Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need new tires, and if Im going to get them put on tomorrow on my day off, I need to order them today, before 5pm (4.5hrs from now)

I have it narrowed down to the following. Prices include mount/balance

I use the Xterra mostly for daily driving, but go out to the desert/mountains/wilderness any chance I get, and Im not adverse to pushing the limits with the trails/terrain I wheel on.

Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx for $239/ea
or
Nitto Terra Grapplers for $209/ea
or
BFG All Terrain T/A KO for $239/ea (really my last choice on this list, but I had them in the past on my Chevy Truck and really did like them)

Please help!

THANKS!!! :drink:

P.S. Yes I did look through the tire-guide sticky... There is just too much info spread out for me to compile and go through while here at work.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Lots of guys here run Goodyear Duratracs. They're supposed to be a pretty nice all-around tire, with good performance on & off road. Also, if/when you do a trail run with a group from this forum, should you need a second spare, there's a good chance somebody else in the group will be running them.

I have Michelin LTX on for the winter, I like 'em. For the trail, I have Goodyear MTR Kevlars, which do well except on wet rocks (but give me one tire that excels in that scenario).

I think the MTRs are going to be a bit more pricey than the tires you are considering, but the Duratrac should be right in there.

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
For your uses, i.e., daily driver with forays into the Southern California desert and mountains, the Cooper AT3 should be on your list, perhaps even more so than the Cooper S/T Maxx, which is a great tire but has very stiff sidewalls.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well.. I just pulled the trigger on 5 S/T MAXX tires from Cooper. $239/ea mounted and balanced.. I should have them on tomorrow..

I went with the 285/75-16's, so it looks like I will be doing the melt mod tomorrow as well...

Thanks for the advice everyone!

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
I was specifically addressing the BFGs. I got Duratracs (which happen to be all-terrains, at least nominally).
I know the thread is over since he already ordered tires, but for our area, Southern California deserts, I have been super pleased with my mall terrains.

Granted, I don't have experience with anything else, but they were SUCH an improvement over my stock tires.

Also, maybe I'm subconsciously feeling threatened by your dislike of the BFGs and feel the irrational urge to defend their honor to the death because I spent money on them.... Naw, not that at all :D:drink:

Anyways, let us know how you like those tires when you get a chance to wheel them!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know the thread is over since he already ordered tires, but for our area, Southern California deserts, I have been super pleased with my mall terrains.

Granted, I don't have experience with anything else, but they were SUCH an improvement over my stock tires.

Also, maybe I'm subconsciously feeling threatened by your dislike of the BFGs and feel the irrational urge to defend their honor to the death because I spent money on them.... Naw, not that at all :D:drink:

Anyways, let us know how you like those tires when you get a chance to wheel them!
I will let you know for sure. In fact, if you want to go wheeling sometime, let me know! Gorman isnt that far from either of us..

And to add to what you said, the BFG All Terrains were a great tire on my 2 wheel drive Silverado.. I went a lot of places that I shouldnt have been able to go with that truck, partly because of the tires. They worked well in the sand in Glamis, worked well in the dirt in Gorman, and performed great on the street for many years.

When they finally wore out, I broke down and replaced them with the BFG mud terrains, which were a great tire as well.. With the big lugs to help aid traction, they allowed me even more confidence in places that I shouldnt have been with a 2 wheel drive vehicle, but when your hunting, you need to get pretty deep into places sometimes, and they never let me down.

These Coopers look good and I feel they will be a great fit for my wheeling environment and daily commute. I wish I didnt have to compromise, but such is life..

Oh, and heres a nice photo of my old Silverado.. I still kinda miss that truck..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts