ts did. The dest a/ts were worn out at 30k miles. I rotated the ATPs at 7k miles and I noticed slightly cupping on the front outer edge (nothing major). I rotated them and its gone. Its no doubt do to me driving the Xterra like a sports car and faster than the mfr intended around corners. I decided to try driving like a sane person for a while and it hasn't come back.

I never drove aggressively with the Dest a/ts because the Xterra never felt as stable to me with the dest a/ts.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts