Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to get new tires of mi X.
and im goin with the stock size no big or anythin.
till later

and i been lookin at the BF GoodRich All Terrain tires.
but i heard it is a little bit of a rough ride
so what tires do you guys recommend for the stock Size?

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I just put 40K miles on a set of BFG ATs, 265 75 16s. They were smooth as silk on the highway up to 90 mph. and completely dependable off road. Sharp rocks, sand, you name it. They're not fabulous in deep snow or mud, in fact they're pretty bad in these mediums, but otherwise, very smooth. In the rain, ice, you name it, fabulous all-situation tire, and certainly not a compromise on the road. Get 'em in a heartbeat. You won't regret it.

·
on line
358 Posts
It doesn't matter what tire you have if the snow is too deep. If it is so deep that the belly of the vehicle is smashed into it the tires will loose traction. On the other hand I have BFG ATs on my 4runner and they are great in the snow. I also like them offroad. But being in Colorado we don't see alot of mud. They might not do so well in mud. They ride great, are quiet and my last set lasted 75k miles. Before winter I replaced my old set with a new set. I also am a strong beliver in siping any tire, they last longer and add a ton more traction in the snow and ice. Siping is second best to studs. They got me thru the snows that we had this year, 36" at my house in the first one. It just plowed thru.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
The BFG Mud Terrains, my new tires, are not siped. BFG does that on purpose, of course, and I'm not sure why. Their own tech. on the phone wasn't sure. Lots of other M/Ts are siped.

Has anyone siped their BFG M/Ts? If so, what were the performance results? Lots of people love them on snow and ice in their stock un-siped state. Any arguments against siping them? I'm surprised to hear that tires wear better siped, for instance. Does it limit "chunking"?

·
on line
358 Posts
My son has BFG MTs and had them siped. They have been great in the snow. He has them on his Jeep TJ. They are fairly new and he hasn't done much offroading yet but they should hold up fine.

·
on line
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all this replys sound goodd

thanks

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Jang Pilmo said:
all this replys sound goodd

thanks
I have 265/75 BFG AT's. Only 2K on them, but they are doing well. I noticed no difference in the ride.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
d-rap said:
The BFG Mud Terrains, my new tires, are not siped. BFG does that on purpose, of course, and I'm not sure why. Their own tech. on the phone wasn't sure. Lots of other M/Ts are siped.

Has anyone siped their BFG M/Ts? If so, what were the performance results? Lots of people love them on snow and ice in their stock un-siped state. Any arguments against siping them? I'm surprised to hear that tires wear better siped, for instance. Does it limit "chunking"?
I have the BFG MT's and have been planning on buying a hot knife and sipping them myself. They would work much better on rocks and ice if they were sipped. I only worry about chunking.

·
on line
79 Posts
so ive been reading about the BFG ATs and you say they arent good in the mud and snow but heres my question... are they better in the snow and mud than the stock tires on the S model, the long trails i think?

why im asking is because here in nebraska we see alot of mud and snow and when i start looking for new tires i want to know this stuff.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
pavementSucks said:
so ive been reading about the BFG ATs and you say they arent good in the mud and snow but heres my question... are they better in the snow and mud than the stock tires on the S model, the long trails i think?

why im asking is because here in nebraska we see alot of mud and snow and when i start looking for new tires i want to know this stuff.
Most BFG AT's are rated for "severe snow" this allows you to use them when the chain controls state"Chains Mandatory or 4x4 with snow tires on all 4"

As for the mud, you would be better off getting the MT tires.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
My ATs weren't good in deep fluffy snow, because like with mud, the snow fills the void in the tire and takes the tread out of the picture. Unlike MTs or even more aggressive tires, there isn't enough void between the lugs for the tire to be self-cleaning. But in packed snow and ice they work great. And in sand, dirt, on road, and even in rocks--excellent.

They are infinitely better than the stock tires, Long Trail or Rugged Trail, which are both essentially road tires with off-road sounding names. I've been amazed at the way the ATs perform.

·
on line
564 Posts
Yup, I'm gonna go with the BFG AT's 285/75 16's. I've gotta find someone to purchase my Rugged Trails before I do though. The spousal unit will castrate me if I buy new tires already...with only 2K on the truck.

Rob

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I bought my ATs at 1K. I convinced my girlfriend that for the camping and travelling that she also loves, that the ATs were a necessity! And I made a believer of her when she saw all the places we could go safely and confidently, with no flats.

My corner tire store guy sold the Rugged Trails for me, and I think I made $175 on the deal, not a fortune, but better than nothing.

Now I'm making the same argument about my bumpers, winch, underbody skids, compressor, axe, hi-lift, SL, etc. And she ain't exactly buying it!

·
on line
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have decided to go with the

BFG AT tires..

but now im deciding on what size should i go with the stock size or a 285 or 275

what do you guys think and from experiences..

is it better to just stay with the stock size..

·
on line
237 Posts
d-rap said:
Now I'm making the same argument about my bumpers, winch, underbody skids, compressor, axe, hi-lift, SL, etc. And she ain't exactly buying it!
Let me know how this goes...my wife has bought into the skids and sliders already, but the bumpers (especially the front) is a bit more of a sell. The skids are easier to sell as its clearly not for looks (who sees them anyways?) and are cheaper than replacing the stuff its protecting. Perhaps we need an additional forum catagory..."How to convince the better half?" :geek:

·
on line
1,792 Posts
"Sweetie, remember the time we were stuck by Sheep Spring and couldn't get out and we had to walk 6 miles in that rainstorm? Well, if we had a winch (and a pull-pal deadman anchor, and a snatch block...) that wouldn't have happened. It's a safety thing. And to mount a winch, well, you need a really strong, big heavy bumper, which is why you need need new shocks and springs and shackles...."

I mean, there is a logic to it.

·
on line
237 Posts
d-rap said:
I mean, there is a logic to it.
If it were only that easy.... :blackeye:

·
on line
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how much pressure air do you guys put in your

BG Good Rich All Terrains

i just got mine and it says 65 PSI.

and i just wanted to know if thats wat you put in your All Terrain for the people that has it..

because when they put it on at "Discount Tire"

they put it on 35 PSI...

so just kind of curious i have it on 60 PSI righ tnoww

·
on line
1,792 Posts
65 psi is the maximum, "cold" air pressure for that tire, under great load. Even if your X were loaded for camping, with four people travelling in it, the gross weight would not necessitate 65 psi. You'll probably never need that much. Heavily loaded, especially if you one day get new steel bumpers, etc. you may want to put the tires into the low to mid 40s.

35 is the manufacturers recommended psi for our truck (the sticker is on the hidden inside edge of the driver's door). I've found that for all purpose daily driving 35 works great for me. Snow, off-road, etc., way lower, but that's for another discussion. Tires like the BFG AT are very versatile; they perform well from 65 psi (on a heavily loaded full-sized pick-up) down to 6-8 psi in the sand off-road.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts