Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attaching pics.. Is the wetness/oil around diff normal? How aboit around that panel under the bumper? Is this stock suspension? It seems rather tall but I never see another X around here to compare it to. And yea those tires gotta go lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Yes, the suspension is stock. The wetness up front is coming from a sloppy oil change, open it up and make sure the filter is tight, then clean the area.

·
Registered
2012 Pro-4x
26 Posts
Yep the stock yellow and blue Bilsteins 4600. Looks to be stock height, the pro4x comes stock on 32s so it will look a little taller. As far as the wetness that’s oil in both cases, as @Brunnie said just check out the front while you give it an oil change and clean it up. For the rear diff, I would drain the oil, crack the cover, clean it all up and put it back together some rtv gasket maker and some fresh diff oil.

·
Registered
2011 pro4-x
31 Posts
I had similar oil up front, when I put my new skids on I traced it to the back side of the oil cooler. I originally thought sloppy oil change too... after a little research it was a $10 seal and a really quick easy fix. Just a thought...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the tips. It turns out I am 90% sure I will send this one back to Carvana now. I was enjoying it immensly driving it around by myself but as soon as I put my family in it things changed. The back dropped as soon as they sat down. Driving it felt just like towing a trailer with too much tongue weight. It was very difficult to handle. I know the rear springs are known to be weak, but at just 39k? Is this really just how this truck drives?

Also one time when I put it in reverse and gave it gas it delayed a moment before engaging. I cant get it to do it again but I know it happened.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Thanks everyone for the tips. It turns out I am 90% sure I will send this one back to Carvana now. I was enjoying it immensly driving it around by myself but as soon as I put my family in it things changed. The back dropped as soon as they sat down. Driving it felt just like towing a trailer with too much tongue weight. It was very difficult to handle. I know the rear springs are known to be weak, but at just 39k? Is this really just how this truck drives?

Also one time when I put it in reverse and gave it gas it delayed a moment before engaging. I cant get it to do it again but I know it happened.
Those springs have been holding up the ass end of the X for 6 years now regardless of mileage that’s a lot of weight for a long time. The leaf packs on the X were inadequate from the factory and this will need to be addressed with any X you look at. Helper springs, AAL, or replacement packs are all viable solutions depending on the current state of the springs. I suspect some $60 helper springs (I rune them on my 2015 X) would suffice for several years but a new leaf pack will need to be purchased at some point. A one off lag in transmission engagement is whatever. I wouldn’t be concerned but my X has done weirder one off things than that. The diff weeping is nothing to worry about. Pull off the cover scrape off the old RTV and reseal it with a lubelocker gasket. Use the opportunity to upgrade the cover to an ARB while you’re at it.

You seem to be expecting a brand new vehicle from a 6 year old one so not sure what additional advice to offer up. If this is the same X you’re looking at in the other thread than you’re looking at an P4X with 40k miles for $25k. That’s a decent deal and comparative to the SUV market, a steal. As I stated on your other thread the next cheapest comparable rig you’re going to find with that kind of mileage is going to cost you at least $35k and will either come in the form of a Jeep or 4Runner. Of those 2 I’d go 4Runner for sure, or you can wait for the Bronco to be released but good luck getting one of those at (or near) MSRP in the next year. Not trying to sway you one way or another you just seem to have unrealistic expectations from a 6 year old used vehicle and the current SUV market in general. This X with only 40k on it has a TON of life left in it and if maintained would offer years of service. The decision is yours but I know where I would spend my money. For some additional perspective, I paid $20k for my 2015 P4X 6MT with 79k on it in July 2020. I would have gladly forked over an additional few thousand for an X with half the mileage. Keep in mind that used vehicle prices, especially SUVs, have continued to increase since July 2020 as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If this is the same X you’re looking at in the other thread than you’re looking at an P4X with 40k miles for $25k
Yea same one. I am sure you are right. I might still keep it, add the Hellwigs and better tires. Maybe replace sway bar bushings, and whatever other cheap suspension improvements I can do. After that if I still don't like the ride, I will just sell it back them I guess.

Bronco with sasquatch costs too much.. 4runners are everywhere and cost too much, and i'm just not a jeep guy. Looks like I don't have many options.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Bronco with sasquatch costs too much.. 4runners are everywhere and cost too much, and i'm just not a jeep guy. Looks like I don't have many options.
Don’t let me talk you into something you don’t want or like lol, I’m just some rando on the internet. If you really don’t like the X send it back. I’m just pointing out that the issues you have are easily remedied and not unique to that X and you have to remember that it’s a 6 year old used vehicle. It’s going to have some minor issues as will any 6 year old used car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does it have a manual gearbox?

Sweet Jesus, I haven't seen an undercarriage that pristine on an Xterra.... ever.

I'd buy that and own it for the next 20 years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol yea everything looks shiny and brand new. Its not that unusual around here in central nc. This one lived in SC so I guess they are same. Nah its automatic. Wish it was manual though.

·
Premium Member
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X 6MT Metallic Blue
25 Posts
Good evening all, as a 17 month owner of a 2015 P4X I purchased used for $22K at 38,000 miles in Iowa, what you described certainly sounds like a good deal. Agree with the previous posters in that what you describe is easily repairable and in no way exotic for a 6 year old SUV. Also consider that there are few if any alternatives out there as affordable and as capable as a good X, so hopefully you reconsider. I had to change the suspension all around once I got it home to Ohio, but the work was well worth it. Thank you for sharing your story, best wishes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good evening all, as a 17 month owner of a 2015 P4X I purchased used for $22K at 38,000 miles in Iowa, what you described certainly sounds like a good deal. Agree with the previous posters in that what you describe is easily repairable and in no way exotic for a 6 year old SUV. Also consider that there are few if any alternatives out there as affordable and as capable as a good X, so hopefully you reconsider. I had to change the suspension all around once I got it home to Ohio, but the work was well worth it. Thank you for sharing your story, best wishes.
Thanks, If I keep it I plan to do some small tweaks to make it drivable. In the long term I plan to do full suspension all around. I have read most of the posts in the suspension forum, an I have an idea what I need. Unfortunately I am getting some conflicting information, and some of the posts are rather old and may not be the best choices anymore.. Maybe someone can steer me to best options?

I want to keep 265s and stock height for now. Down the road may want to take it up 1.5 - 2.5 inches. Also would like to eventually add swing out rear tire carrier bumber, and add winch to stock front bumper. For now I will just add the Hellwigs to the back to firm up the stock springs. Long term, what is the best bang for buck combination of front coilovers and rear leafs to achieve what I need? Also I am having trouble determining which coilovers require UCA mods, and which do not.

Truck will be 99% DD with occasional overlanding. Maybe go a little off the road when I see something that looks fun to drive in, but definitely not rock crawling.

thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Understood, seems like at least some amount of suspension work is either contemplated or done by most of the folks on this forum.

I went ahead and changed the upper control arms with the ones from Freedom Offroad, followed by OME coilovers with medium springs and OME rear shocks, eventually will replace the leaf springs with OME Dakars in anticipation of getting a Blue Lake Offroad bumper/tire carrier, then moving on to replace the front bumper, most likely with a Hefty Fabworks aluminum number.

Some potentially more contemporary information sources include the Xterra subreddit as well as Ry the Car Guy (channel 1) YouTube channel. His videos in particular are educational and entertaining, he covers a full suspension refit as well.

Don't give up for if you get at least some pleasure in driving this unique vehicle then I would say it's worth investing some effort in improving your truck. I for one look forward to the 30 minute drive to work every morning in my X. Best wishes and check out Ry's videos!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Thanks, If I keep it I plan to do some small tweaks to make it drivable. In the long term I plan to do full suspension all around. I have read most of the posts in the suspension forum, an I have an idea what I need. Unfortunately I am getting some conflicting information, and some of the posts are rather old and may not be the best choices anymore.. Maybe someone can steer me to best options?

I want to keep 265s and stock height for now. Down the road may want to take it up 1.5 - 2.5 inches. Also would like to eventually add swing out rear tire carrier bumber, and add winch to stock front bumper. For now I will just add the Hellwigs to the back to firm up the stock springs. Long term, what is the best bang for buck combination of front coilovers and rear leafs to achieve what I need? Also I am having trouble determining which coilovers require UCA mods, and which do not.

Truck will be 99% DD with occasional overlanding. Maybe go a little off the road when I see something that looks fun to drive in, but definitely not rock crawling.

thanks everyone!
My build seems to match your goals. For suspension you only need UCAs with a lift over 2”. I’d suggest the 5100s with a spacer on top for the front lift and a new leaf pack for the rear. I’ve also contemplated OMEs and the feedback on them is good. Radflo’s or other coil overs will be overkill and more costly in the long run with rebuilds etc IMO. Others will have different opinions on this but you don’t need anything fancy for your goals.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Hey, Zanethan, thank you for the reply, agreed regarding the UCAs, but when I bought my X it had flimsy aftermarket UCAs that had squeaking heim joints which were driving me nuts, so it was a easy decision to replace then and be able to drive in peace. 😬 Take care all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My build seems to match your goals. For suspension you only need UCAs with a lift over 2”. I’d suggest the 5100s with a spacer on top for the front lift and a new leaf pack for the rear. I’ve also contemplated OMEs and the feedback on them is good. Radflo’s or other coil overs will be overkill and more costly in the long run with rebuilds etc IMO. Others will have different opinions on this but you don’t need anything fancy for your goals.
Ah that sound much easier than what I was thinking. Do you think the stock springs and 5100s would be ok with the added weight of the winch mount and winch?

Also, which OME leaf option would give me enough support for the new rear bumper, and a little extra capacity for heavier cargo, and 1.5-2" of lift?

·
Registered
754 Posts
I’m not sure about the OME set up but the medium/regular duty would probably be fine. And yes the 5100s will be fine with the winch mount and winch. I’m currently running them with no issues for 2 years and 15k miles. Total net weight gain is only around 75lbs for the setup. I do have my springs set to the 1” setting for some extra preload to compensate for the weight. The ride is perfect with the winch but was a bit harsh before I installed the winch.

Edit: shameless picture for attention and to show you how the 5100s sit with a winch mount and winch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts