Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, need some advice...
I recently purchased a 2011 X. Overall great experience so far! Upon buying the vehicle I removed the running boards and mudflaps. I must have over tightened the screws because after a long trip I noticed all of the mounting holes had cracked. Any ideas how I could quickly repair these? Am I going to be forced to replace the liners?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
JB Weld Plasticweld epoxy putty.
Score (scratch) the areas which will be glued to provide a surface which the epoxy can be bonded .

I would bond the area which is separated and epoxy a plastic patch on the back side(body side) which will help ensure long term integrity.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I honestly don't think a glue will last long term. If you do want to try one the best I have ever found was a 2 part epoxy - made for boats Bob Smith Industries BSI-201 Quik-Cure Epoxy (4.5 oz. Combined), Clear: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

You could find another piece of plastic you could rivet it into the area and epoxy the original and patch together - that might hold for a while. But thats a lot of work.

I would get some from a junkyard. If you have a pull a part near you they likely won't charge much. There not a part many people are looking for.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've been waiting to see some cool custom wheel liners for our trucks similar to what jeeps have available:
Someone could make a killing welding some custom aluminum well liners and selling them to the public for xterras and frontys.

Hell, with some cardboard and scissors you could weld your own.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
That would be awesome! I just use washers on mine. It works, might not look the best, but I need to clean up my fender trim job anyway.

Reactions: Brunnie

·
on line
473 Posts
That would be awesome! I just use washers on mine. It works, might not look the best, but I need to clean up my fender trim job anyway.
I'd second this- It doesn't seem like the cracks will really need much reinforcement to keep the liners in place. Some large washers should be fine (esp. rubber ones if you can find em).

I had to replace the fender liners on my 2011 as well after I bought it (they were chewed-up in the front and rubbing the wheel). As someone else mentioned, they really aren't that expensive and it's a straightforward install. Try washers, if they don't do it for you functionally or aesthetically just throw new ones in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts