Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 xtera , and need to know the right bilstein shocks all around and upper control arms , I bought a 3 inch lift for that bit extra wheel space , and bought 4 bilsteins along with upper control arms. that said I took it to a mechanic and they told me they are the wrong shocks the control arms don't fit and they couldn't fit the 3 inch lift kit....yes they were not too bright I'm afraid. SO that's where I am, spent lots of cash and so far am no where closer to having my ride , well rideable. Any one who's done this ? would love a bit of knowledge please. I tried to reinvent the wheel without much success.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
It might help if we knew more about the lift kit , which Bilstein shock and some info on the upper control arms you purchased.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It might help if we knew more about the lift kit , which Bilstein shock and some info on the upper control arms you purchased.
Sorry , never joined a forum before . Also just got my mind blown due to purchasing what I thought were legit parts but I may be an idiot , not quite sure yet . I guess my question is I bought bilsteins all around but my mechanic insists they don't fit , yet shock warehouse sent me the supposed correct ones . Their respective numbers are 24-187053 and 33151670 .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great ,thats what I thought , do you know the correct ones , I have 3 inch lift , pucks for the front and shackles for the rear , not installed yet but that's my plan.

·
Registered
9 Posts
purchased 24-187053 33-151670 are the two front and back numbers , but my mechanic tells me they don't fit ,so.?
The correct rear partnumber is 24-187169. You can run the Frontier partnumber as well, partnumber 24-187152. The Frontier partnumber is just under an inch longer in extended length if you need a tad more travel. You have the correct front partnumber.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 33-151670 appears to be very close in measurements to the rear Nissan partnumbers. It's a ZJ partnumber. One bushing is 16mm, the other is 12mm. The Frontier and Xterra have a 16mm bushing and a 14mm bushing. Did you kit include a 14mm sleeve to use in place of the 12mm?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The correct rear partnumber is 24-187169. You can run the Frontier partnumber as well, partnumber 24-187152. The Frontier partnumber is just under an inch longer in extended length if you need a tad more travel. You have the correct front partnumber.
So first off thank you so much for taking the time to write and post all that , its pretty cool that you would do that , I get this is an xtera forum and this is part of the forum , but it's still very cool for you to put any amount of work in for me like this so again , i'm extremely grateful.
Let me make sure I understand you correctly , so it looks as though I'll need the sleeves for the front 33-151670 's , they weren't included unfortunately. Your saying that the 33-151670 are correct front's but just need sleeves ? and that the correct rears are 24-187169 but if I need a little bigger then go for the frontier 24-187152's are good ? and the numbers you gave are good for a 3 inch lift ? O.K> so let me ask this , I bought upper control arms , heavy duty for off roading , but again they don't fit supposedly . Now I'm only saying this because I took my Xtera over there 5 days ago to fit new brakes, slotted rotors and pads , upper cont. arms , lift kit , shocks and 5 days later picked it up with a broken window , rear lift dented , brakes installed but can't drive it due to it shuddering like crazy , they couldn't do the shocks , lift kit , nor upper control arms, and because they dented and broke the glass that he did replace , I'm worse off than before I took it there . lol jokes on me I guess.

So do I need upper arms if it's lifted with new shocks ? or anything else for that matter ? again thanks in advance .

·
Registered
9 Posts
So first off thank you so much for taking the time to write and post all that , its pretty cool that you would do that , I get this is an xtera forum and this is part of the forum , but it's still very cool for you to put any amount of work in for me like this so again , i'm extremely grateful.
Let me make sure I understand you correctly , so it looks as though I'll need the sleeves for the front 33-151670 's , they weren't included unfortunately. Your saying that the 33-151670 are correct front's but just need sleeves ? and that the correct rears are 24-187169 but if I need a little bigger then go for the frontier 24-187152's are good ? and the numbers you gave are good for a 3 inch lift ? O.K> so let me ask this , I bought upper control arms , heavy duty for off roading , but again they don't fit supposedly . Now I'm only saying this because I took my Xtera over there 5 days ago to fit new brakes, slotted rotors and pads , upper cont. arms , lift kit , shocks and 5 days later picked it up with a broken window , rear lift dented , brakes installed but can't drive it due to it shuddering like crazy , they couldn't do the shocks , lift kit , nor upper control arms, and because they dented and broke the glass that he did replace , I'm worse off than before I took it there . lol jokes on me I guess.

So do I need upper arms if it's lifted with new shocks ? or anything else for that matter ? again thanks in advance .
No problem, happy to help. To reiterate:

Frontier / Xterra front 5100 - 24-187053
Xterra rear 5100 - 24-187169
Frontier rear 5100 - 24-187152
ZJ Grand Cherokee rear - 33-151670

By itself, the front 5100's will not net 3" of lift. You would have to use a spacer in combination with preload on the 5100's in order to get 3" of lift. The 5100's alone will only net about 2" of lift with the OE spring preloaded. If you're using preload and a spacer you will need aftermarket uca's to avoid coil bucket contact.

The ZJ rear shock can be made to work on an Xterra rear. The length of the shock is correct for a 3" lift. You'd just have to adapt one of the two eyelets.

We recommend reaching out to the shop you purchased from and get more information on the kit you purchased. There isn't enough information here to tell whether you need additional pieces to complete your lift or not. If you post a list of all the parts you have with partnumbers us internet-folk may be able to help more.

We also recommend finding a different shop to perform the labor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No problem, happy to help. To reiterate:

Frontier / Xterra front 5100 - 24-187053
Xterra rear 5100 - 24-187169
Frontier rear 5100 - 24-187152
ZJ Grand Cherokee rear - 33-151670

By itself, the front 5100's will not net 3" of lift. You would have to use a spacer in combination with preload on the 5100's in order to get 3" of lift. The 5100's alone will only net about 2" of lift with the OE spring preloaded. If you're using preload and a spacer you will need aftermarket uca's to avoid coil bucket contact.

The ZJ rear shock can be made to work on an Xterra rear. The length of the shock is correct for a 3" lift. You'd just have to adapt one of the two eyelets.

We recommend reaching out to the shop you purchased from and get more information on the kit you purchased. There isn't enough information here to tell whether you need additional pieces to complete your lift or not. If you post a list of all the parts you have with partnumbers us internet-folk may be able to help more.

We also recommend finding a different shop to perform the labor.
O.K. sorry I got a bit confused there , the front 24-187053 will work ( not sure what you mean about preload ? ), and the 33-151670 work with the bushing switch out , so basically I do have the correct ones , just the rear need the different bushings . I have a 3 inch lift (not installed yet ) with spacers in front and shackles for rear , and I do have after market UCA's that are for my Xtera, so maybe with a better mechanic it'll all work out smoothly . Now as far as the pre load , is that referring to the springs I'll assume ? when I called the shock store , he told me he forgot that I needed parts for the front shocks to work ......would you recommend buying any additional rear leaf springs , like the one leaf you add for a little bit more load capabilities ? I just have the shackle extensions , no actual rear help but the shocks . I'm trying to figure out how I can add a photo of the UCA's to show you , but all I can do is email it I believe , well as afar as my skills go. Anyhow all that said I am very grateful for your help and all the work you put in , It's funny , but today few places are set up to accept calls to actually speak to someone , and they are actually selling the parts , but on here , your doing this for free and you don't even know me , so again I am very very grateful , you saved me time , hassle , probably money and a big headache. Cheers my friend .

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can recommend a great shop in Alhambra that will help you figure it out and install it, Carroll’s Brake Shop on Main installed my PRG advanced kit and were reasonably priced. They’ll probably recommend that you also replace your LCA bolts with adjustables too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Most car & truck coil springs are made to be progressive, meaning that the ends (top & bottom) are softer than the center. Example: a 200lb person gets in vehicle, the ends of the four springs compress a tiny bit to evenly distribute the weight (200÷4=50lb per spring. But as you drive, if you hit a big speed bump or a dip in the road, the springs compress considerably to "absorb" the impact. Or if you're on the freeway junction, and the road banks, the car leans to one side because of its weight. That's when you have preload. When the "ends" of the springs are compressed, the center section is stiffer.
Some companies offer a preload spacer that compresses the spring when installed INSIDE the strut assembly. Other lift spacers go above the strut to push the strut/spring assembly down for that added lift. The problem, as stated above by others, is the coil/bucket contact. Strut assembly gets pushed down too far to where the upper control arm physically hits the strut mounting bucket. The "upgraded" control arms realign the geometry to avoid that contact & allows more lift. This is why you have to select carefully, not buy cheapo ebay parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 xtera , and need to know the right bilstein shocks all around and upper control arms , I bought a 3 inch lift for that bit extra wheel space , and bought 4 bilsteins along with upper control arms. that said I took it to a mechanic and they told me they are the wrong shocks the control arms don't fit and they couldn't fit the 3 inch lift kit....yes they were not too bright I'm afraid. SO that's where I am, spent lots of cash and so far am no where closer to having my ride , well rideable. Any one who's done this ? would love a bit of knowledge please. I tried to reinvent the wheel without much success.
I too have a 2012 and have Bilstein 5100's and leveled front is adjustable and raised 2", I think it is 3/8 " higher in front though. I am eventually going to raise the rear by 1". It will help the sag when I pull my trailer. I went with Hercules 275 65 18 Terra Trac T/G Max and Slam Level 8 Wheels. Over look was exactly what I was going for, but it was an interesting process in deciding what would look good, be functional and work. Nissan has a sucky bolt pattern and they don't make a lot of wheel options for us.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can recommend a great shop in Alhambra that will help you figure it out and install it, Carroll’s Brake Shop on Main installed my PRG advanced kit and were reasonably priced. They’ll probably recommend that you also replace your LCA bolts with adjustables too.
My girlfriend and I are thankful , seriously , yes , I would like to know of said shop , I'm not too far from Alhambra so maybe a good fit , please let me know and again I truly am very thankful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My girlfriend and I are thankful , seriously , yes , I would like to know of said shop , I'm not too far from Alhambra so maybe a good fit , please let me know and again I truly am very thankful.
Silly me , I just realized that you already did give me the name , anyhow cheers for that !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts